Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    They really, really couldn't have gotten, like, Geoff Johns to write it?
    The answer should be pretty obvious.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    The answer should be pretty obvious.
    Hardy har. I know, rationally that was never going to be in the cards, but at least not someone as bland and as much the embodiment of everything wrong with PC Superman as Jurgens. Joe Keatinge would have been great, and I'm sure he would have taken it.
    Buh-bye

the embodiment of everything wrong with PC Superman as Jurgens.
    At least its not Loeb.

EDIT: I freely admit I loved Our Worlds @ War and some of Loeb's other stories, but generally I think his run was the start of the downfall.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Johns could have written it well, no doubt but I think Jurgens is a good writer too. He was part of the great writing team that gave us the epic Death and Return of Superman, Future's End has been good and his Supes FE was good as well. I think we'll be lucky to have his story in the end.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. About Blackest Night and Brightest Day being the last great hurrah for the Post-COIE DCU.

Final Crisis wasn't enough of a goodbye.
    Reign of Doomsday - Grounded -New Krypton didn't do the Superman mythos any justice.
    Justice League and Justice Society I don't remember any standout stories when James Robinson took over.
    Legion of Superheroes wasn't all that it could've been; even with the return of Levitz.
    Teen Titans was meh. I was past done with the Conner and Cassie romance.

Other titles I couldn't tell you about. By the time New 52 came I was elated. Post-COIE DCU was making me dizzy. A proper goodbye to those years would not be unwelcome.

Pre-Flashpoint: Batman and Robin (Dick and Damian) was solid. As was Green Lantern with Geoff Johns pre-Flashpoint.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Come to think of it, what DC have been saying about the New 52 universe being a merge of the old and the post-Flashpoint one is kind of bonkers, considering the majority (if not all) of the Convergence stories are straight up follow ups to pre-52 events. Basically branding a parallel universe as the main DCU while the "main" is still out there.. or something

God, classic Superman (well, classic by modern standards), married to Lois, kid on the way, everything's great...and Dan "For me, the things he can't do are more interesting than the things he can do" Jurgens is writing it. Would it have been too damn much to ask for to have classic Superman kicking ass? I'll get it anyway, I guess, but I have every expectation in the world that at least a solid quarter of this is going to be him moping. They really, really couldn't have gotten, like, Geoff Johns to write it? He at least did a John Byrne style Superman who was pretty cool from time to time:

One of my all time favorite stories right there. And with Gary Frank on art duties, kind of an easy win.
    Last edited by AwesomeUsername; 11-12-2014 at 01:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Thank you! See, that's the reason why I decided I was okay with the continuity reboot Post-Flashpoint a few years ago. Post-Crisis and/or Pre-Flashpoint Superman were the kind of guys who would want kids after getting married. That the higher-ups never let Chris Kent be the full time Super-Son he should have been really stung for me. It's why I decided I liked the Post-Flashpoint version of the character.

Now, getting to see the Pre-Flashpoint version make a comeback and have a kid will make me very happy. I do sort of hope we'll get to see Chris join the family again, or at least have a Phantom Zone party with Mon-El. Even with just Kal and Lois though, this will probably be the first full-month event I'll care for in any way. Huzzah!

All that said, I really don't want to add to the "New 52 Sucks!" mentality. I really do like a lot of what they've done, and I'm definitely not willing to classify the Post-Flashpoint Superman, mister t-shirt-and-armor, as somehow not the "Real Superman". They're equally the real Superman, except for maybe the Golden Age version, who might be a little more real than the others.

Maybe someday Post-Flashpoint Superman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman can team up? Clark can teach our young firebrand a few things about how to stop a hurricane?
    Well, that's all wishful thinking at this point, but I can dream.
    pre-flashpoint has to teach new 52 superman to not run away from Lois and stop being a douche.

I hope at least the spiderman story on secret wars have some kind of pay off for the 616 universe. so let the pressure come at DC

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    Come to think of it, what DC have been saying about the New 52 universe being a merge of the old and the post-Flashpoint one is kind of bonkers, considering the majority (if not all) of the Convergence stories are straight up follow ups to pre-52 events. Basically branding a parallel universe as the main DCU while the "main" is still out there.. or something
    DC launched the ultimate universe all this time

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Looking very much forward to this book. As it has been said several times, speak with your wallet on stuff you like, and I will most definitely be using that advice on this title.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I agree. I grew up with Post-Crisis Superman...loved that version until he was destroyed by a thousand cuts of mediocre creators chipping away at him until we got what we did just prior to FLASHPOINT.

The biggest problem with the Super-Marriage was that DC higher-ups didn't have the balls to give us the logical progression of Clark into a family man. They married Lois and Clark...and other than a few runs here and there and the brief time we had Chris Kent, there was no progression. Good to see we are finally not only getting some closure to the Post-Crisis version of Superman, but a chance to see what I was always hoping to see since they got him married in 1996...an honest to god Super kid!

I hope that if this is truly the "last" Post-Crisis Superman story,Lois and Supes get a happy ever after ending. He deserves a far better "last" story than GROUNDED or "REIGN OF DOOMSDAYS".

Even though apparently no Nu-52 versions of characters are appearing in this, I really do hope that sometime in the near future we see a passing of the torch from Post-Crisis Supes to current Superman. We sorta got that in a way in COIE and it would be nice to see it here.

Yes I do miss "classic" Superman. Good to see him again.

The failure of Chris felt like a pretty firm response to the family man Superman angle. Thematically Chris had a lot going for him as the adopted child of Zod which paralleled and still crashed and burned despite giving people exactly what they wanted by completing the super family. Had Lois given birth to a child there would have been some initial fervor and it would have died out much like the marriage itself a stop. I think this is the best way to do it, as a nice one off where Superman and Lois will fly off into the sunset and the rest can be left to the imagination. Superman and Lois get a happy ending.

I'm more interested in seeing what Bruce's Convergence will be to be honest and see how it compares. I wonder if it will be more epic than what we're seeing with Superman here. Bruce always seems to be about a guy trying to be more than just another victim and inspiring others to do the same; while Superman seems to be trying to be just another guy.
    Last edited by The World; 11-12-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The failure of Chris felt like a pretty firm response to the family man Superman angle. Thematically Chris had a lot going for him as the adopted child of Zod which paralleled and still crashed and burned despite giving people exactly what they wanted by completing the super family. Had Lois given birth to a child there would have been some initial fervor and it would have died out much like the marriage itself a stop. I think this is the best way to do it, as a nice one off where Superman and Lois will fly off into the sunset and the rest can be left to the imagination. Superman and Lois get a happy ending.

I'm more interested in seeing what Bruce's Convergence will be to be honest and see how it compares. I wonder if it will be more epic than what we're seeing with Superman here. Bruce always seems to be about a guy trying to be more than just another victim and inspiring others to do the same; while Superman seems to be trying to be just another guy.
    If I understand very well chris aged really fast, so it lost all the meaning. Imagine if damien had grow so fast like chris.
    Lois and clark doesn't need a send off to the sunset, no when there is new stories that could be told with them.

Incredible Member

There has been a lot written that the Convergence storylines will just be closure for the pre52 stories.I hope not! I would prefer a combination of pre52 and new 52, which if the writers pick and choose carefully coul please most people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    There has been a lot written that the Convergence storylines will just be closure for the pre52 stories.I hope not! I would prefer a combination of pre52 and new 52, which if the writers pick and choose carefully coul please most people.
    closure? Stephanie brown had a amazing send off in her last issue. Nothing will ever tops that. so I don't see anything attractive in a closure, since no fan ever asked for it. Never saw a fan asking for closure, but for new stories set in that continuity

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    If I understand very well chris aged really fast, so it lost all the meaning. Imagine if damien had grow so fast like chris.
    Lois and clark doesn't need a send off to the sunset, no when there is new stories that could be told with them.
    Damian was doing all sorts of things as Robin/Son of Bruce Wayne/ Son of Tallia Al Ghul/Grandson of R'as/Partner of Dick!Bats. There wasn't any real reason for him to have his status quo altered and is probably a big reason why he's getting brought back. Meanwhile I can't even remember any defining aspects of Chris, he seemed more like a pet most of the time rather than a person. When he got aged up I don't think Chris had been doing much of anything prior to it which is probably why he got phantomzone'd.

As for the marriage, it was in place when I first started getting into US comics back in the early 2000's so there is pretty much a backlog of stories to read. Frankly it's a marriage, it wasn't and wont be the well of story lines people think it will be at least not without it turning dysfunctional eventually which I'm sure no one wants.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

I barely see a difference from a relationship to a marriage, seems more like a block from writers and readers. luke cage, FF are married on marvel universe, ok that FF fell in quality but had a great run with Hickaman that now is using the characters in his time runs out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I barely see a difference from a relationship to a marriage, seems more like a block from writers and readers. luke cage, FF are married on marvel universe, ok that FF fell in quality but had a great run with Hickaman that now is using the characters in his time runs out.
    The FF are a relic from the silver age and struggling even harder than Superman himself. Luke's marriage to Jessica hasn't been a well of stories either from what I've seen.