Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    I was just listing the ones that popped into my head and I did say that I wouldn't call it essential.
    Oh, okay. I really don't like Blood and Thunder. I think it probably would have been alright if it were a 4-5 issue Thor arc, but the idea to make it a bloated 16 part "epic" was a major mistake. Also, I am thoroughly convinced that Hector Collazo was inking Tom Grindberg's pencils with a Sharpie tip that he had rubbed over a cinder block for several hours. (And then there's MC Wyman. Wow.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daska View Post
    Avoid Matt Fraction's run at all costs. Do not read it, it is horrific.
    However, I would recommend reading Keiron Gillen's Journey into Mystery, which was running concurrently with Fraction's Thor run. It features Loki, and it's one of the best Marvel comics of the past decade. It even crosses over with Fraction's Thor, which actually made Fraction's Thor readable for a few issues. (Alan Davis art helped.)

BANNED

I would start with the JMS restart of Thor as you don't need to wade through Ragnarok after Ragnarok and restarts. It really does set the stage for the current run. You can stop when he wraps up his run though as it does go down hill (IMO) after he leaves the title. Then the Aaron run which I think will go down as a classic story (although it has it's moments, the art by E.R more than carries the extra load when the story falters). The weakest of the run is the Garney/Thor 2 tie-in story- but it will obviously blend into the current state so it may be more important than I initially assumed.
    This is just my opinion on essentials though, all will have different thoughts. For me, the current after Civil War Thor has by far been the best run and characterization I have read. I personally did not care for much of the run after Siege but others live for it. I loved the Pepe Larraz art though.

BANNED

You must read the classics. Lee and Simonson. The Jurgens run was great. A lot of people downplay it but compared to some half a$$ed gimmicks those were real stories. The end of his run with King Thor was great. Showed that Thor really is greater than all the other heroes. Oeming and Divito's "Thor Disassembled" is a MUST have! That's one story I read over and over again and the art was so crisp! Divito is a great artist. JMS' initial run was very good as well. After the Secret Invasion/Siege interference it went downhill. I was loving Aaron's run until he did what he did. Quite frankly I can't stand GoT anymore. So much so I sold my issues back just last week. I'm gonna pretend his run never happened. However since you're new to Thor it will be a good read. After that I have nothing as I've stopped collecting Thor. Enjoy the old stories! You'll see how lackluster this new stuff is in comparison.
    Last edited by ThunderingHammer; 11-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    The subject line says it all. I loved the Thor movies, like the Warriors Three, and also like seeing Thor battle Hercules. But what are the God of Thunder's essential stories?
    I'd backup the recommendations for the Lee/Kirby, Simonson, and Jurgens runs, along with Oeming's Thor Disassembled. The Eternals/Celestials Saga (Thor 282 to Thor 301) from the 70's is a pretty fun read, if you can find all the issues.

If you are interested in Thor vs Hercules stories, you HAVE to check out Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente's Incredible Hercules series, especially The Replacement Thor storyline (issues 132, 134 and 136) in which Hercules masquerades as Thor while having adventures in Asgard! It's pretty great.

Last edited by Captain Jibberish; 11-20-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jibberish View Post
    I'd backup the recommendations for the Lee/Kirby, Simonson, and Jurgens runs, along with Oeming's Thor Disassembled. The Eternals/Celestials Saga (Thor 282 to Thor 301) from the 70's is a pretty fun read, if you can find all the issues.

If you are interested in Thor vs Hercules stories, you HAVE to check out Gre Pak and Fred Van Lente's Incredible Hercules series, especially The Replacement Thor storyline (issues 132, 134 and 136) in which Hercules masquerades as Thor while having adventures in Asgard! It's pretty great.

Still the greatest sound effect of all time!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    You must read the classics. Lee and Simonson. The Jurgens run was great. A lot of people downplay it but compared to some half a$$ed gimmicks those were real stories. The end of his run with King Thor was great. Showed that Thor really is greater than all the other heroes. Oeming and Divito's "Thor Disassembled" is a MUST have! That's one story I read over and over again and the art was so crisp! Divito is a great artist. JMS' initial run was very good as well. After the Secret Invasion/Siege interference it went downhill. I was loving Aaron's run until he did what he did. Quite frankly I can't stand GoT anymore. So much so I sold my issues back just last week. I'm gonna pretend his run never happened. However since you're new to Thor it will be a good read. After that I have nothing as I've stopped collecting Thor. Enjoy the old stories! You'll see how lackluster this new stuff is in comparison.
    What did Jason Aaron did exactly? The Female-Thor was editorials decision
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Just read God Butcher and Godbomb and those two were amazing! I Don't think I'll be picking up the omnibus, it costs so much! What would you guys recommend for some action packed Thor runs where they explore his powers? Going to try and find Disassemble next

Really the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age classic run on Thor is where you'll find some of Thor's most varied powers (ones he either never or seldom uses today). Dan Jurgens' run on Thor sees him perform some epic feats as well. Post-2007 Thor is more limited to your basic lightning strikes and the occasional storm or portal opening.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What did Jason Aaron did exactly? The Female-Thor was editorials decision

No it wasn't. And the new Thor book is good. ThunderingHammer is just bitter about Thor being replaced by a woman for a while.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-17-2014 at 05:37 PM.

All-New Member

Only a few pages into Thor Disassembled and I noticed that Odin simply gave Thor Mjolnir, but in God of Thunder's Young Thor had to be worthy enough to wield it. Are these in different universes?

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    Only a few pages into Thor Disassembled and I noticed that Odin simply gave Thor Mjolnir, but in God of Thunder's Young Thor had to be worthy enough to wield it. Are these in different universes?
    Short answer: No.

Spectacular Member

as a huge thor fan, i have to say i honestly think aaron's current god of thunder run is the best this title has ever been. i started reading comics during the simonson run, and those are fantastic. the celestial saga is another great older run, it's collected in 2 trades (it might be listed as the eternal saga). fraction's run is weak, but he did a few one shots that were fantastic, i think they are collected as ages of thunder or something like that. some cool, dark stuff. the jms run is pretty good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    as a huge thor fan, i have to say i honestly think aaron's current god of thunder run is the best this title has ever been. i started reading comics during the simonson run, and those are fantastic. the celestial saga is another great older run, it's collected in 2 trades (it might be listed as the eternal saga). fraction's run is weak, but he did a few one shots that were fantastic, i think they are collected as ages of thunder or something like that. some cool, dark stuff. the jms run is pretty good, too.
    Yeah, Ages of Thunder is great! That's why Fraction's regular run was so disappointing.