Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    except FOX is the only one investing in FF material... funny that.
    Are you implying that Marvel Studios wouldn't if they had the properties? I doubt that very much. I can't see Marvel Studios owning the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer or Doctor Doom and not doing anything with them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Are you implying that Marvel Studios wouldn't if they had the properties?
    I'll state it overtly. Five years ago, maybe a different story. Now? They've got so much teed up, there's no place to put the FF. Doom could maybe wheedle his way in, but if the rights reverted TOMORROW, I still wouldn't expect a proper Fantastic Four movie until somewhere around 2025. Unless they fast-tracked it for 2020 as Stage 1 of a cinematic reboot that probably won't happen.

it's a bit unfair to pit fans of the FF against the only company who's interested in doing anything with them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I'll state it overtly. Five years ago, maybe a different story. Now? They've got so much teed up, there's no place to put the FF. Doom could maybe wheedle his way in, but if the rights reverted TOMORROW, I still wouldn't expect a proper Fantastic Four movie until somewhere around 2025. Unless they fast-tracked it for 2020 as Stage 1 of a cinematic reboot that probably won't happen.
    There would be a spot of the following happens. As I said earlier, I recall at the time the first two movies were filming, I used to post at Superherohype. Tim Story posted there from time to time and one other poster who seemed to know a lot of insider stuff. I know, there's always one of those We know that the principal stars had a 3 picture deal. Fox must have had to pay them off on the third movie or perhaps some other arrangement. Julian McMahon IIRC only had a two picture deal with an option for the third. What also was mentioned was the deadline involved. Fox had to have something in production and if eight years had passed without any new film being produced the rights would revert to Marvel automatically. This does seem to be the case because of Fox getting this production going this year after years of being dormant ... Rise of the Surfer was filmed in 2006 and released in 2007.

So if this film does so badly as to make Fox lose any interest in continuing (and I know that is a longshot) they might just let the rights lapse by not doing anything. So that wouldn't happen until possibly 2022, unless they can put a deal before then but at a discount price Then you run the risk of poisoning the well if fans lose interest in the characters anyway.

There were always these rumors that Marvel Studios was talking to them about getting some of the characters back. The ones I remember reading about was Silver Surfer and Galactus. If those talks stalled, Fox would then have to do something soon to keep them if the info about the deadline were true. Could this be what caused all the fuss reported by Bleeding Cool earlier this summer? Ike Perlmutter as CEO of Marvel Entertainment and with a high profile at Disney would certainly have knowledge of those negotiations. Another interesting thing is that the start date for filming of the movie kept getting pushed back. There was no firm casting decisions made for a while either. I just wonder if they were playing a game of chicken for a while, postponing production as long as they could to see if they could get some money out of Disney.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-14-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Incredible Member

ha

they took one of the worst aspects of the ff movies made beforehand and made it even worse.

I'm kind of impressed.

Doctor Doom should be one of the most iconic villains in moviedom and they keep blowing it to the point where I'm not sure if he's even salvageable.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    ha

they took one of the worst aspects of the ff movies made beforehand and made it even worse.

I'm kind of impressed.

Doctor Doom should be one of the most iconic villains in moviedom and they keep blowing it to the point where I'm not sure if he's even salvageable.
    You keep hearing all these complaints about not being relevant or the mask & armor being over the top . Yet everyone accepted Loki and his Asgardian headgear with the big Kirby horns. Fox has been acting like they are too ashamed to bring the character to the screen.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Question is, will he have goat legs?
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Question is, will he have goat legs?
    I doubt they would do that but you never know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    it's a bit unfair to pit fans of the FF against the only company who's interested in doing anything with them at the moment.
    Fans wouldn't be pitted against Fox if Fox didn't seem to change one of Marvel's most iconic villains for no good reason. Like I said, there are a bunch of B-list FF villains they could changed and far fewer people would have objected.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

As disappointing as it is to hear that, I honestly don't think that's the worse "change" they made to the movie. Now bear with me on this, but I think Dr. Doom's new last name makes him sound more forein. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the general direction this movie is going in, but at least this change sort of makes sense.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Ultimate Member

Well, everything I've heard about this movie sounds terrible however there is a possibility that Doom (or Domovoi or whatever he's called in this movie) starts off as a blogger but later becomes the ruler of Latveria. I want to believe there's more to the character than him just being a blogger who becomes a super villain. That's pretty lame.

About Marvel canceling the comic, I think Tom Bs interview on the topic was pretty clear. He basically said that Marvel expects FF to sell more but that hasn't happened, hence them pulling the plug just like they did with Thor some years ago. Regardless of Marvel's relationship with Fox, they won't leave money on the table considering how low industry sales are right now.

Heck, according to Bleeding Cool, Marvel are about to give X-men a massive push even though the movie license is owned by Fox. The top selling X book is selling around 60k which is far less than Spider-man and Bstman and just a little more than Rocket Raccoon, X-men (just like Fantastic Four) should be selling more and I can see why Marvel aren't entirely satisfied with their sales.

I think when it comes to sales is that the mid-range sales are getting lower and lower. I also think that it is the effect of a couple of things. The first is the slow takeover of $3.99 as the issue price. It used to be I could pick up a good number of Marvel books that were $2.99. What Marvel isn't mentioning is that quietly the Fantastic Four joined that group of $3.99 titles about a year ago. The other is the event comic phenom. A lot of times comics outside of the event tend to go down in the rankings. IMO this is why Marvel sabotages the sales of some of their own titles. Not only do you compete for the fan $$$ with DC but Marvel titles are competing with each other for those fan dollars. I don't know about anyone else but with more $3.99 titles, it causes me to drop things with the thought that I may pick up the TPB later.

LOL. That's cute
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-16-2014 at 01:02 AM.

Production = $250 million.

Advertising, press conferences, etc. = $50 million.

A six second Vine being infinitely more entertaining than the FF reboot's two hours can remotely hope to be = PRICELESS.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think when it comes to sales is that the mid-range sales are getting lower and lower. I also think that it is the effect of a couple of things. The first is the slow takeover of $3.99 as the issue price. It used to be I could pick up a good number of Marvel books that were $2.99. What Marvel isn't mentioning is that quietly the Fantastic Four joined that group of $3.99 titles about a year ago. The other is the event comic phenom. A lot of times comics outside of the event tend to go down in the rankings. IMO this is why Marvel sabotages the sales of some of their own titles. Not only do you compete for the fan $$$ with DC but Marvel titles are competing with each other for those fan dollars. I don't know about anyone else but with more $3.99 titles, it causes me to drop things with the thought that I may pick up the TPB later.

LOL. That's cute
    Yeah, the price thing is pertinent.

I remember an interview Ed Brubaker did on a podcast a while ago and he basically said that comic sales just slid down when prices went up to $3.99. He didn't really cite any evidence but it's worth noting that most of us don't have as much money to spend on comics like we used (particularly considering my dollar could be spent on other more important things).

I agree that Marvel shouldn't have raised the price on FF. It's not exactly a prime property like Batman or Spider-man and readers are likely to simply drop the book given that price (and Fraction's disastrously boring re-launch).