All-New Member

Default Batman 70's & 80's tpbs/collections

Hi guys, I've been sifting through most of the influential Batman stories for a while now & am fairly up-to-date with the current Batman world, etc.

I've started to go back to the Bronze Age stuff & have been loving it but there doesn't seem to be much out there, at least from what I can tell. So my question is: is there anything out there in tpb or collected editions from the 70s/80s which are similar to these:

Strange apparitions
    Tales of the demon
    Batman in the 70s
    Batman in the 80s

Thanks very much!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yuvie View Post
    Hi guys, I've been sifting through most of the influential Batman stories for a while now & am fairly up-to-date with the current Batman world, etc.

I've started to go back to the Bronze Age stuff & have been loving it but there doesn't seem to be much out there, at least from what I can tell. So my question is: is there anything out there in tpb or collected editions from the 70s/80s which are similar to these:

Strange apparitions
    Tales of the demon
    Batman in the 70s
    Batman in the 80s

Thanks very much!
    Hi there I also recently went back to the old school with batman and the 70's and 80' pre crisis collections in trade and the yrafes I went through were these in this order.. first the 3 neill adams trade collections,and then Batman marshal rogers collection,then the Batman don newton collection,then the Batman gene colan collection,then finally the Batman alan davis collection.. some of these collections are some what incomplete here and there but give you a good glimpse of batman through the 70' to early 80's and improved my knowledge of batman history and made me feel ignorant for previously dismissing this era in batman history as unimportant prefering more modern batman fare but these collections opened my eyes and contain some real gem batman stories.
    Last edited by Dr.Octagon; 11-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.

BANNED

I recently found 'The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told' used and really dig it, it has a lot from that era.

Tales of the Batman: Len Wein absolutely belongs alongside Strange Apparitions and Demon Saga as a high point of the Silver Age. It's out in December and apart from an entire run of classic issues it also includes Untold Legend of the Batman which was the definitive, career spanning origin up until Year One.

I now that There is no hope in Crime Alley has been reprinted in Batman in the seventies but since it OOP I wanted to know if it was collected somewhere else (I have tired googled it but with out success).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Octagon View Post
    Hi there I also recently went back to the old school with batman and the 70's and 80' pre crisis collections in trade and the yrafes I went through were these in this order.. first the 3 neill adams trade collections,and then Batman marshal rogers collection,then the Batman don newton collection,then the Batman gene colan collection,then finally the Batman alan davis collection.. some of these collections are some what incomplete here and there but give you a good glimpse of batman through the 70' to early 80's and improved my knowledge of batman history and made me feel ignorant for previously dismissing this era in batman history as unimportant prefering more modern batman fare but these collections opened my eyes and contain some real gem batman stories.
    Read the Jim Aparo and Bob Haney on Brave on the bold? Volume 2 is still in print however volume 1 is OOP however it is collected in Showcase format.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 11-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    I now that There is no hope in Crime Alley has been reprinted in Batman in the seventies but since it OOP I wanted to know if it was collected somewhere else (I have tired googled it but with out success).

Read the Jim Aparo and Bob Haney on Brave on the bold. Volume 2 is still in print however volume 1 is OOP however it is collected in Showcase format.
    Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told 1989 - needs to be the '89 though and not 2005 edition (which has an Alex Ross cover). This is edition you want to own regardless as features the greater amount of otherwise unprinted 70's and 80's stuff. The 2005 goes either too modern or too 50's/60's. Contents

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post

Read the Jim Aparo and Bob Haney on Brave on the bold? Volume 2 is still in print however volume 1 is OOP however it is collected in Showcase format.
    Yer i've wanted to for a while but was put off buy vol 1 being so damn out of print and exspensive!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Tales of the Batman: Len Wein absolutely belongs alongside Strange Apparitions and Demon Saga as a high point of the Silver Age. It's out in December and apart from an entire run of classic issues it also includes Untold Legend of the Batman which was the definitive, career spanning origin up until Year One.
    Yer i've been waiting on the release of this collection.. love the way morrisson in his batman RIP run referenced the untold legends stories in this collection.. as in making us think maybe bruce was losing his mind again and was actually his own master villian and subconsciously manipulating himself lol

All-New Member

Thanks very much for the response so far. I have really enjoyed what I've read from that era so far but there's not a big amount out there. It's a shame that not more complete runs have been put together.

The Len Wein set looks great & will be checking some of the others too.