View Poll Results: Married Scott & Emma "doing it" during mindlink...is it adultery?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 78.41%
  • No

14 15.91%
  • It doesn't matter to me. No Comment

5 5.68%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Ironic perhaps, but incorrect. The books were quite clear to make that point that Emma went in with no intention other than to cause mischief and only fell in love by accident.
    The other two though (Scott and Jean) were bound by marriage but continued to fool around. Emma has no such bound; even if (assuming) only to cause mischief she's not on any higher moral ground than Scott and Jean?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
    The other two though (Scott and Jean) were bound by marriage but continued to fool around. Emma has no such bound; even if (assuming) only to cause mischief she's not on any higher moral ground than Scott and Jean?
    Well I think the general idea of marriage is that everyone else is compelled to respect it and back off. If you knowingly fool around with a married man you're just as much at fault for the affair as he is, especially if you instigate it, as Emma did. Yes, marriage is a pretty flimsy institution in practice and there's always a million rationalizations you can throw out there, but if this is the basis you're using to judge morality then certainly Emma has to be the one you point your finger at.

And honestly, I don't think you'll find too many Jean fans who are still mad about the affair or the Scott/Emma relationship itself. It's just that Marvel apparently saw that as an opening to get rid of Jean and install Emma in her place, only addressing the fallout in a very roundabout way in Endsong which was hands down one of the worst comics ever. I don't know how much of this had to do with Morrison's fallout with Quesada and the way the end of his run was rushed through, but it did seem at least that he had some sort of plan in place for her that was never followed up on.

BANNED

Well I think the general idea of marriage is that everyone else is compelled to respect it and back off.
    Yeah, that's not how it works.

If you knowingly fool around with a married man you're just as much at fault for the affair as he is, especially if you instigate it, as Emma did.
    Really? How so? Why on earth should Emma respect some institution she probably sees as archaic and restrictive, and in this particular case, unhealthy for both of the two people involved in it?

BANNED

Well I think the general idea of marriage is that everyone else is compelled to respect it and back off. If you knowingly fool around with a married man you're just as much at fault for the affair as he is, especially if you instigate it, as Emma did. Yes, marriage is a pretty flimsy institution in practice and there's always a million rationalizations you can throw out there, but if this is the basis you're using to judge morality then certainly Emma has to be the one you point your finger at.

And honestly, I don't think you'll find too many Jean fans who are still mad about the affair or the Scott/Emma relationship itself. It's just that Marvel apparently saw that as an opening to get rid of Jean and install Emma in her place, only addressing the fallout in a very roundabout way in Endsong which was hands down one of the worst comics ever. I don't know how much of this had to do with Morrison's fallout with Quesada and the way the end of his run was rushed through, but it did seem at least that he had some sort of plan in place for her that was never followed up on.
    I don't know how much of this had to do with Morrison's fallout with Quesada and the way the end of his run was rushed through, but it did seem at least that he had some sort of plan in place for her that was never followed up on.
    It wasn't rushed through. The turmoil between Morrison and Marvel was about things not X-Men related, like Marvel Boy 2, which according to Quesada and/or Jemas was too 'cosmic' and them going back on promises made.

Wanted to give my two cents after lurking on this forum for a while.

First off all Jean was only slightly attracted to logan , it was for the most part one sided. Also she was always very honest with scott about the whole thing, wheras Scott lusted over Psylocke while with Jean, moved on very quickly each time jean "died", cheated on maddie with Jean, then there was the whole Emma thing... So maybe it started off as therapy, but Scott knew what Emma was after, would you go and meet in secret with a woman who tried to get you to have an affair with her?
    I mean just look at her expression... Where did Scott think this was gonna go?!? I understand Scott and Jean were having troubles but that's why you talk it out as a couple right? Jean wanted to get close with Scott after everything, Scott pushed her away and turned to Emma, that was his choice.

The time Jean caught them was gonna be their first time having sex? I've always interpreted the panel of them making out naked was them having sex and its implied that it wasn't only those two times... Of course the comic book isn't going to show every single time/detail so from what I and most people seem to think is that it was going on for a while... Strong telepaths can basically make the psychic plane as real as real life, Scott knew what he was doing.

I've also always interpreted the whole scene of her telling Scott to live as not necessarily altering reality so Scott moves on with Emma, but rather erasing the guilt he had for everything that happened.

Also want to add that I'm not agaisn't Scemma at all, I actually really like them as a couple, better than Jott. So definitely not trying to bash Emma, Emma's one of my favorite characters. But the way Scott has treated his women hasn't been great lol...

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

Of course it was adultery, but it was pretty clear that Scott and Jean's marriage was falling apart, and that while they'd always care for each other they didn't quite love each other any more. And that's okay, and that happens in adult relationships, and frankly it's a more realistic portrayal of a marriage then the basically sophomoric levels that most comic relations are. That doesn't make Emma and Scott right, no, but it makes it understandable.

(Also, Maddie was Scott's best relationship anyway, fite me irl.)

Quote Originally Posted by comradepitrovsky View Post
    Of course it was adultery, but it was pretty clear that Scott and Jean's marriage was falling apart, and that while they'd always care for each other they didn't quite love each other any more. And that's okay, and that happens in adult relationships, and frankly it's a more realistic portrayal of a marriage then the basically sophomoric levels that most comic relations are. That doesn't make Emma and Scott right, no, but it makes it understandable.

(Also, Maddie was Scott's best relationship anyway, fite me irl.)
    I on't know about Scott, but Jean loved scott enough to resist Wolverine and he resists her too because of it