Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Things that BUG YOU in sci-fi flicks?

For me its "all T-800s look like Arnold" in the Terminator flicks. Would have loved to see other varieties such as female and African-American ones. Hopefully we'll get these in future movies.

Loved Franco's T800 and wish we coulda seen more of him.

And YOU?

Extraordinary Member

These days, there always seems to be a IT whiz that can move planets by typing on a keyboard.

Mighty Member

(thanks!) R2's convenient ability to always be able to unlock doors, cut chains, zap bad guys etc....
    For once I'd like to see him NOT be able to do everything...
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 03-05-2024 at 03:56 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    These days, there always seems to be a IT whiz that can move planets by typing on a keyboard.
    It somewhat makes more sense if we're dealing with an explicitly future-set sci-fi work, especially if it's supposed to be at least a few or several decades ahead of our time, but not as much when it's present-day or close enough to it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

About Time is the only film that recognizes that if you go back in time before a kid was conceived and change history, that kid will be different, because it will be a different combination of genes. The parents are the same, but it's like how people are different from their siblings.

So that bugs me in stories where history is changed.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Too much empty space in star ships. You need to keep as much oxygen as you will need. Big, cavernous rooms is wasteful.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

What are your views on time travel and its consequences?

BTTF has the ripple effect where people fade away, Terminator has characters still existing when places like cyberdyne are destroyed, Bill and Ted have keys and garbage cans appear as long as they go back the previous day to set them up...

Then there's Time Rider, "which let's face it, was just plain silly'

Boisterously Confused

Artificial gravity. I don't mind cases where the ship uses centrifuges or continual acceleration, but the type that just magically holds stuff down annoys me.

Why aren't the dorsal surfaces of such starships coated under layers of every bit of crap the vessel got anywhere near?

I'm bugged by planets just having one environment - ice planet, desert planet, swamp planet, forest planet, etc. In "Thor: Ragnarok" I figured Thor just landed in a big junk yard, but then I hear everyone calling it a "junk planet" -- was it? Or do people just assume the entire planet is like that because they've been conditioned to think so by other sci-fi movies? Why does it seem earth the only planet that has many different environments?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-06-2024 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Why does it seem earth the only planet that has many different environments?
    Because we're special. It's why we have to teach the other alien races about love.

Sounds.......

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm bugged by planets just having one environment - ice planet, desert planet, swamp planet, forest planet, etc. In "Thor: Ragnarok" I figured Thor just landed in a big hunk yard, but then I hear everyone calling it a "junk planet" -- was it? Or do people just assume the entire planet is like that because they've been conditioned to think so by other sci-fi movies? Why does it seem earth the only planet that has many different environments?
    No wonder they keep crossing billions of light years to invade our overpopulated, near-resource-depleated world. They're dying for some eco-variety.

Where do I even begin?

"The failsafe stopped working! If we don't stop the X device, we will all die!"

Thats... not how failsafes work. If a device has a failsafe, it means it's designed to be safe if it fails.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member

No one mentioned sound effects in space, yet.

I am not bothered by anything. If it gets to complicated we wouldn't have Star Wars, Star Trek, Dune etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    No one mentioned sound effects in space, yet.

I am not bothered by anything. If it gets to complicated we wouldn't have Star Wars, Star Trek, Dune etc...
    Sound effects are generated by your ship’s computer based on sensor telemetry. It’s an additional sensory aid so you can listen instead of having to keep checking the radar screen while dogfighting.