View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Clone Saga?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+: Among the all-time best comic book runs.

3 3.57%
  • A: A great Spider-Man era.

10 11.90%
  • B: A good Spider-Man era.

22 26.19%
  • C: An unremarkable (or very mixed) Spider-Man era. Much of the material is not worth rereading.

22 26.19%
  • D: A poor Spider-Man run. The material is usually not worth reading.

12 14.29%
  • F: Complete Garbage.

11 13.10%
  • N/A: Haven't/ Won't Read It.

4 4.76%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Actually, I love "Revelations"---one of Mackie's best scripts and outstanding art from JR Jr. If Norman were better used after this story, I suspect it would be more fondly remembered.
    One of the top spidey arcs of all time imo. Vastly important. As much so as the Night gwen stacy died.

As dark as it is, I think this should be adapted to film. It would blow people's minds.

Hopefully Peter will find his daughter in 616 so Marvel will stop sweeping this huge moment in Peter's life under the rug. I cant believe OMD retconned this.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 03-31-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    One of the top spidey arcs of all time imo. Vastly important. As much so as the Night gwen stacy died.

As dark as it is, I think this should be adapted to film. It would blow people's minds.

Hopefully Peter will find his daughter in 616 so Marvel will stop sweeping this huge moment in Peter's life under the rug. I cant believe OMD retconned this.

Well, I certainly can't agree with you on it being one of the top Spidey stories of all time (and certainly not on a par with TNGSD!) but I appreciate your appreciation of it as I do feel it is very underrated. Also, not sure how well it would translate to film: to me, the rewards of the story come from the slow build of the players and having "lived through" the entire Clone Saga. I am not confident that a film could effectively build the attachment to Ben Reilly and create the mystery of who might be behind it all----let alone the reveal of a major villain who had---at the time---been "dead" for over 20 years.

Well, I certainly can't agree with you on it being one of the top Spidey stories of all time (and certainly not on a par with TNGSD!) but I appreciate your appreciation of it as I do feel it is very underrated. Also, not sure how well it would translate to film: to me, the rewards of the story come from the slow build of the players and having "lived through" the entire Clone Saga. I am not confident that a film could effectively build the attachment to Ben Reilly and create the mystery of who might be behind it all----let alone the reveal of a major villain who had---at the time---been "dead" for over 20 years.
    If they "james bond" the spidey movie franchise I could see it working. Revelations is the key reason to get into the clone saga territory on film.

How is the Peter losing his baby with the return of Norman not as impactful as him losing his gf with the death of Norman? I tie TNGSD and Revelations together storywise with the latter being a sort of sequel. Revelations was TNGSD of my generation.

If they "james bond" the spidey movie franchise I could see it working. Revelations is the key reason to get into the clone saga territory on film.

How is the Peter losing his baby with the return of Norman not as impactful as him losing his gf with the death of Norman? I tie TNGSD and Revelations together storywise with the latter being a sort of sequel. Revelations was TNGSD of my generation.
    Hmmmm. Well, I guess because we never met the baby, it's hard to compare the loss (narratively, at least) to Gwen's death. Again, I share your admiration for "Revelations"--I think it is among the more underappreciated stories in Spidey history; I just can't go quite as far with it as you do. BTW, I own the TPB which is a great collection and the colors in it are fantastic; just an FYI in case you don't already own it!

Hmmmm. Well, I guess because we never met the baby, it's hard to compare the loss (narratively, at least) to Gwen's death. Again, I share your admiration for "Revelations"--I think it is among the more underappreciated stories in Spidey history; I just can't go quite as far with it as you do. BTW, I own the TPB which is a great collection and the colors in it are fantastic; just an FYI in case you don't already own it!

It's interesting how I read and loved Ben Reilly's stories but the baby's death and seeing MJ suffer in the hospital was 10x more impactful to me than Ben's death. So much so that Ben was almost like an afterthought compared to that. Perhaps because one of my first good memories reading Peter and MJ's marriage was MJ's announcement of her pregancy and how happy and excited Peter was over the prospect of being a father.

TPB sounds cool. Does the TPB also include the followup Spectacular 241? I can't tell from it online, but that issue is gorgeous and very well narrated. Check it out if you haven't.

It's interesting how I read and loved Ben Reilly's stories but the baby's death and seeing MJ suffer in the hospital was 10x more impactful to me than Ben's death. So much so that Ben was almost like an afterthought compared to that. Perhaps because one of my first good memories reading Peter and MJ's marriage was MJ's announcement of her pregancy and how happy and excited Peter was over the prospect of being a father.

TPB sounds cool. Does the TPB also include the followup Spectacular 241? I can't tell from it online, but that issue is gorgeous and very well narrated. Check it out if you haven't.
    could partly be that ben’s death was written as somewhat inevitable, whereas the baby didn’t seem so certain. also, ben’s death scene was not overly sympathetic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    No and no.

Why subject yourself to two yours worth of bad stories?
    Because Ben Reilly. That's why!

The TPB actually does not include that issue but I own it separately and love it; in fact, I had Luke Ross sign the cover at last year's NYCC!

The TPB actually does not include that issue but I own it separately and love it; in fact, I had Luke Ross sign the cover at last year's NYCC!
    Nice, that's awesome! Also, it's great to have you as a mod! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    could partly be that ben’s death was written as somewhat inevitable, whereas the baby didn’t seem so certain. also, ben’s death scene was not overly sympathetic.
    Storytelling was kinda weird with Ben's death. It wasn't clear if Osborn meant to kill him, or if he died saving Peter.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets