Page 3 of 167 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Snowpiercer - Captain America teams up with the War Doctor to stop the 1% while riding on a train. What's not to love?
    A good plot could had been nice? ;] I mean, the 3rd act twist really just ruins the whole movie and makes it nonsensical.

spoilers:
    If the plan was always to have Captain America become the ruler, did all those 1% soldiers know about this? Wasn't it just a miracle that he survived all the way till the end? Not to mention, the whole suggestion of having him become the boss, after everything Captain America had went thru just seemed dumb.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Pax Americana is the best Ultimates issue i've read in a long time. It's Grant Morrison's tribute to comic books, but it's also a major reference/tribute to Alan Moore's Watchmen, Charlton comic characters and Mark Millar's Ultimates.

Brace yourselves for the next exciting chapter of THE MULTIVERSITY as the acclaimed ALL-STAR SUPERMAN team of writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely investigate the conspiracy on Earth-4, home of Pax Americana! Told backwards through an experimental storytelling technique that reveals new mysteries with each turn of the page, PAX AMERICANA stars The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightshade and Peacemaker like you’ve never seen them before! As the assassination of the U.S. president leads to political intrigue, interpersonal drama and astro-physical wonder, the truth behind the crime and those involved will blow your mind! What confidential conversation between the president and Captain Atom could reveal everything? How far will The Question take his hunt for the truth before he hurts his former friends – or himself? And who is the steel-handed bogeyman operating in the shadows?

Discover all this and more in this exciting stand-alone issue which also acts as chapter four of the MULTIVERSITY storyline. Join us, if your dare, for THE MULTIVERSITY!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Ladies and gents, what're you pulling these days?
    Everything Spider-Verse
    Batman beyond
    Miles Morales: Ultimate spider-man

Done.

I have found that I am not a fan of team books, large casts tend to turn everyone into wall paper, and in an effort to prevent this the writer focuses on a few characters, which then in turn makes all the other into real wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    And there's going to be a Mrs. Plawsky in six months, so I suppose that's exciting.
    Wait, WHAT?

Last edited by RockyBanks; 11-19-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: See what I did there? It's a Doctor Who reference AND a reference to Plawsky's old avatar. Because eyepatch.

Alright, now tell me what YOU have been up to!
    The CliffsNotes version:

- Each issue of Saga devastated me with feels.
    - My son started Kindergarten. This cut my daycare bill in half, but made me feel 10 years older.
    - My doctor diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder. I didn't realize how much I needed help until I got it. Long story.
    - My alma mater made me proud. I saw my Dawgs take beat Auburn in person. Never gonna forget that. #HailState
    - Nick Pitarra visited my LCS and sketched Oppenheimer on the cover of a Manhattan Projects trade. I bought it.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Congratulations, Plawsky!

And to you, too, Rocky, on the kid starting school. That's exciting. I'm sorry about the diagnosis but I'm glad you're getting help. I read the first volume of Saga from the library and put the next two on my birthday/holiday wishlist, so we'll see if they happen.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Plawsky, when do we get to meet the lucky lady?

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    Switching from cable to HuluPlus, meant I am now not watching Doctor Who, I miss it so much! I really like the first episodes of 12. The last one I saw was the bank heist episode.
    Everyone really seems to like that episode, but it wasn't one of my favorites from this season. Listen was hands down my favorite, one of my favorite from the entire series; Capaldi is just such a dang good Doctor. He even makes me not hate Clara sometimes. The penultimate episode was pretty great too, though the finale was weak. Fortunately, Michelle Gomez blew it out of the park.

I want to watch Affair for Maura Tiennery
    She's good it in, but she's not a huge part, despite being the main guy's wife. Almost no one but the main two characters are, really. Still a good show, though.

Modern Family, something is off and I'm not sure what it is. Like it is waiting for something
    Ugh, it's just so bad. It was pretty bad the past two years, too. Every season there's at least one great episode - last year's Vegas episode was brilliant - but the par is so low. I don't know how they sneak away with the Emmy every year, because it hasn't deserved it since season 2. If Parks and Rec doesn't win for its final season, I'll be crushed.

They should have quit while they were ahead. The kids are too old now - Luke and Manny, in particular. Hayley is nothing but a pair of boobs, and Alex is just annoying. The only kid worth anything is Lilly, who gets the show's best lines.

About a Boy's second season is nowhere near as good as the first one
    Yeah, no kidding. Speaking of puberty ruining a good show, this is a perfect example. It's not as funny now that his voice has changed and he's a teenager. It went from cute to weird. I still like the show, but it went from "favorite new show of the season" to "show I watch because I've watched everything else by Saturday morning." Still better than Modern Family, so at least it's got that going for it.

I really have missed Silicon Valley, those six episodes were not enough! The two were so strong
    Fortunately it's getting a second season, unlike Hello Ladies, which was another hit for HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    A good plot could had been nice? ;] I mean, the 3rd act twist really just ruins the whole movie and makes it nonsensical.

spoilers:
    If the plan was always to have Captain America become the ruler, did all those 1% soldiers know about this? Wasn't it just a miracle that he survived all the way till the end? Not to mention, the whole suggestion of having him become the boss, after everything Captain America had went thru just seemed dumb.
    end of spoilers
    I had a few issues with the ending, but it was a cool ride. There are some obvious plot holes regarding the train itself, of course, though I don't think those really matter. spoilers:
    As for him becoming leader, I was under the impression that the soldiers were all aware of this. He implies it when he's monologuing at the end that everyone is in on it - "The Great Curtis Revolution," and all that. They just hoped he would cave like War Doctor did. Instead, he killed off humanity by crashing the train.
    end of spoilers

Minor grievances aside, the performances absolutely carried the film. The leads were all great, and holy crap was Tilda Swinton perfect or what?! I also saw the movie where she's a vampire with Loki, which was pretty dang great.

The CliffsNotes version:

- Each issue of Saga devastated me with feels.
    - My son started Kindergarten. This cut my daycare bill in half, but made me feel 10 years older.
    - My doctor diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder. I didn't realize how much I needed help until I got it. Long story.
    - My alma mater made me proud. I saw my Dawgs take beat Auburn in person. Never gonna forget that. #HailState
    - Nick Pitarra visited my LCS and sketched Oppenheimer on the cover of a Manhattan Projects trade. I bought it.
    -I heard #24 was insane. I've got vol 4 preordered and vow to finally catch up when that's delivered.
    -But now he's old enough to mow the lawn, so that's good!
    -Sad/glad to hear, respectively. (maybe Saga had something to do with that?!)
    -If only they could have done it against Bama. I really don't care who wins college football, as long as it's not Bama (though I'd prefer no SEC, period). That's the freedom I get from going to a football-less school.
    -Looks like someone already got me a wedding gift!!!

Plawsky, when do we get to meet the lucky lady?
    As if I would allow you fools anywhere near her.

As if I would allow you fools anywhere near her.
    D'aww, why not?

So I just reread the first volume of Hickman's New Avengers. I'd forgotten how good it is... If I don't get the next couple volumes as gifts I'll definitely be using some personal money on 'em. (It especially reads more fun if viewed through the lens of Steve and Tony as dysfunctional boyfriends and T'Challa and Namor as having an ENORMOUS amount of belligerent sexual tension. #justsaying )
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    So I just reread the first volume of Hickman's New Avengers. I'd forgotten how good it is... If I don't get the next couple volumes as gifts I'll definitely be using some personal money on 'em. (It especially reads more fun if viewed through the lens of Steve and Tony as dysfunctional boyfriends and T'Challa and Namor as having an ENORMOUS amount of belligerent sexual tension. #justsaying )
    I'm reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers for the first time, and I agree. NA is gripping.

BANNED

New Avengers is such a great title for sure.

How's the regular Avengers title been? I read the first volume; light on characterwork but I know b/w the two of them, NA is more about that, with Avengers being more "epic superhero army escapades," and knowing that going in, I think I'll be fine with more of that.

He/him/his pronouns.

BANNED

Avengers is less awesome, it suffers from being too much of a showcase, lacking depth.

Yeah, Avengers is basically a companion title to New Avengers.