Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default Weekly collection reviews part 18: Spectre Crimes and Judgemen

Previous reviews:
    part 1-15
    part 16: Change
    part 17: Weapon X

I'm going to start this review by apologizing for the recent delays. I hope it won't happen again any time soon. To get to the point, this week's review will be about one of my all time favorite stories: Spectre Crimes and Judgement (or as I like to call it "The Reaver saga") by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake

As you might know, John Ostrander is one of my favorite writers. As you might not know, Tom Mandrake is one of my favorite artists. So a collaboration of those 2 is equal to awesome-sauce in my book. Let's start by explaining a bit about the Spectre first:

The Spectre was created in the 40s by Jerry Siegel (mr Superman himself) but never reached the popularity of Superman. The Spectre was an almost omnipotent being who was created by an entity called the Voice who rejected the killed cop Jim Corrigan from going to heaven and instead brought Corrigan back to punish all evil as the avatar of Vengeance, also known as the Spectre. The Spectre starred in anthology series by Dc and in JSA but faded away like most Golden Age characters after WWII. The Spectre was brought back several times by Dc but the several titles he got struggled from the same things every time: the omnipotency of the Spectre (how can you write good stories about an omnipotent being?) and the Comic Book Code Authority. Every attempt to make the Spectre popular failed, Until the 90s arrived. First there was the Spectre's role in Kingdom Come that made the Spectre more popular again. Dc then decided that the Spectre should get another solo serie, and they hired Ostrander and Mandrake to do it. Magic was made and the series lasted over 60 issues and became THE quality book in Dc's line up.

The first story arc, only recently collected by Dc, is probably one of the best of the title. The story starts of with the Spectre brutally punishing some criminals as only Mandrake can depict it

This attracts the attention of a good-looking HIV positive girl named Amy Beitermann. Amy comes into contact with Corrigan and Corrigan reveals that he is the avatar of Vengeance. After some origin tales and soul-searching (literally) the real story begins! The Spectre comes into conflict with demons, tortured souls, angels, the devil himself and even a crazed Madame Xanadu while the local police is haunted by a serial killer called the Reaver who only kills women with aids.

The whole trade is essentially one big unfolding story but there are a lot side-stories along the way with a lot soul-punishing and detective work along the way. The greatness of this depiction of the Spectre is the character of Jim Corrigan. Corrigan is a cop from the 30s, he has a good heart but can be harsh and a jerk sometimes. But the most wonderfull thing that Ostrander explores is the meaning of justice. Corrigan was sent back to earth to deliver justice but how can Corrigan deliver justice if he is not sure what justice is? Aside from the amazing horror stories, Ostrander has filled this comic with philosophical elements, though it never gets preachy.

This book is grim, no doubt about it. The main character searches for justice he can never find and brutally kills criminals along the way. But still, and this what makes it so great, Ostrander gives us little pieces of light in the darkness. When something extremely bad happens, he always puts in an element to comfort you, no matter how little. It's thanks to this that the book can deliver quite some emotional gut punches every now and then.

Aside from all that, it's also one of the most suspenseful comics I've ever read. It makes you stress out at just the right moments and gives you lots of reasons to not put it down.

To give you one last reason to buy this, just look at dat art!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

The Spectre has never really interested me, but I've heard that the Golden Age stuff, the Fleisher/Aparo run from Adventure Comics and this are the highlights, with this in particular showing up on lots of "best of" lists. I've only had the chance to read the Fleisher/Aparo run (via the Showcase volume) and while it was nice to look at, it did nothing to make me more interested in the character. That being said, I am a HUGE fan of the Ostrander/Mandrake Martian Manhunter series so I may eventually have to give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    The Spectre has never really interested me, but I've heard that the Golden Age stuff, the Fleisher/Aparo run from Adventure Comics and this are the highlights, with this in particular showing up on lots of "best of" lists. I've only had the chance to read the Fleisher/Aparo run (via the Showcase volume) and while it was nice to look at, it did nothing to make me more interested in the character. That being said, I am a HUGE fan of the Ostrander/Mandrake Martian Manhunter series so I may eventually have to give this a try.
    It's hard to be interested in the Spectre to be honest. Like I said, an omnipotent character is hard to write in an appealing way. Perhaps Ostrander's biggest achievement is making the Spectre (and Jim Corrigan) interesting. Ostrander+Mandrake is always great. Their Firestorm is also very good, they did a very good Batman arc (opinions are divided but I thought it was great) and I also love their Martian Manhunter series(haven't read Grimjack yet). But this serie is the best imo, altough they are very different so it's hard to judge. The trade is fairly cheap ($20 for 12 issues) so I'd say give it a go!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I have a coupon which I think I can use on this trade, so if nothing more important comes, I'm gonna finally order this book! I'm just a bit out of the comicbook buying recently but I'm expecting to be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I have a coupon which I think I can use on this trade, so if nothing more important comes, I'm gonna finally order this book! I'm just a bit out of the comicbook buying recently but I'm expecting to be back soon.
    Very good Balakin! Definitely let me know how you like it when you read it

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

I had a curiosity about the Spectre, so I bought this sight unseen, and was really impressed with it. Do subsequent arcs hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGhosts View Post
    I had a curiosity about the Spectre, so I bought this sight unseen, and was really impressed with it. Do subsequent arcs hold up?
    I haven't read all of it yet but what I've read and what I've heard it stays good after the first trade, actually I have heard some issues are even better than the first issues. I'm counting on the trades to finish the title and collect the missing parts. Actually, the serie was so popular and critically acclaimed that Dc actually let Ostrander end the serie (like really end. The character wasn't featured anymore for years after).

You've convinced me to order it... whenever I can. My Swiss debit card does not work online, and I'd rather limit the credit card to necessities... Damn bank.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I haven't read all of it yet but what I've read and what I've heard it stays good after the first trade, actually I have heard some issues are even better than the first issues. I'm counting on the trades to finish the title and collect the missing parts. Actually, the serie was so popular and critically acclaimed that Dc actually let Ostrander end the serie (like really end. The character wasn't featured anymore for years after).
    Then the new 52 came, and look at what we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You've convinced me to order it... whenever I can. My Swiss debit card does not work online, and I'd rather limit the credit card to necessities... Damn bank.

Then the new 52 came, and look at what we've got.
    That sucks man.

What happened to the Spectre in the New 52? I haven't came across him yet (don't read that much New 52)

My first encounters with the Spectre were quite recent (Batman Eternal and the JSA) but they got me really interested! Great timing Victor, will order the trade with my next (huge to be birthday) haul!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    My first encounters with the Spectre were quite recent (Batman Eternal and the JSA) but they got me really interested! Great timing Victor, will order the trade with my next (huge to be birthday) haul!
    I know everything!

Let me know if you like it when you read it.
    Oh, and happy birthday!

Yes, it's great all way through.
    spoilers:
    Though I wish Amy hadn't died. The relationship between her and The Spectre would have been a great thing to explore.
    end of spoilers
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Yes, it's great all way through.
    spoilers:
    Though I wish Amy hadn't died. The relationship between her and The Spectre would have been a great thing to explore.
    end of spoilers
    Definitely
    spoilers:
    But Ostrander (and Mandrake) did handle her death like pro's. Especially the Madame Xanadu part. That's the little light in the darkness I talked about what made this serie great. Amy's death is one of the most emotional/best executed comic book deaths period
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It gets better as it goes on, although "The Haunting of America" goes on a bit too long. I'd actually argue that the final year is the best material in the whole series. Ostrander and Mandrake even made the Genesis crossover issue something special.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I know everything!

Let me know if you like it when you read it.
    Oh, and happy birthday!
    I will! Though my birthday isn't until December but I'm already planning the haul out haha, thanks in advance! Really curious to see how a good Spectre story unfolds, seeing as he is really... powerful.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..