Default Has Disney made its money back from purchasing Marvel yet?

sure, the films have been hits and monster hits but they weren't cheap to make either. all things (movies, tv, licensing, toys, theme parks etc) considered, has that 4 billion dollar investment been recouped?

Spectacular Member

Probably, not. But if they were to sell Marvel, they could ask and get 8-10 billion from the deal, so the brand has gained a lot of value since the deal...

So they bought them in 2009, lets do the math

Iron Man 2 - 423 million (profit)
    Thor/cap - 500 million
    Avengers - 1.3 billion
    Iron Man 3 - 1 billion
    Thor Dark World - 475 million
    Guardians/Cap 2 - 1 billion

So the movie profits alone are 4.6 billion dollars

Closer to 4.7. Although I think you're counting gross there, not net.

But regardless, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Disney is quite satisfied with their purchase.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    So they bought them in 2009, lets do the math

Iron Man 2 - 423 million (profit)
    Thor/cap - 500 million
    Avengers - 1.3 billion
    Iron Man 3 - 1 billion
    Thor Dark World - 475 million
    Guardians/Cap 2 - 1 billion

So the movie profits alone are 4.6 billion dollars
    Did you including marketing and distribution costs? Or the take the theaters get, which increases every week those films are theaters? Did you include the diminishing returns you get from the foreign gross, where Marvel films tend to make a lot of their money?

In a few years they will probably get there, but people really need to not look at bulk numbers and do nothing more than look at the budget and subtract from the gross.

The theaters' take is still a pittance compared to the overall gross, even if a movie runs for months. That's why the concessions are so damn high; without them, the theaters couldn't turn a profit.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Did you including marketing and distribution costs? Or the take the theaters get, which increases every week those films are theaters? Did you include the diminishing returns you get from the foreign gross, where Marvel films tend to make a lot of their money?

In a few years they will probably get there, but people really need to not look at bulk numbers and do nothing more than look at the budget and subtract from the gross.
    You don't need to because you also factor in all the other areas where Disney makes it's money off Marvel. Licensing, merchandise, publishing and the TOYS.

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...-the-great-rec

Disney stock alone has risen 350% since 2009

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    You don't need to because you also factor in all the other areas where Disney makes it's money off Marvel. Licensing, merchandise, publishing and the TOYS.
    This is key, add whatever those numbers are too movie revenue and you can take all the marking costs out you want, they still made out like bandits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    The theaters' take is still a pittance compared to the overall gross, even if a movie runs for months. That's why the concessions are so damn high; without them, the theaters couldn't turn a profit.
    Ok then that still leaves marketing, and that still isn't taking into account a gutted foreign grosses are. And it's still pretty sizeable at that.