Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

So far, everything about this production sounds like it's being made in the 90s, when studios thought comic books were embarrassing and everyone had to wear black leather to be taken seriously.

That's not true anymore, we're in a four-color age where Rocket Raccoon is a movie star. It's the perfect time for a classic Fantastic Four film, it's too bad we're not getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    I don't understand how Doom is dated.

He's incredibly intelligent-not dated
    Ruler of his own country-not dated
    Wants to conquer the world-not dated
    Is experienced in many forms of combat-not dated
    Knows magic-not dated
    Is great with technology-not dated
    Is the arch nemesis of the Fantastic Four-not dated
    Wears armor to conceal his ghastly appearance-a little strange nowadays, but certainly not dated
    Speaks in the third person because of a recording device in his armor that records his life-not dated, it's actually pretty awesome

I don't see anything about this character that is dated.
    I'd never heard about the last one, and it seems the most far-fetched to me out of the entire list (yes, even moreso than techno-mage!). But then again, he ain't Doom if he ain't talking in the third person, so I'd give it a pass.

Seriously, everything in your list is everything we'd ever want from Doom, and considering all the hammy, overacting villains in movies over the years, you'd think that would all be possible and gathered together in Doom. He's THE villain for good reason (I love how, when he first showed up in Avengers: EMH, the writers' first reaction was to make it a team up between the Avengers and the FF. Not just because he was an FF villain, but because he's DOOM and can be a legitimate multi-team threat.)

On a side note, I'm convinced Julian McMahon could have been an excellent Doom, if the material wasn't so damn weak. I thought he was the second-best casting choice behind Michael Chiklis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    This is probably why we haven't heard much on the publicity front. I think everyone involved is probably ashamed of it on some level, and already know they've screwed it up. Man, this film is going to be like the poster child for movies where the studio ruined it by not having any faith in the original material..
    I think otherwise , i think those reveals arent accident , most times . And this behavior is the actual publicity front at hands . It's hardly the first time , should the movie be bad , that fans still go check those out . There are also some people who inherently love being contradictory and enjoy to spite a little "fanboys" , and this is the kind of stuff to cajole them too

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Can't wait for the Justsomerandomguy rif on this!
    I'm waiting for How It Should Have Ended's parody of this one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I just find this absolutely Hilarious
    Very soon, they will say galactus is this big virus that feeds of the energy of different computer softwares around the globe to feed his hunger....LMAO

Still have to wait and see what they come up with
    Based on these kind of reactions I think making it a comedy is the right route to go at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'd never heard about the last one, and it seems the most far-fetched to me out of the entire list (yes, even moreso than techno-mage!). But then again, he ain't Doom if he ain't talking in the third person, so I'd give it a pass.

Seriously, everything in your list is everything we'd ever want from Doom, and considering all the hammy, overacting villains in movies over the years, you'd think that would all be possible and gathered together in Doom. He's THE villain for good reason (I love how, when he first showed up in Avengers: EMH, the writers' first reaction was to make it a team up between the Avengers and the FF. Not just because he was an FF villain, but because he's DOOM and can be a legitimate multi-team threat.)

On a side note, I'm convinced Julian McMahon could have been an excellent Doom, if the material wasn't so damn weak. I thought he was the second-best casting choice behind Michael Chiklis.
    To add something to this conversation I'm all for updating characters. Hell I've always thought Red Skull was pretty outdated, moreso in First Avenger even if he was in the right era for it. Still if they're going to have to update the character at least do it in a manner that still keeps him close to his source material. Like how they did with the majority of the Marvel characters in the MCU.
    Last edited by Legato; 11-11-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I'm calling it- How It Should Have Ended will be the real Dr. Doom blowing up Fox Studios.

Wow. This is actually a stunning level of fail. Given what we've gotten before with the Fantastic Four movies, it shouldn't be this easy to disappoint people.

Impressive.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Lol. Every time (every-damn-time) I hear something about this movie I think to myself it cannot get any worse. Every time, I am wrong.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Funny enough I was imaging an episode of Villain's Pub with Ock and Doom alongside Loki, Ultron, Joker and Magneto bemoaning how the Spidey and FF films are doing compared to Marvel, DC and Fox's X-Men films.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    I understand the sentiment and can agree , but only to an extent . It's illusory to expect people to not have a premade opinion or reaction to such a movie , be it positive or negative . If people are allowed to already believe , for years ahead , that Interstellar or Avengers 2 will be awesome ... i dont see why the same vague scrutiny can't be applied to a movie with a negative buzz , just "because comics fans got some stigma" in mainstream opinion . especially in this case , when details and "leaks" are numerous , interviews and reactions from the cast , are purposely scattered , with an alarmingly recurrent demeanor and fake candor , instead of even teasers and trailers .

All sets of fans reacts to perceived bad details of any adaptation . Extreme fans arent any less brutish for books like Harry Potter , LOTR , or sigh , Twilight and 50 shades of Grey .

And here we are with a very modern and cynical brand of marketing and PR , with execs , cast , and staff knowing they are riling up fans , revelling themselves into it , and feeding it , for the sake of the " There is no such thing as bad publicity " idiom .

That's what the Fox wants , well that's what the Fox shall get
    I completely agree, especially the PR machine thing. I find the "it's better to be talked about than not" attitude, up to the point of rage-baiting fans, to be a really obnoxious part of the marketing industry. Also agree about other franchise's fans being equally excessive, but they tend to be mocked, too.

And as to your point about the positive reaction well in advance to Interstellar and Avengers 2, I agree as well. I could argue that the excitement was based on actual body of work preceding it, but it's still hopeful optimism none the less.

I think it's the glee taken in the idea that it will fail, that it will be bad that irks me most. The wanting something to fail.

I know someone who still will not admit Heath ledger was a good choice for Joker, despite that very person loving Dark Knight. He's just THAT entitled a fan that he can't see past his own bias of opinion.

At its core, it's a negative attitude thing for me, I guess.

All that said, if this film does suck, hand me a megaphone and I'll be right there ranting with everyone else.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

And the 'Everything wrong with'. Cinemasins' work on Fantastic Four and Rise of the Silver Surfer is pretty damn funny.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I see it as a hard sell, and I like Doom.

But he is exactly the kind of character that the Venture Bros. parodied so well as he spends most of his time talking in the 3rd person and trying to kill a dude who isn't thinking about him at all except when he has to stop him.

Doom 2099 ( Libertarian, revolutionary Doom) and Ultimate Doom( rejectionist hacker running a cyber commune) are both more modern, filmworthy takes than the classic Doom.
    Even if i'm biased (one glance at the avatar suffices) , i completely disagree . For starters HE WAS UPDATED , and evolved through the history of the MU . Like others , to the point the ultimate universe probably warrant a mercy kill , having outlived its usefulness , save a few fan favorites iterations of characters , but i digress.

If anything seems to me , he's one of those villains that can actually strike a chord amidst non comic books fans . There are plenty reason he remains an icon for people that solely watched the various Marvel cartoons or videogames . Authors from DC and Marvel , have multiple times tried more modern and era centric villains for their books , some with actually success , but most times without them catching on and becoming iconic enough .... wile guys like Magneto , Doom , Thanos , are still quite popular , even among a public that dont even truly know the medium that feature them the most .

I can ask any friend hermetic to "paper Marvel" he's always be more interested by the classic doom (or what he perceive to be classic doom) , than some conjecture , even when created for them as a target , he doesnt even know about . Fans of 2099 and "Van Damme" i've seen , are often just other fellow readers , that can dive into an alternative retelling .

The venture bros parody this among many other stuff , precisely because it's popular and transgenerational enough , not somehow just because outdated or disliked
    Last edited by Zarathos; 11-11-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    OK, first off. For what it's worth I was one of those "wait and see, don't assume, let the product come out and judge for itself" and while there's still a nugget of truth to that outlook seeing that he's a blogger with the online handle "Doom" had me laughing loud enough to wake the neighbors.

There are a few villains in superhero comics that transcend their protagonist. The Joker. Darkseid. Thanos. But above all, there is Victor Von Doom, sovereign of Latveria, master of technology and the mystic arts. He's stolen the power cosmic from the Silver Surfer, tricked the devil (or the nearest Marvel equivalent in Mephisto), and stood up to god (or the nearest Marvel equivalent in the Beyonder), and accomplished more than just about anyone who's not considered a force of nature beyond humanity (and many who are). You could argue a movie or a TV series about Doom would be far more interesting and successful than one about the Fantastic Four.

And instead we get a blogger. I'll wait and see, but seeing them squander what is arguably their greatest asset with this franchise has absolutely tanked any expectations of a quality film
    A TV series about Doom would be awesome! Young doom, young Richards and Grimm just after college. There can be a girl he likes, will he be redeemed buy her love or will he succumb to his ambitions and arrogance? Doom can have a Father or Uncle a la Lionel Luthor. I could get behind a show like this

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I know someone who still will not admit Heath ledger was a good choice for Joker, despite that very person loving Dark Knight. He's just THAT entitled a fan that he can't see past his own bias of opinion.
    So if someone doesn't share your opinion then they are wrong? Sorry, I know I'm in the minority but I think Heath Ledger was terrible as the Joker and I thought the entire Dark Knight series was boring. Not everyone is going to like the same things otherwise every movie would be a blockbuster.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Why even bother calling this the Fantastic Four? to me this might be one of the biggest flops ever.