View Poll Results: should Superman keep his beard?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 42.86%
  • no

32 57.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should Superman keep his beard?

Should Superman keep his beard?

For a while sure. He looks great. Some guys can't pull off a beard. Superman clearly can. I'm sure he'll soon go back to classic clean shaven Kal, but hopefully it sticks around for a bit.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Absolutely! It looks cool, so let's keep it for a while.

It is obviously problematic for his life as Clark, but he's still working from home at the moment, so not too big a problem.

I REALLY hope Pak as an issue or two of Clark masquerading with a fake beard after Superman has appeared in public clean shaven his to allay suspicion. That would be hilarious.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

No, it makes him look savage and too "macho". it just doesn't combine with superman

lupachino draw superman with a beard much better, at least he looks cute instead of savage.

I don't see why not? He kept a mullet for 3 years or so.

Nah. Its fun every now and again but shouldn't be a new normal or anything.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't mind Superman with a beard, but when I think of it as Pak putting himself in the comic, it's kinda lame. Plus I never really care for changes that clearly affect Superman and Clark.

I'd like to see it. At least for a good long while, a few years at least. It wont happen, but I'd like to see it.

Superman used to be the alpha male among alpha males; the guy nobody stepped to, who was super-comfortable in his masculinity and didnt need to put it on display or prove anything to anyone, and somewhere along the way he lost that and ended up just being a loser who couldnt do anything for himself. I've loved the return of the macho, confident Superman who has some swagger to him, and the beard helps reinforce the image that this is the hero other heroes yell for when they need to be saved.

Also, Space-Jesus.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Superman used to be the alpha male among alpha males; the guy nobody stepped to, who was super-comfortable in his masculinity and didnt need to put it on display or prove anything to anyone, and somewhere along the way he lost that and ended up just being a loser who couldnt do anything for himself. I've loved the return of the macho, confident Superman who has some swagger to him, and the beard helps reinforce the image that this is the hero other heroes yell for when they need to be saved.
    You seem to have contradicted yourself here. You begin with mentioning that you missed Superman being an alpha male who was comfortable with his masculinity and didn't need to put it on display, yet you conclude with arguing that you like the beard because it reinforces a macho image of Superman. You cannot have it both ways. Personally, just like the lamentable mullet of the 90s, I think it looks like he's trying too hard to be cool and current. It also reminds me of hipsters who often are the antithesis of the alpha male you lionize above.

Also, Space-Jesus.
    Another good reason not to keep the beard.

It works only in the interim. It's not a good long-term solution.

Think of it like the McRib sandwich. Its value correlates with its relative scarcity.

See, I like the beard. I think it looks good on Superman, definitely.

I'm not about to go on a tirade about hipsters or masculinity or whatever. We know Superman is a masculine, yet sensitive guy. That's not up for debate. Whether the current incarnation of Clark Kent is a little bit of a hipster may be up for debate, but I think he is, just a little.

But that's not why I think Superman looks good with a beard. He just does. He looks good with a beard. Pretty much any time since he's ever had a beard, it's looked good, and I'm not interested in whether it's a hipster statement or a masculine statement or any of those things.

All that said, I do not think that Superman should keep his beard under any circumstances, barring exile from his customary setting for an extended period of time (see: Exile, Time and Time Again, etc.). It's a simple secret identity issue. Clark looks similar to Superman, but not that close. Facial hair is a fairly distinctive physical trait. It makes him easier to identify. Could they write comics where people continue not to notice the similarity between the two despite a beard? Yes, they certainly could, and with the right kind of art it could even be believable, but it stretches the suspension of disbelief just a little bit more, just enough more that I think they shouldn't do it. As far as I'm concerned, Kal's simply smart enough to look at the risk and decide it's best to go back to shaving with heat vision and reflective surfaces.
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-11-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    See, I like the beard. I think it looks good on Superman, definitely.

I'm not about to go on a tirade about hipsters or masculinity or whatever. We know Superman is a masculine, yet sensitive guy. That's not up for debate. Whether the current incarnation of Clark Kent is a little bit of a hipster may be up for debate, but I think he is, just a little.

But that's not why I think Superman looks good with a beard. He just does. He looks good with a beard. Pretty much any time since he's ever had a beard, it's looked good, and I'm not interested in whether it's a hipster statement or a masculine statement or any of those things.

All that said, I do not think that Superman should keep his beard under any circumstances, barring exile from his customary setting for an extended period of time (see: Exile, Time and Time Again, etc.). It's a simple secret identity issue. Clark looks similar to Superman, but not that close. Facial hair is a fairly distinctive physical trait. It makes him easier to identify. Could they write comics where people continue not to notice the similarity between the two despite a beard? Yes, they certainly could, and with the right kind of art it could even be believable, but it stretches the suspension of disbelief just a little bit more, just enough more that I think they shouldn't do it. As far as I'm concerned, Kal's simply smart enough to look at the risk and decide it's best to go back to shaving with heat vision and reflective surfaces.
    Well said. Also, to clarify, I have zero issues with hipsters. I quite like them (the look) and one of my favorite people has a very hipster look with a beard. His name is Gareth Malone, and he's a choirmaster who's had several successful British television shows about his work trying to use music to improve people's lives and communities. He's also done some nice work in education.

I want an :"Other" option to this poll..Supes being able to grow his facial hair whenever he likes is something i'd love to see

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    You seem to have contradicted yourself here. You begin with mentioning that you missed Superman being an alpha male who was comfortable with his masculinity and didn't need to put it on display, yet you conclude with arguing that you like the beard because it reinforces a macho image of Superman. You cannot have it both ways. Personally, just like the lamentable mullet of the 90s, I think it looks like he's trying too hard to be cool and current. It also reminds me of hipsters who often are the antithesis of the alpha male you lionize above.

Another good reason not to keep the beard.
    No contradiction at all.

*I* know Superman is a masculine guy. Most of his fans know this. DC on the other hand, forgot that fact for over twenty years and it took Grant Morrison to remind them of what Superman is supposed to be.

The reminder is not for Superman, or his fans. Its for the company who has control of him.

As for hipsters....no one cares.

And why is you think beards are a *current* look? Beards are sort of a standard no matter what decade or era you're in. They're about as timeless a fashion statement as girls having long hair.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not space Jesus but space Hercules... It looks cool but like the mullet it works just for a while
    Last edited by Francisco; 11-11-2014 at 07:03 PM.