Default Brubaker's Captain America run (reading order)

So anyone got a full reading order for Brubaker's Cap run?

Also, if anyone knows I'd also like the recommended reading order for Strazynsky's Thor run and Ellis' Iron Man run.

Thanks!

Fantastic Member

you mike try Wikipedia has it usually has the reading order

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

This is a pretty good reading order: http://kristaferanka.tumblr.com/post...-reading-order
    I'd recommend reading those one-shots and minis like Winter Kills and Super Soldier, if you're interested and have the time/money.

Warren Ellis only wrote six issues of Iron Man! Just look up Iron Man: Extremis and you'll be all set.

For J. Michael Straczynski's Thor -
    Thor v3 #1-12
    Then it gets renumbered:
    Thor #600-603
    and then finally:
    Thor Giant-Size Finale #1

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by responsarbre; 11-30-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Why does the Thor: Giant Finale issue happen after #603 and not #621?
    Last edited by Forever Knight; 12-08-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Why does the Thor: Giant Finale issue happen after #603 and not #621?
    The Giant-Size Finale is the finale of Straczynski's run specifically. After that, Kieron Gillen starts writing it on #604, although he continues on with Straczynski's plot lines. I'm not entirely why they decided to release that issue as a special one-shot and not an oversized issue #604, but it's definitely treated like an regular issue of the book itself. I accidentally skipped it when I first read Thor on Marvel Unlimited and boy, was I confused.

The book gets relaunched after #621, but there's no real rhyme or reason. Fraction continues his Thor run, but just with a new start in The Mighty Thor #1.

If you want an outline of who writes the book and when:

JMS wrote it for all twelve issues of the Volume Three relaunch, and then the book was renumbered. At that point, he wrote issues 600-603 as well as a Giant-Size Finale one-shot concluding his run.
    Kieron Gillen wrote Thor for issues 604-614. (He also wrote a Siege: Loki one-shot that sets up a lot of the plotline for his Thor. Siege is a Marvel Event that affected Thor's book a lot, and 607-610 are tie-ins.)
    Matt Fraction wrote Thor for issues 615-521, and then it was relaunched as The Mighty Thor and ran for 22 issues.

Under Marvel Now the book was relaunched as Thor: God of Thunder written by Jason Aaron, and it ran for 25 issues, and then a five-issue Original Sin tie-in crossover miniseries with Loki called The Tenth Realm.
    Thor was again relaunched two months ago, again written by Jason Aaron, but starring a female Thor.

(At the same time as the launch of Fraction's The Mighty Thor, Kieron Gillen wrote Journey into Mystery, starring Loki, for issues #622-645. Although it continues the numbering of Thor v1, it isn't strictly Thor. It is a good book that I recommend.)
    (After Journey into Mystery #645, Kathryn Immonen had another great run on the book for issues #646-655, writing Journey into Mystery starring Sif.)
    Last edited by responsarbre; 12-08-2014 at 11:34 PM.

^ Thank you so much for clearing all of that up!

How would you compare that entire Thor run to Brubaker's Cap run? I just wanna make sure I'm in for another sold series read when I'm done Cap (which I love)

^ Thank you so much for clearing all of that up!

How would you compare that entire Thor run to Brubaker's Cap run? I just wanna make sure I'm in for another sold series read when I'm done Cap (which I love)
    I like it a lot. It was my very first Marvel comic book run that I ever read. It did a great job of setting up a supporting cast and a "home turf" for the character that you cared about. I'm not sure how to compare it to Brubaker's Cap, since those are more grounded stories with intrigue and espionage, but I'd say this run defined Thor for the last decade of publishing as much as Brubaker's defined Captain America. It's one of my favorite books, for sure.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Thor by Straczynski and Cap by Brubaker are very hard to compare since the stories are very different but I personally think Thor is slightly better. But the best Thor-related book of this decade has to be Journey into Mystery by Gillen starring Loki.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Awesome, thanks!

What is the Winter Solider reading order for:

The Longest Winter, Bucky Barnes the Winter Solider #1-2, Winter Solider #1-19, Winter Solider: The Bitter March #1-5, and Captain America: The Winter Solider Infinite Comic #1?

What is the Winter Solider reading order for:

The Longest Winter, Bucky Barnes the Winter Solider #1-2, Winter Solider #1-19, Winter Solider: The Bitter March #1-5, and Captain America: The Winter Solider Infinite Comic #1?
    The Infinite Comic is a tie in to the movie. You can read it whenever.

The Longest Winter is the first five issues of the ongoing, 1-19.

So...

WS 1-19
    WS Bitter March 1-5
    BBWS -1-2

Really, there's a lot to read in between all those. Don't ask, I'll break it down.

WS 1-19
    Captain America by Remender 1-15
    WS Bitter March 1-5
    CA by RR 16-25
    Original Sin 0-8
    BBWS 1+
    All New Captain America 1+

Reading the WS issues without context is fine, I suppose, but would bring up questions answered already by the material. I don't know how you're reading all this, but issue breakdowns like these lay it all out easily enough.

I'm all up to date on Now! Cap so that's good. Should be finishing the Brubaker Cap run by next week along with the WS stuff.

Astonishing Member

Tagging onto this thread, I read the second half of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I'd like to read the whole thing but to my knowledge, there's three different versions collecting the whole thing (the original one, Winter Soldier Dossier Edition and one with the teaser poster to Captain America: The Winter Soldier as a cover). Which is best?

The Winter Soldier story is pretty overrated. The ending sucked, the whole "fight" between Cap and Bucky felt really rushed.

Overall the Brubaker run is good.