Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How smart are the masses?

Some would say that a majority of people can't be wrong. Is that true?

Because to me, it seems like quite the opposite most of the time. Jerkoff politicians being elected, the success of Fox News (it wouldn't be so successful if it didn't a large enough audience) and it's liberal equivalent (I'm sure there is one), minorities of people being persecuted for not being like the masses, and the masses easily believing ridiculous myths and superstitions, these are just some examples of the masses not being all that bright. Or maybe I'm supposed to believe that all of the bad things happening in this world is always because of some powerful minority?

Thing is, even if a powerful minority was always to blame, then all it would mean is that the masses are impotent and weak-willed. How is that better than being dumb?

I did read once that slavery was once popular with the masses. Wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

BANNED

Theres aliens on the moon who control the information beind procieved around the earth.

Thus by keeping the masses numb they control people in groups, or sheep, who ultimately make stupid choices or uneducated ones and allow these politicians who work with the aliens to allow them to make food out of us and keep us in a stupor.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I wouldn't presume that the average person is less intelligent than I was. Everyone has their own stuff to deal with and choices to make. Some folks have book smarts, some folks have emotional intelligence. We're all different.

BANNED

Pretty smart in general. People are getting progressively smarter. Go back 100 or 200 years and the average person was just a complete dumbass. The average person today is a lot more intelligent. The effects of income inequality still bring down the curve, we're selfishly starving the development of children and that produces dumber adults. But as that situation improves we'll get even smarter overall, and our great grandkids will look back and call us complete dumbasses.
    Last edited by Stony; 11-08-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: trolling

I've met pieces of toast smarter than the people I run across daily.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

"The Masses" are a (mostly illusionary) shit-ton of people whose intelligence, conscientiousness and
    virtue vary. The idea of a collective “mass” doesn't take into account the high level of individuality
    between people and creates an alienating us vs the other mentality. Systemic oppression is real and
    while various conspiracies exist, many entirely un-obfuscated but these conspiracies are fairly limited
    in nature and scope when compared to the vastness of constantly evolving social-historical inertia
    which builds the true framework for “the system” (a philosophical machine which consumes human
    and natural resources to generate society / culture disproportionately dispersed through a constantly
    shifting oligarchy). A mass is a mass of individuals, there are no masses.
    Last edited by Prisoner 6655321; 11-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The masses are morons. Its a proven fact. The masses can't be right at times.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

The amount of people i see walk into moving traffic daily and get mad when they get beeped says the masses are pretty dumb.

BANNED

The masses are dumb, but lovable. In a carnal sense.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

It's more difficult to communicate with a group than it is with an individual. The masses seem dumb for that reason only.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It's more difficult to communicate with a group than it is with an individual. The masses seem dumb for that reason only.
    You're one of THEM, aren't you?

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

The masses are made up of individuals. To think that all those individuals are beneath you seems kinda arrogant.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

just another user doesn't presume:

I wouldn't presume that the average person is less intelligent than I was.
    I would. I don't have the slightest hesitation.

Everyone has their own stuff to deal with and choices to make.
    What does that have to do with intelligence?

Some folks have book smarts, some folks have emotional intelligence. We're all different.
    Emotional intelligence is a meaningless phrase made up by people without the regular kind.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Usually, terms like "smart" and "dumb" are relative. Who are we comparing the masses to?

I guess you could compare them to groups like MENSA, that are deliberately designed to select for smart people. But it's a bad comparison, precisely because they've been selected on that basis. You could just as easily select a group of low-intelligence people for comparison, and say, "Look! The masses are brilliant!"

I find the term "The masses" a little weird. If you're not
    a) A senator,
    b) A multi-millionaire, or
    c) A Nobel Prize winner;

... then you probably are the masses. Just like all the rest of us.

õ
    It's not a bad thing to be!

BANNED

the fact that shows like Hardcore Pawn, Dancing With The Stars, Grey's Anatomy, and The Wendy William's Show are all still on the air proves that the masses are indeed stupid.