Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    i used to love power rangers when i was a kid but i dont know if watch this, ive saw some fans reviews that said that is good, and some critics reviews that said that is bad, so, confusing
    someone said to me that this movie is really good so why so bad reviews? i cant undertand
    Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    In general, professional critics are going to review the film as an objective individual movie, which I think is in general good but has some significant flaws. If we're being kind, that would be a fair account of the original show.

I think some knowledge of the property is necessary to really get into the movie, as I don't know if it did enough on its own to make new fans out of people. I've seen some people review it and say they never liked the Power Rangers but actually enjoyed the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam West View Post
    It's not a movie that critics will like. But if you love Power Rangers as a kid, I think you gonna love this one. The movie got heart
    Yea I indeed Agree with Adam West and Ariwl1, I would Not Go by what many critics are saying Darewithpeace, their are a good amount of movies that come-out that where never made for the general public critic to review. You will not get the proper perspective on this movie from them, they are just bonus at best opinions, the main opinion is from fans that know the show and other fans that are fans of Comic Pop-Culture to give the best reviews of it.

Mostly However, this is a Movie you need to See to Really get how it is, many of our reviews and posts no matter HOW much we got into can't put up a candle light to the experience of seeing a movie like this.

My Best suggestion is I Highly Recommend you see this movie Darewithpeace and be the judge for yourself.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 03-28-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

This movie was always going to have an uphill battle with critics since the franchise has a reputation mainly for extreme campiness and goofy superheroics. The franchise has never been known for fine acting, intriguing plots, or high production values. Longtime Rangers fans might argue otherwise, but the general public only remembers Mighty Morphin' which did not set a very high bar.

I could see people being disappointed as the later trailers really sold the action movie aspects of the film which in reality was around 20 minutes of a two hour movie. I'm personally glad we got all that time with characters, but they could have used a little more action time at the end.

Personally I like how they couldn't morph until the end and I wouldn't change that, but if I had to I'd want to keep the spirit of the idea somehow. I'm not saying this would work but my one idea to address that would be to focus on Billy. He managed to morph before everyone else, so maybe he gets some solo Ranger action and beats up a few Putties. But then things go south when he runs into Rita which leads into the scene where the rest of the Rangers cement their freindship and can finally morph. You get one extra action scene while keeping the course the movie was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    The same critics that bash this movie for actually taking the time to flesh out the characters and not just have the movie be filled with loads of action, camp, and little character development would be the same ones bashing the movie if it did have all those things.
    It's fascinating at times, but I take that criticism almost like a compliment. I've read a couple reviews that cited the same challenges, but also felt that a detriment for this movie could help make a better sequel, since all that development is already done and over with.

Roger Ebert had the same criticism with the first X-Men movie. He thought that there was no balance in that there was too much talking and too little action, but said that because of the way the characters were presented, even though he overall didn't like X-Men, he wanted to see how X-Men 2 would turn out. Lo and behold, he gave X2 a very, very favorable review, thanks largely because the sequel wasn't hampered with as much baggage as the original. Cleaner, simpler, more straightforward, even though the stakes and characters had increased.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

someone said to me that this movie is really good so why so bad reviews? i cant undertand
    Couple reasons. The movie is fun, but it's also a pretty standard Superhero origin story. We're going on ten years of that now, so backlash can't be unexpected. Even if it's a different franchise with different characters, origin stories are mad unoriginal at this point.

The second reason is that critics watch movies for a living. A lot of movies. A lot of movies. And a lot of those movies share similar themes. And when you've seen something that's like something else you've already seen that was like something else you've already seen, you become predisposed to judging it harshly. If they weren't half out of their minds with hostile boredom, they'd probably temper their words a little, but they are, so they don't. Plus, they're undoubtedly sick of reviewing superhero flicks. There's a lot of superhero movies out there already, and more coming every year. I can't even imagine their despair.

The problem with comic fans is that they don't like it when the merits of their favorite franchises are solely judged as films. For them it's about the comics, and the tie-in novels, and the games, and the history and the feeling of total immersion in the fantasy. For the critics, it's just about the damn movie and they don't care about anything else. And if they don't like it, they're gonna tell you why in exact and brutal language. So the comic fans feel attacked and start attacking back, and it all looks very silly when you take a step back and makes Alan Moore look like a sage when he calls the whole endeavor "unhealthy escapism."
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Astonishing Member

Interesting to hear there's some lack of clarity as to whether Trini's last name is still Kwan in this incarnation.

The film itself never calls her such but also omits giving her last name at all.

Some of the crew have said that Kwan is the apparent name still while Trini's actress has said it's not Kwan anymore.

I'm guessing if anything Kwan might be changed into some Latin equivalent or become her middle name, though for now I'll keep thinking of her as Kwan for simplicity admittedly.

Kinda curious what the writers think a Latin equivalent of "Kwan" would be. But regardless, for the team itself they seem to hit all the right beats when it comes to diversity. Autism, race, sexuality, gender.

If the next movie somehow shows that Trini is of mixed-heritage and thus part Asian (explaining the Kwan surname), it'd be interesting in that the Rangers would have THREE rangers of Asian descent there, which would be pretty neat. Still questionable and imperfect of course (nothing is ever really perfect, and that's okay) as far as casting is concerned, but the idea of having half a superhero team be Asian would be unprecedented for an American film, even including Big Hero 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Kinda curious what the writers think a Latin equivalent of "Kwan" would be.
    LOL Juan.

The original Trini from the concept pilot was Latina, movie Trini seems somewhat more based on her, she may have already had a last name they considered using.

https://i.imgflip.com/1ec70y.gif

Last edited by Güicho; 03-30-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL Juan.

The original Trini from the concept pilot was Latina, movie Trini seems somewhat more based on her, she may have already had a last name they considered using.

https://i.imgflip.com/1ec70y.gif

THAT MORPH! Hahaha. From using one hand to activate it, to the zyuranger footage in the background, to the smiling while morphing. This made my day. I've seen clips of this a long time ago, but I don't ever think I saw the morph. My god, this is gold.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Everybody Loves Amy Jo Johnson!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

So I know a lot of people who were already fans of PR like this but what about people who've never seen PR?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I know a lot of people who were already fans of PR like this but what about people who've never seen PR?
    My sister hates Power Rangers and found herself really enjoying the movie.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

The movie was fine, it's a classic popcorn film, fun and all that. You can't expect something more for this kind of movies, so the movie made it's purpose.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 04-02-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My sister hates Power Rangers and found herself really enjoying the movie.
    I didn't watch it with them, but a good chunk of my family (millennial cousins, empty-nest parents) went together and ended up really enjoying the movie.

The other day I went to a local grease spoon for a late lunch. I live by a couple high schools, so the place is a popular hang out for teens after school. Definitely far too young to be around when MMPR came out (so, what, they were born during Ninja Storm, I suppose?). It was pretty surreal to hear them talk about how much they wanted to see the movie. [old man voice]Why, when I was their age, my classmates hated Power Rangers. Made fun of 'em.[/old man] Funny how times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I didn't watch it with them, but a good chunk of my family (millennial cousins, empty-nest parents) went together and ended up really enjoying the movie.

The other day I went to a local grease spoon for a late lunch. I live by a couple high schools, so the place is a popular hang out for teens after school. Definitely far too young to be around when MMPR came out (so, what, they were born during Ninja Storm, I suppose?). It was pretty surreal to hear them talk about how much they wanted to see the movie. [old man voice]Why, when I was their age, my classmates hated Power Rangers. Made fun of 'em.[/old man] Funny how times have changed.
    Yea, but not to take away from this perspective, because this was my exact reaction having gone through the similar struggle of seeing PR made fun of in middle school. But this is supposed to be the "edgy" PR so of course people of many ages will want to see it. Because if I were to guess, those same kids probably wouldn't watch the currently airing PR show.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i guess i will wait for the online release and save my money for guardians of the galaxy vol 2, lol
    we can be heroes, just for one day