Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

2 minute scene from Big Hero 6, featuring Hiro and Baymax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEeBXUUOBiI

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I'm disappointed about the racebending involved.

I mean why can't hero be fully Japanese instead of half-Caucasian?
    I'm more perturbed by them turning three other Japanese characters into two white folks and a black dude. This is anti-diversity disguised as diversity. I understand they believe that for some reason white or black kids won't relate to Japanese characters, but it's an absurd notion. How many boys wanted to be Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan or a ninja back in the 70's and 80's? Look at all the anime fans out there as well.

Asian Americans get the short end of the stick on this whole absurd "politically correct" bandwagon, they are highly under represented (5% or so of the population, but accounting for much less than 5% representation in the media) compared to the over representation of black and gay folks according to the census numbers (hispanics are also under represented given their percentage of the population, as are others). I don't want to see groups forced in there, but I'd like to see accurate representation to some degree.

And again, I'm going to ask this question I asked in another BH6 thread.

Yeah, call me insensitive, but I don't get why people are so worked up about this whole "whitewashing" thing.

Apart from the idea of Disney changing things up being their norm, what if, despite all this "controversy", the movie is actually, you know, GOOD AND ENTERTAINING?
    Look if people want to be upset about Marvel's and Disney's handling of BH6 fine, but I can't help but wonder if you folks who are really that pissed off at this "racewashing" are ignoring the possibility that the movie might actually be good. And it's not as if I'm a white person who is ignorant of racism and all that. I'm just saying that maybe you can turn the other cheek on this if it turns out that something is actually legitimately good?

I haven't read BH6. I don't care they're changing the characters. I'm not that upset about the changing diversity. I'm just looking forward to a good Disney movie because Disney is on a roll lately. Can't ya'll just lighten up or something? Lord knows this movie gets enough flack from those folks who AREN'T the comic book crowd.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Look if people want to be upset about Marvel's and Disney's handling of BH6 fine, but I can't help but wonder if you folks who are really that pissed off at this "racewashing" are ignoring the possibility that the movie might actually be good. And it's not as if I'm a white person who is ignorant of racism and all that. I'm just saying that maybe you can turn the other cheek on this if it turns out that something is actually legitimately good?

I haven't read BH6. I don't care they're changing the characters. I'm not that upset about the changing diversity. I'm just looking forward to a good Disney movie because Disney is on a roll lately. Can't ya'll just lighten up or something? Lord knows this movie gets enough flack from those folks who AREN'T the comic book crowd.

Sooo . . . racebending and whitewashing is only bad if the movie is a flop?

If "The Last Airbender" was "GOOD AND ENTERTAINING," then the whitewashing wouldn't have been an issue?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kpop View Post
    Sooo . . . racebending and whitewashing is only bad if the movie is a flop?

If "The Last Airbender" was "GOOD AND ENTERTAINING," then the whitewashing wouldn't have been an issue?
    No. The racebending in TLA was much much much more egregious, and it wasn't just whitewashing considering all of the bad guys were brown-skinned.

If my post comes off as "racewashing is OK if the movie is good", then that's not the intent.

The point I'm making is that, while "racewashing" is certainly bad, here are few things I'm noting:

1. It could've been worse. At least all the entire team is racially diverse instead of just being all one.

2. IMO, "racewashing" could be looked over a little bit or not hamper an enjoyment of a movie if the movie itself is good. Sure you can critique the movie a bit, but I don't think it's automatic grounds for a movie to suck. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that The Last Airbender could've avoided this if the movie was actually good. But even without the "racewashing", The Last Airbender was just an utter failure as a movie.

What was it that Doug Walker once said? The measure of a good movie is how much the illusion can hide its flaws? I firmly believe in that. Sure I don't care all that much of the "racewashing" in Disney's Big Hero 6, but I can still critique it and make note of it while still enjoying the movie. Yet the way most of you are going on, you're acting like as if the "racewashing" dooms this movie from the get-go.

The movie hasn't even been released yet for crying out loud!

Spectacular Member

Bleeding Cool News has uncovered the truth behind all the weirdness that Marvel has been showing towards Big Hero 6. If true, it certainly explains why we're not seeing any "Big Hero 6" tie-ins or reprints from Marvel Comics in November, and why Disney has been stingy with attaching the Marvel brand to its film . . .

Initially, Marvel wanted the movie aimed at an older audience and Disney refused. Marvel then refused to publish comics to support the movie. So Disney told Marvel they would publish comics themselves (not the manga, but original comics by US creators). It was then that Marvel went, and I quote, “apeshit”.

Cooler heads prevailed and an agreement was drawn up. That Marvel wouldn’t get involved with Big Hero 6 at all, the marketing the publishing and the like, but Disney Publishing were not allowed to publish Big Hero 6 comics in the US. Hence the Yen Press deal for the Disney Japanese Big Hero 6 manga.
    See "That Disney/Marvel Bust Up Over Big Hero 6" for the full story.

I hope Axel Alonso gets asked more questions about Big Hero 6 and Disney in his next CBR interview . . .

Unfortunate if this is true, but I'll still enjoy the movie either way.

wow major drama. i don't expect this to be the last time..

New TV Spot, where we FINALLY see the rest of the team in their hero duds, as well as firmly establish that Fred is in a costume.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=326575627514654

A promo vid by Hiro VA Ryan Potter on a BH6 related challenge, but to note in this are two things: Hiro's knowledge of Microbots, as supported by Disney Infinity (Making the "Tadashi is Yokai" theory more plausible), and exactly seeing how Honey Lemons explosive-making purse works. Kinda reminds me of Hawkeye's quiver in Avengers, especially if HL's explosives will have different applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZhJieLzZY

The newest trailer, and probably the best one so far in that it is more in line with a traditional Disney movie trailer. Gives us a good balance of comedy, emotion, gives the plot, lets us see the characters, and if I'm not mistaken, has the "signature song" of the movie.

With the movie coming ever closer, clips from the movie have started to work their way onto YT:

Tadashi introducing Hiro to Go Go, Wasabi and Honey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2fqoy0L_s

The bros and the gang talking to Fred
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q396a9CPJvA

Right away I'm acclimating to these characters, all very memorable with clear skill sets and personalities. I think if I had to pin down my favorite among all of them so far it'd have to be Honey Lemon. She just looks so perky and cheerful but put her in a scientific environment and she totally becomes scientifically insane.

I still wonder if Disney will confirm if Honey is Hispanic.

I may be a few months late on this racebending debate. But why is there this automatic assumption that there is racebending for characters other than Wasabi?

Wasn't one of the main arguments against the racebending in The Last Airbender and Dragon Ball Evolution films that Western audiences often associate animated characters as white instead of Asian because they aren't caricatures with slanted eyes and yellow skin. Isn't the same thing happening here? Why assume that Fred and Honey are white?

Japanese guys can have brown hair and large noses. Japanese girls can dye their hair, they can have small noses and large eyes and be really tall.