All-New Member

Default Panel Description

I recently just started getting into writing comic book scripts and I'm finding out that I am struggling with providing panel details. I find myself trying to describe camera angles and whether that is what I want shown. I would rather give basic details of what is going and let the artist decide unless I think that the added details are absolutely needed.

How many writer's write panel descriptions like Alan Moore? I'm curious how you guys do this. Perhaps you could provide some examples.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

So whats the problem?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Ya, nothing is wrong with using camera angles for panels. That's how I work, and if my artist thinks there is a better way to do it, he does it (after asking me of course haha)and has done that and it always ends up looking good.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

All-New Member

[QUOTE=CrazyOldHermit;686313]So whats the problem?[/QUOT

My question is how much detail should one put in their panel description in a script? Do you describe every little thing or just the bare necessities allowing the artist to decide "camera angles" and the like.

Thank you for the reply Power Torch.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

[QUOTE=WynterIII;686877]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    So whats the problem?[/QUOT

My question is how much detail should one put in their panel description in a script? Do you describe every little thing or just the bare necessities allowing the artist to decide "camera angles" and the like.

Thank you for the reply Power Torch.
    It really depends on your artist. Some want more detail some want less. One time a artist I was working with wanted to know the size of the noise, my current artist wants whatever then he puts his own spin on it. So write how you write, then when you get an artist if he or she wants more detail, add more details. If theycwantcless, remove some. I write my stuff like a movie script, no one has complained so far.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

All-New Member

Thanks for you tip.