Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    It's hardly next to impossible. The studios have shown that they're willing to start a comics-adaptation franchise over from scratch multiple times if they think they can make money from it. Right now, we're discussing a reboot of the Fox FF films, which were only mediocre performers at the box office the first time around despite two of the actors (Chiklis and Evans) being pitch perfect for their roles. It may not be a more faithful or at all faithful rendition this time, but it does demonstrate that they're not afraid to do complete do overs. Given that, the chances that somebody will decide to do a more by the book adaptation a decade or so down the line may not be great, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility either.
    Right now the chances are very remote because Fox has now reset the clock on how long they can keep the rights to the Fantastic Four movie. If Bleeding Cool's reporting is true, this is part of what has Perlmutter in a snit and relations between the companies are apparently pretty chilly compared to those with Sony. There seems to be some dialogue underway for some kind of shared arrangement if those rumors are true.

If this movie doesn't perform then Fox can sit on it for another 8 years or so as I recall. They do have a sort of deadline to meet from info I read years ago from the first FF movie. They can't hang onto as long as Universal did with Namor and do nothing. They have to produce something to keep the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    They differ in such major ways that to me they are not the same story. The way the Dark Phoenix was handled by Fox it was merely a sub plot to the movie. You probably aren't old enough to actually have bought the comic off the spinner rack but the impact at the time was pretty big. Inserting Wolverine in the role Scott should have had didn't help matters either.

The Galactus trilogy served as a launching pad for the cosmic scale side of the MU, something that Marvel Studios is building by their use of Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy. Galactus and the Surfer should be a part of it but that will never happen. That is an opportunity squandered by Fox that Marvel could have handled much better. It is now next to impossible that any one will try to make a more faithful film adaption of either story. So to me they are ruined, never to be seen on film as they should have been.
    I think that's an overstatement. Extreme adaptations don't reflect badly on the source material, and Hollywood loves nothing more than a remake, whether the original was good, bad, or indifferently received. When Fox inevitably starts the X-Men franchise over from scratch, I'll bet we get another Dark Phoenix scenario. If someone wanted to do a Galactus story with a big purple dude, the existence of the cloud monster version won't be much of an impediment.

Heck, the disastrous Daredevil movie used a lot of the character's greatest hits, but I'm willing to bet the Netflix revival will cover most of them again.

Right now the chances are very remote because Fox has now reset the clock on how long they can keep the rights to the Fantastic Four movie. If Bleeding Cool's reporting is true, this is part of what has Perlmutter in a snit and relations between the companies are apparently pretty chilly compared to those with Sony. There seems to be some dialogue underway for some kind of shared arrangement if those rumors are true.

If this movie doesn't perform then Fox can sit on it for another 8 years or so as I recall. They do have a sort of deadline to meet from info I read years ago from the first FF movie. They can't hang onto as long as Universal did with Namor and do nothing. They have to produce something to keep the rights.
    i'm sorry but i fail to see the problem in this. FOX paid for the rights to make the FF fair and square. they didn't steal anything from marvel comics. FOX has given us two enjoyable FF films already, and aims to do the same with a third.

if you don't personally like it, then that's fine. but there are many who do.

and let's be realistic here - FOX having the crown jewels of marvel's catalogue have forced marvel to take chances on their unwanted properties. do you really think we'd be enjoying a well-made guardians of the galaxy film if marvel had access to the fantastic four?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    and let's be realistic here - FOX having the crown jewels of marvel's catalogue have forced marvel to take chances on their unwanted properties. do you really think we'd be enjoying a well-made guardians of the galaxy film if marvel had access to the fantastic four?
    That's an excellent point. If Marvel had the X-Men, the chances of an Inhumans movie would be virtually nil.

to be honest, i'm not really sure how or why marvel has any rights to inhuman. they are fantastic four characters after all, and should be in their collective wheelhouse.

i'm sorry but i fail to see the problem in this. FOX paid for the rights to make the FF fair and square. they didn't steal anything from marvel comics. FOX has given us two enjoyable FF films already, and aims to do the same with a third.

if you don't personally like it, then that's fine. but there are many who do.

Yeah you have a point with the guardians but i gave at least 4 reason why i wasn;'t seeing this (acutally i gave six but since i'm nice i can let 2 slide) and at the most 3/4 of them could have been avoided. Negative promotion shouldn't help a movie.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    As I said in another thread very recently AND have been saying whenever the opportunity presents itself, I for one am never, NEVER going to let Mr. Jordan live down that 'superpowers are akin to disabilities' line. Burned my grits the very first day I ever read that ish, and it still would have infuriated me if the FF weren't my 'above and beyond the rest' Marvel favorites. I too/three/etc. will always be surprised that an organization or two didn't give Jordan, Trank, and/or Fox much deserved hell for such coy and insensitive comments. But apparently, that's what we are here for, although I wish we could get as much press as the NOD and AAPD would if they had very rightfully said something. God, I wish they had.
    Truthfully I think the actors should just shut up about talking about the movie, or at least be smarter about it. I just don't think they're doing a whole lot of good as far as getting people interested in the movie.

Mara saying that they were told NOT to read the source material will obviously not endear comic book fans. Jordans like about disabilities I think can easily be viewed as insensitive, even though I don't believe it was intended to be. And the reveal that Doom is an angry blogger, without further context, likewise will turn off a lot of comic book fans.

They either need to shut up, or at least be smarter in what they say. It's perfectly valid to be vague.

Oh, sure, they might not be super motivated to do another reboot before that clock runs out... but that too will happen eventually, at which point they could easily try a different approach. Sadly, Mad Men-style period pieces probably won't be in vogue any longer, reducing the chances we get Kirby/Lee FF with January Jones as Sue ;-)

And seriously, even before that point, if this FF doesn't do great, but they get a script they really like with a more comics-based approach in the meantime, there's nothing stopping them from greenlighting another reboot well before those rights run out. Their ambition is to actually make money off the property, not just hold onto it for kicks, after all. All it takes is a different studio exec with different ideas, or even the same one if they're fickle enough.

All-New Member

Agreed. He was good in Nip/Tuck also and had been nominated for a Golden Globe, which the show itself won. Fox made Doom over into Victor von Trump, a smarmy business mogul. The part where he lured Johnny into a limo with models was all you need to know about what Fox thinks about the character. His biggest gripe was that Sue jilted him.

IIRC the actor playing their father Doctor Franklin Storm is also black. So maybe Sue was part of a blended family? It could be that it's the Mom's second marriage and Doctor Storm adopts her? That way it does sort of make sense. I have no idea how the film will handle it.

It's almost like they are taking a page from the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Instead of making a serious attempt to make the character work, they are dialing it down to an internet troll. I don't know why they seem to be bent on diminishing the character.
    Actually, Marvel said beforehand that the villian in IM3 wasn't the Mandarin.
    This statement was reinforced by the IM3 short that has the actor that played the Mandarin getting kidnapped by someone that works for the actual Mandarin.

So, no. This isn't like IM3.

All-New Member

DOFP says otherwise. it's currently beating any marvel made movie on rotten tomatoe. so, to me - that says FOX is back in the game and ready to show marvel how to make a movie.
    Being well received on Rotten Tomato's isn't an indicator of quality either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    Being well received on Rotten Tomato's isn't an indicator of quality either.
    What better indicator is there than the assessments of professional critics?

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    What better indicator is there than the assessments of professional critics?
    Anonymous comic book fans posting on the Internet.

Well its fairly safe to say Doom would have been included in the first phases or being built up into phase 2 or 3 as the big threat or one of the key threats...seeing Thanos and Red Skull brought to life and now Ultron, just makes me smile for them and sooooo ticked and sad that I may never get a comic book accurate Doom for years...I can only hope Disney/MS has a plan....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Oh, sure, they might not be super motivated to do another reboot before that clock runs out... but that too will happen eventually, at which point they could easily try a different approach. Sadly, Mad Men-style period pieces probably won't be in vogue any longer, reducing the chances we get Kirby/Lee FF with January Jones as Sue ;-)

And seriously, even before that point, if this FF doesn't do great, but they get a script they really like with a more comics-based approach in the meantime, there's nothing stopping them from greenlighting another reboot well before those rights run out. Their ambition is to actually make money off the property, not just hold onto it for kicks, after all. All it takes is a different studio exec with different ideas, or even the same one if they're fickle enough.
    They can't constantly reboot the same franchise over and over again in a such short period of time, hoping third times the charm. The returns will diminish not increase, if Fox keeps doing this, until the FF brand becomes toxic and will have sit on the shelf for 20 years. The Dredd reboot didn't completely escape the shadow of the 1995 film and under performed and that was a good movie.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-14-2014 at 09:10 AM.

BANNED

I can't believe Dr. Doom is gonna be treated like this for his cinematic run. It's kind of funny cause it should be the easiest thing to hit out the park.