Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Except that, as far as we know, this doesn't even take place in the USA. For all we know it could take place in some other country that is partnered or managed by both the US and Japanese governments.

Besides it symbolizes more the fact that Hiro is half and half. If there are some people out there that are still annoyed at white-washing, half Japanese is better than 100% Caucasian. Plus at the very least they got a VA who is also half and half.

Just count your blessings instead of complaining and dooming the whole thing, is all I'm saying.

Astonishing Member

New trailer is out and it looks good.

Hopefully the next trailer will feature more of the team, but I already see Baymax winning a lot of hearts.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 07-15-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    But the reasoning is the same: we don't want someting that doesn't take place in the USA and we don't want a cast full of asian people.
    I can't say the fault lies with audiences though. Staying strictly with animated films, nobody seemed to take issue with the settings for Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Brave or Madagascar. Going further back, I recall Mulan being well-received upon its release.

The fault really does seem to lie with executives who don't have the balls to take a chance. I highly doubt that there is enough conclusive evidence that audiences don't like non-white leads. The sample size of films is really just that small, and the films without predominantly Caucasian casts are generally goofy comedies or rote dramas that don't really try to do anything interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    But the reasoning is the same: we don't want someting that doesn't take place in the USA and we don't want a cast full of asian people.
    Power Rangers/Super Sentai is kind of a bad example.

How well would a show where the entire cast would have to be overdubbed have gone over?

You can knock Power Rangers for lot of things, but lack of diversity isn't one of them. ESPECIALLY during the Kalish era.

As far as the rest Disney are still the people responsible for Aladdin, Lilo and Stich and Mulan after all.

Astonishing Member

New interview by the directors....http://news.moviefone.com/2014/07/15...s-new-trailer/

At the very least they clarified that it'll be an emotional movie aside from the comedic focus that the trailer insinuates. It's also interesting that Marvel is the one who told them to make it separate from their properties.

Anyway, now that was a fun trailer. As expected the focus is still on Hiro and Baymax but at least it was nice to see the other members, if briefly. Also, the first look at our villain, Yokai. Really nice design on him.

Seeing San Fransokyo in all its glory is certainly a sight to behold. It's one of those cities that really does look crowded but really looks great at the same time. While I'm still iffy on Baymax having a voice, at least the voice given to him is such a calm and soothing voice that it can set up tons of comedic potential. Very befitting a healthcare robot.

Check out 1:15-1:17 for a very funny easter egg. That clock in the final shot with a Mazinger-inspired Robot also got a chuckle out of me.

Looks like Japan is more interested in making a sequential adaptation of BH6 than Marvel is right now.

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/entry-132...k#.U8cHNpRdW0t

That URL is misleading by the way, it's not receiving an anime adaptation whatsoever. I also question why they're making this before the movie comes out.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 07-16-2014 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Looks like Japan is more interested in making a sequential adaptation of BH6 than Marvel is right now.

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/entry-132...k#.U8cHNpRdW0t

That URL is misleading by the way, it's not receiving an anime adaptation whatsoever. I also question why they're making this before the movie comes out.
    Wow, if Japan make anime version of Big Hero 6, I will be happy. I am also existed for Japanese dub version. I want to hear Hiro speaking Japanese.

P.S: Honey Lemon (blonde girl) is Japanese. Her real name is Aiko Miyazaki. Her original hair and eyes was black. It's possible she change her hair color. You can check her profile at wikia

Honey Lemon vs Ayumi Hamasaki (real life Japanese woman)

I'm Asian myself, there's plenty Asian that dyed their hair blonde. There's no statement that Disney will make Honey Lemon white. So relax.
    Last edited by Kencana; 07-16-2014 at 02:05 AM.

We'll see at any rate. Though judging from her civilian look, that may not be the case.

Come to think of it, we don't even know the real names of Go Go, Wasabi and Honey in this version yet.

Astonishing Member

International trailer:

And once again we see at work how the Japanese trailers for Disney movies often focus more on the drama. That stuff at the beginning was definitely not in the first main US trailer.

At least Japan doesn't have to wait long to get this movie. It's only a little over a month after the US release.

BANNED

I already have a favorite. Sunfire!

People who are just accepting mediocrity are really frustrating when it comes to this movie. We could have a whole cast of non-white protags, but Disney is just too stuck in its ways and people are too quick to accept that. I get that "Disney will be Disney," but can't we hope for more? If we keep eating this stuff up Disney is never going to change.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    People who are just accepting mediocrity are really frustrating when it comes to this movie. We could have a whole cast of non-white protags, but Disney is just too stuck in its ways and people are too quick to accept that. I get that "Disney will be Disney," but can't we hope for more? If we keep eating this stuff up Disney is never going to change.
    That is one way to look at it.

I also choose to believe that if this is a quality film that manages to be a success, it may encourage Disney and Marvel both to reconsider their approach to their IPs and give more opportunities to properties in Marvel's lower tier to which the vast majority of Marvel minorities belong.

As it is, the bulk of the main cast still appears to be comprised of minorities, with the lead protagonist being half-Asian.

So from a new TV spot we've gotten a couple of images that could mean something:

1. Baymax in an entirely different armor.

2. Hiro's bro Tadashi with the group.

So we know at the very least that Hiro and everyone else are already friends before the conflict starts. Makes me wonder if they're going with the angle of Tadashi being the one that starts out the group of heroes but dies and Hiro takes over?

Also, I know it could just be the heels, but lmao that Honey Lemon is so tall and lanky.

Also, I know it could just be the heels, but lmao that Honey Lemon is so tall and lanky.