View Poll Results: Married Scott & Emma "doing it" during mindlink...is it adultery?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 78.41%
  • No

14 15.91%
  • It doesn't matter to me. No Comment

5 5.68%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Isn't he one of the most long running cases of being screwed by the editorial?
    Marvel editorial's relationship to Cyclops is sort of like that of an overprotective mother. They have all the best intentions for him, but the decisions they make on his behalf usually end up hurting him in the long run. Ultimately, you just have to let him stand on his own merits as a character, not constantly push him into roles for which he is ill-suited.

Legally, physically and technically it isn't.

Is it wrong? Yes.

BANNED

It's not wrong if it is canonically the greatest love of all time without which mere mortals such as Dazzler have no hope for peace and happiness in life.

Their love is so great that it is literally impossible for Jean Grey to exist in the presence of it.

Some things are just meant to be, and no childish infatuation or infantile ginger creature compares to such things. Therefore, it was neither cheating, wrong or immoral.

BANNED

Emotional relationships have as much if not more impact on a relationship than a physical one. Anytime you give a person a piece of yourself that should be reserved for another it is an affair. Because of Scott and Jean's psychic bond what he did with Emma was worse than if he would have just straight up slept with her (imo). The way their whole relationship started and had persisted was a bane on Cyclops' character to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sabongero View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was just browsing through the graphic novels section at a Barnes and Nobles. I haven't read an X-Men comic book since Storm defeated Scott for leadership of the X-Men in issue #201. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

At the time, after a long hiatus of not reading comic books, I was surprised that the White Queen was one of the good guys. Then Scott and an alive Jean Grey in the trade paperback were husband and wife, but Emma and Scott were doing The Nasteeee. And Emma was on her Phoenix dress, which made me laugh. Then Jean catches them by minlinking with them.

Now here's the thing, Emma and Scott have been doing this but in their mind together only. Now is this considered cheating on your wife? The sex happened in their mind, but not physically. It was in the mind, but both conscious and shared thoughts. I never even thought of such a concept until I came across this X-Men TPB.

Can someone explain to me why this is cheating or why this is not cheating? Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by elgrey View Post
    I like Emma but she did exploit a person who was very damaged and in a very vulnerable place just to get at Jean. And she got punished for it, because she fell in love with Scott, but Jean got punished for it, too, and she really didn't deserve it. I think even her trying to have an affair with Logan could arguably have been the action of a woman trying to jolt her husband back into her bed or at least get him to see her as a sexual being and not someone that needed to be protected from whatever it was he was afraid he had brought back with him from Apocalypse.

I actually think it was very good writing all round because it was the kind of messy situation that probably would happen with the kind of lives that superheroes live, and where all three people ended up being victims of it, and made thoroughly miserable by it, at least until Jean changed the situation from beyond the grave and pushed Scott and Emma into a relationship.

Scott ended up getting perhaps less blame for the telepathic therapy-affair situation than he merited, just because he was so damaged at the time and has such poor communication skills and relationship skills habitually that everyone in the x-verse seemed to cut him a lot of slack, and more blame than he deserved for moving on from Jean to Emma so quickly, given that, by that point, the relationship, which had originally been Emma's choice, became Jean's choice, although Emma was just trying to cause trouble whereas Jean was trying to save the world. It still wasn't Scott's choice; it wasn't even Emma's choice by that point; it was entirely Jean's. And it was a selfless action, to give her husband over to the safekeeping of the woman who had tried to steal him from her, but it was also a high-handed one, and it did, of course, seriously undermine Scott's relationship with Henry and with Rachel, and it didn't do a lot for his friendship with Logan. So, it's something I would personally like to come out one day.
    I do agree with you. Scott did come to Emma for help, (let's not forget she is a certified sex therapist), but somewhere along the line the both of them starting falling for each other.

Actually I'm pretty certain Emma started falling for Scott first because about right here she didn't seem really interested in Scott's therapy...

In all honesty though I think Emma and Scott belong together.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
    Then we get to the real meat and potatoes...

I felt so sorry for Emma in that scene with her and Logan. I'd been really cross with her up until then for trying to screw up Jean and Scott's marriage, but that was such a moving revelation and Logan, who she's never really liked, was so much the perfect person for her to confide in.

It really was a horribly messy situation all round. It's a pity they couldn't find a way to have it remain messy and realistic and have the perfect couple divorce while still having lingering feelings for each other - which I suspect Jean and Scott always would even if they were no longer in love as they had been in the past.

I enjoyed Scott/Emma as much as I enjoyed Scott/Jean, but I really resented, and resent, Jean being tidied off the board as if there were no more stories left to tell about her just because her marriage broke up. I also think that in a world as character-driven as X-Men is, having a divorced couple around who have to go on working together post division of assets would have made for a good story.

Although, on second thoughts, we kind of had that with post-Schism X-Men and it wasn't that great a story after all. Still, at least no one died when Scott and Logan got divorced.

So did the two of them actually have sex telepathically, or did they always just talk and Emma appeared dressed like Jean while they did so? That scene with them about take their clothes off, was that their first time actually trying to have sex telepathically or had it already happened?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    So did the two of them actually have sex telepathically, or did they always just talk and Emma appeared dressed like Jean while they did so? That scene with them about take their clothes off, was that their first time actually trying to have sex telepathically or had it already happened?
    They didn't have sex, but it was very flirty.

They did a lot to try to protect Cykes character with this arc, but pretty much all of it backfired.
    1) He only got into it when Emma turned into Jean. He was constantly hesitant about it. In his head he kept saying how he wasn't cheating, despite it feeling wrong. Butttt he still did it and it makes him look like a dick.
    2) Then of course he doesn't choose Emma at the end until Jean gives him the push. Keeps his honor and still makes Jean important right? Nope he makes out on her grave and starts screwing Emma like nothing ever happened. Makes him look like a REAL dick.
    3) Insult to injury. Painfully obvious Jean was killed off in the most retarded fashion possible, just so they could have Scott move on to a new pairing, without him having to actually "break up" the (at the time) quintessential X-pair. It doesn't make Cyke directly look bad, but its painfully obvious that Jean was thrown on the sacrificial altar for him, which instantly throws backlash on him.

To make matters worse, Marvel was as subtle as a sledgehammer when it came to trying to push relevance to the Emma/Scott pairing, which made things more insulting to readers.

In the long run it all worked out, but there was certainly some damage for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomDave View Post
    Emma due to his "knowing" that Jean hooked up with Logan(what do you think he was looking at up in the woods while Jean was with Logan?).
    When was this?

BANNED

Let's remove the superpowers from the equation: this story was a metaphor for a marriage that has grown stale over the years, and the husband meets somebody online and they start to have cyberdoing it. And the wife happens to be an expert in computersecurity.

There isn't a cut and dried answer whether or not this is adultry, but it sure feels like it emotionally. And I don't really think any of these three character are to blame, least of all Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    On one hand, they had Cyclops do something bold and unexpected, which was good, but on the other hand, they hedged their bets with the questionable "just thoughts so not really cheating" bit and then later on with the "psychic push" which was a cop-out that wasn't wholly necessary. This seems to happen quite often with Scott, what with the whole abandoning Maddie incident justified by her being turned into a spiteful clone demon queen, and more recently with the murder of Xavier supposedly being not really his fault.

I'm not quite sure what all of this actually accomplishes though, on impression he still seems like a scumbag and while I suppose he remains innocent if you stick to the most literal reading of the canonical story, such an interpretation also robs him of the edginess that these stories were no doubt meant to impart.
    Yeah, I agree.

As far as whether it was cheating or not, is an internet affair really cheating? The intent is there. The disloyalty to partner is there, it's just not physical. A telepathic affair is by far a step up from that. For me, anyway, a one night stand with a partner whose name the person can't remember would hurt less than a long-term betrayal of the mind and heart with no physical act. The first is a bodily function, the latter is intentional disloyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    They didn't have sex, but it was very flirty.

They did a lot to try to protect Cykes character with this arc, but pretty much all of it backfired.
    From what I've read they did nothing of sort. If anything they s*** on his character just for the sake of cheap melodrama. They did that with they wanted him to dumb Maddie for Jean and they did it again to replace Jean with Emma. For the character that's supposed to a boring straight up good guy Marvel seem to have fun shitting on his image..
    1) He only got into it when Emma turned into Jean. He was constantly hesitant about it. In his head he kept saying how he wasn't cheating, despite it feeling wrong. Butttt he still did it and it makes him look like a dick.
    2) Then of course he doesn't choose Emma at the end until Jean gives him the push. Keeps his honor and still makes Jean important right? Nope he makes out on her grave and starts screwing Emma like nothing ever happened. Makes him look like a REAL dick.
    My point exactly.. Marvel never tried to protect his character. That's character assassination right there.
    3) Insult to injury. Painfully obvious Jean was killed off in the most retarded fashion possible, just so they could have Scott move on to a new pairing, without him having to actually "break up" the (at the time) quintessential X-pair. It doesn't make Cyke directly look bad, but its painfully obvious that Jean was thrown on the sacrificial altar for him, which instantly throws backlash on him.
    But wasn't Jean's death a heroic one? Agree with everything else btw.

To make matters worse, Marvel was as subtle as a sledgehammer when it came to trying to push relevance to the Emma/Scott pairing, which made things more insulting to readers.

In the long run it all worked out, but there was certainly some damage for a period of time.
    I always wonder why they did that (pushing Scott/Emma paring).. If they didn't want Scott and Jean as a couple there're so many way to break them up without making one character a dick and another a dead woman. What good about not having Jean around? They could've kept both Emma and Jean.

It was completely adultery. Love Cyclops, but hate he did that