Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    That doesn't forgive the producers and director telling the actors they don't have to read comic books to familiarize themselves with their characters. At this point it's not even a Fantastic Four movie at all.
    James Gunn did the same thing with the Guardians of the Galaxy cast. Look how that turned out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Don't forget no costumes and their powers being referred to as disabilities. For Thing's case, I get that, but still.
    "Containment suits". Ugh. Even the mere idea sends shivers up my spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    James Gunn did the same thing with the Guardians of the Galaxy cast. Look how that turned out.
    Is there a source to this? I can sort of understand it but I never actually heard that.

Actually, he told them that if they were going to read the comics, they should read DnA's Guardians. Not Bendis'.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

"Containment suits". Ugh. Even the mere idea sends shivers up my spine.

Is there a source to this? I can sort of understand it but I never actually heard that.
    Yeah, let me see if I can find it.

Here, this isn't the article I was talking about, but it has the information, it's an interview with Karen Gillan:

Some of the other actors told us they were instructed not to read the "Guardians of the Galaxy"-related comics, did you have that too?

Oh, really? No, I wasn't told that and I did go to the comics. I read "Infinity Gauntlet," which was cool because I'm not a huge comic book reader. I was reading that before I got my hands on the "Guardians" script, and actually this is reinventing it all anyway, so I can understand why he'd say that to people."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53909
    Last edited by Emma's Midriff; 11-10-2014 at 10:21 PM.

He told Chris Pratt not to read Bendis' run. (Which I think is hilarious and shows that Gunn knows what he's doing)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Actually, he told them that if they were going to read the comics, they should read DnA's Guardians. Not Bendis'.
    I don't think that's true. At all.

Well, when I first talked with James here I had some read of the newest, the [Brian Michael] Bendis stuff, the very newest stuff. And I talked to James and I was like, “What do you think?” And he was like, “Don’t read any more. I don’t want you to read any.”‘ He was like, Abnett and Andy Lanning if I want, if I felt I had to read something, we’d be closest to that. But he was like, “Don’t, because we’re not recreating the comic books.” We’re essentially just another delivery system for Marvel material. We’re not necessarily making a movie based on those comic books. We’re just telling more superhero/Guardians of the Galaxy stories, just using a different medium. It would be like if someone else was going to release another Guardians of the Galaxy comic book, you wouldn’t necessarily need to go through and read all the previous comic books and pick and choose what you want to use. You want to do your own thing. So I think that’s kind of what we’re doing. The name and the title and the characters are from different incarnations of the “Guardians of the Galaxy,” but this is its own thing. James told me to kind of steer clear of that. He probably just wanted me to treat his script like the Holy Bible. And so I sort of have.
    http://screenrant.com/chris-pratt-gu...set-interview/

See, we're not the only ones who can tell Bendis' bad writing :P

BANNED

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52838

How many comics did you read to prepare?

When I first talked with James I'd read some of the very newest [Brian Michael] Bendis stuff and I was like, "What do you think?" And he was like, "Don't read any more! I don't want you to read any." He said I should look at the [Dan] Abnett & [Andy] Lanning stuff if I felt compelled to read something, because we'll be closest to that, but don't because we're not recreating the comic books, we're just telling the story in a different medium. The name and title and characters come from different incarnations of the Guardians, but this is its own thing. He probably just wanted me to use his script as the bible!

A thought occurred to me:

During the B-Sharp episode of the Simpsons, their manager suggest that Apu Nahasapeemapetilon won't work and he should be Apu Demarche or something. This reminds me of that episode, where he's Victor Von Doom, but some marketing person's like "That won't work. You're Victor Domachev!"
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Mighty Member

Sounds pretty much like what Trank has said. And it makes sense in both cases.

The movie will still be terrible, but not because the actors didn't read comic books.

BANNED

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52838

How many comics did you read to prepare?

When I first talked with James I'd read some of the very newest [Brian Michael] Bendis stuff and I was like, "What do you think?" And he was like, "Don't read any more! I don't want you to read any." He said I should look at the [Dan] Abnett & [Andy] Lanning stuff if I felt compelled to read something, because we'll be closest to that, but don't because we're not recreating the comic books, we're just telling the story in a different medium. The name and title and characters come from different incarnations of the Guardians, but this is its own thing. He probably just wanted me to use his script as the bible!
    So, I was right and wrong. He did tell Pratt not to read any of the comics, just especially not Bendis's stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Sounds pretty much like what Trank has said. And it makes sense in both cases.

The movie will still be terrible, but not because the actors didn't read comic books.
    I'm excited for it! It can't be worse than Thor, Thor 2, or Iron Man 3!

I'm sure the movie will nonetheless be enjoyable as a movie and nothing more. However, as a comic book movie, it's been going downhill since it was first announced. Although it does sound like something great for if it was an original concept and not an adaptation.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by broski View Post
    I'm sure the movie will nonetheless be enjoyable as a movie and nothing more. However, as a comic book movie, it's been going downhill since it was first announced. Although it does sound like something great for if it was an original concept and not an adaptation.
    I don't really get criticisms like this. Isn't being a good movie of more importance than being a comic book movie?

I'm excited for it! It can't be worse than Thor, Thor 2, or Iron Man 3!
    This is the same studio that gave us the first Fantastic Four films, Elektra, and Wolverine: Origins. It can easily, EASILY be worse.