View Poll Results: Married Scott & Emma "doing it" during mindlink...is it adultery?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 78.41%
  • No

14 15.91%
  • It doesn't matter to me. No Comment

5 5.68%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Married Scott & Emma "doing it" during mindlink... is it adultery? What's your thoughts?

A couple of years ago, I was just browsing through the graphic novels section at a Barnes and Nobles. I haven't read an X-Men comic book since Storm defeated Scott for leadership of the X-Men in issue #201. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

At the time, after a long hiatus of not reading comic books, I was surprised that the White Queen was one of the good guys. Then Scott and an alive Jean Grey in the trade paperback were husband and wife, but Emma and Scott were doing The Nasteeee. And Emma was on her Phoenix dress, which made me laugh. Then Jean catches them by minlinking with them.

Now here's the thing, Emma and Scott have been doing this but in their mind together only. Now is this considered cheating on your wife? The sex happened in their mind, but not physically. It was in the mind, but both conscious and shared thoughts. I never even thought of such a concept until I came across this X-Men TPB.

Can someone explain to me why this is cheating or why this is not cheating? Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

In the exact definition of cheating or adultery as we know it, it was not. But given the extraordinary circumstances, it requires a deeper look and can be answered with a relatively simple question.

How would you feel if your significant other was off being aroused and enjoying the company of another person instead of you? Its the exact same principle, same intimacy, just without bodily fluids. Its dishonest and immoral, and every bit as offensive as if they had gone all the way because the intent is there. So if this were a real thing, the definition of cheating or adultery would likely be shifted to include this scenario.

BANNED

Well if you think about the psychic affair was actually worse, since it's a far more intimate connection than a purely physical tryst would be. It's not as if each of the two was just secretly fantasizing about having sex with the other.

Well it was Emma taking advantage out of Scott's weaken mind

It's not like this is the first wife Scott has cheated on.

BANNED

wasn't this like 15 years ago?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

We don't actually see how far Emma and Scott go, at least in the original storyline, but Scott and Jean both emphasize that, at least for him, it is just "thinking about it." Emma, more than likely, understands what she's doing to a stronger degree, but Scott's always been spectacularly bad at anything other than beating up badguys. A kind of willed social naivete and hanging onto his teenage years.

In the end, they both screwed up, and they both abused trust, acted hypocritically, but not maliciously.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    We don't actually see how far Emma and Scott go, at least in the original storyline, but Scott and Jean both emphasize that, at least for him, it is just "thinking about it." Emma, more than likely, understands what she's doing to a stronger degree, but Scott's always been spectacularly bad at anything other than beating up badguys. A kind of willed social naivete and hanging onto his teenage years.

In the end, they both screwed up, and they both abused trust, acted hypocritically, but not maliciously.
    Well Jean was really still really pissed at what was going on. "But they were thinking it!!" makes it pretty clear she doesn't approve. The interesting part was that she put no blame on Scott at all. She knew he was all fucked up after Apocalypse and put all the blame on Emma for trying to take advantage of him.
    A common theme of the breakup itself. Jean wanted to "fix" Scott and bring boyscout back. Scott couldn't go back to that place. Stalemate, broken marriage, trying to hold on to something that appeared doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well it was Emma taking advantage out of Scott's weaken mind
    Taking advantage of vulnerable people isn't exactly a rarity in the world. "Victims" may or may not regret those actions, but they are still accountable as long as it is of their own free will. That holds true for Scotty too. Its a situation that may make you sympathetic to his situation, but doesn't absolve of guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sabongero View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was just browsing through the graphic novels section at a Barnes and Nobles. I haven't read an X-Men comic book since Storm defeated Scott for leadership of the X-Men in issue #201. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

At the time, after a long hiatus of not reading comic books, I was surprised that the White Queen was one of the good guys. Then Scott and an alive Jean Grey in the trade paperback were husband and wife, but Emma and Scott were doing The Nasteeee. And Emma was on her Phoenix dress, which made me laugh. Then Jean catches them by minlinking with them.

Now here's the thing, Emma and Scott have been doing this but in their mind together only. Now is this considered cheating on your wife? The sex happened in their mind, but not physically. It was in the mind, but both conscious and shared thoughts. I never even thought of such a concept until I came across this X-Men TPB.

Can someone explain to me why this is cheating or why this is not cheating? Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.
    i hate infidelity and absolutely adore Scott/Emma as a pair, BUT it is cheating, all adultery and cheating begins with a thought...
    IN CYCLOPS WE TRUST.
    Cyclops fans, stay true, stay humble, stay strong.