Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Liam C and Mele R have been cast as employees of 'Buzzblast'

https://www.bgt.nz/talent/cv/coll9.html

https://www.bgt.nz/talent/cv/radm4.html

The costumes from the first Power Rangers movie are up for auction.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/these-costum...-ar-1845735856

Astonishing Member

SPD

Been catching up on this on Netflix and it's a blast. Bruce Kalash was a masterful showrunner and he knocked it out of the park with this series. It's sad that he was held back so much by Disney, I saw a convention panel where he said blocked him from having a woman leader of the B-Squad, didn't want any of the women rangers to ride motorcycles because of sexism and he fought hard to get the A-Team to be have a woman Red Ranger. I'm curious if he wanted Z or Syd to be the original leader.

Time Force

Watched the first two episodes today and I loved this. The future and tone is very pseudo 80's dystopia/action hero orientated, all the technology is wonderful like the stylish static in the mini-hologram screens and all the characters are fun to watch. Jen instantly became my top Pink Ranger, it's easy to see how she became popular and I adore Katie. Blandy McBladerson becomes more interesting when they focus on how he's rich to give him character, especially when he rebels against his rich, uptight family.

Beast Morphers

SPD, kind of, meets Dino Thunder. The first few episodes hooked me quick, all the characters were engaging and I want to see where it goes next. I liked how the pilot explored the government attempting to gain unlimited energy by tapping into the Morphing Grid which, of course, gets hijacked by the villain.

Dino Charge

My favorite in the Hasbro era. Fun characters, good scripts, wonderful performances. Emulates MMPR without becoming a bland clone. I know Morgan becomes the Purple Ranger but I heard she doesn't get as much to do as the actress wanted, didn't take long to make me a fan of Kendall. She steals the show, despite not being a Ranger.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 11-25-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    SPD

Been catching up on this on Netflix and it's a blast. Bruce Kalash was a masterful showrunner and he knocked it out of the park with this series. It's sad that he was held back so much by Disney, I saw a convention panel where he said blocked him from having a woman leader of the B-Squad, didn't want any of the women rangers to ride motorcycles because of sexism and he fought hard to get the A-Team to be have a woman Red Ranger. I'm curious if he wanted Z or Syd to be the original leader.
    That's interesting. I always felt like Syd got the short end of the stick as far as characterization goes. That would have gone a long way in her development.

One thing I always heard though is SPD went overboard with their budget, mostly (or entirely) thanks to making Sam a ball of light, and that's why we never got the Mystic Force crossover. Not sure if that's true, but looking at the Sentai of the crossover I really wanted to see that, especially Koragg vs Doggie Kruger.

Wait, Syd and Z didn't get to ride bikes because of sexism? Why? It's not like female Rangers hadn't ridden bikes before. Two of the seasons before SPD even had female bike-riding Rangers. I just don't get it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, Syd and Z didn't get to ride bikes because of sexism? Why? It's not like female Rangers hadn't ridden bikes before. Two of the seasons before SPD even had female bike-riding Rangers. I just don't get it.
    It's partially sexism, partially budget.

They didn't want to produce too many bikes for the season, so they made sure that two of the male characters got them.

Astonishing Member

What's going on with the Power Rangers dvd and blu rays? I've been looking to buy some but it's irritating. Thankfully I was able to get a Dino Charge one, but it was a four episode thing rather than a full season and I was lucky to get that, when I asked the video store they said the Power rangers dvd were discontinued. Which only affects the tv shows, the recent movie I found immediately. I don't get it, Saban or Hasbro or whoever has made sure to get every season streaming on Netflix and other platforms but they'll leave money on the table with dvd and blu rays. I heard Shout Factory asked to do collections for PR but were shot down, and they're making money hand over fist over a new movie collection over the Friday the 13th so they know what they're doing. It's bizarre. It's not like movies and tv shows don't make good money doing that, especially these days where anything gets a complete series collection from Sanctuary to Xena.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's partially sexism, partially budget.

They didn't want to produce too many bikes for the season, so they made sure that two of the male characters got them.
    The weird part is that in the Sentai, the Blue Ranger is the only one of the core five with a bike. The other Rangers used cars, one driven by the Red and Yellow Rangers and the other driven by the Pink and Green Rangers.

The weird part is that in the Sentai, the Blue Ranger is the only one of the core five with a bike. The other Rangers used cars, one driven by the Red and Yellow Rangers and the other driven by the Pink and Green Rangers.
    Weird too was that the Blue Ranger's original Dekaranger bike was specifically shown to be inferior to the other American SPD bikes as well. I get that the other bikes were toys that needed to be sold, but jeez, no need to crap on what came before.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Weird too was that the Blue Ranger's original Dekaranger bike was specifically shown to be inferior to the other American SPD bikes as well. I get that the other bikes were toys that needed to be sold, but jeez, no need to crap on what came before.
    With that type of treatment in-universe, it's a wonder the SPD team didn't collapse. Doggie and Kat couldn't sown more discord amongst the Rangers if they tried.

Astonishing Member

With that type of treatment in-universe, it's a wonder the SPD team didn't collapse. Doggie and Kat couldn't sown more discord amongst the Rangers if they tried.
    Fictional universes are often like that.

Astonishing Member

Question Would you consider the Power Rangers to be superheroes?

While they're definitely more based in Japanese superhero tropes than American ones, it's funny how there are people who don't consider the Power Rangers to be superheroes.

Is it because they don't fight "normal" criminals or because they didn't originate from comic books?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    While they're definitely more based in Japanese superhero tropes than American ones, it's funny how there are people who don't consider the Power Rangers to be superheroes.
    I absolutely do consider them superheroes.

Is it because they don't fight "normal" criminals or because they didn't originate from comic books?
    The former would mean that Dr Strange and the X-Men aren't superheroes. The latter would discredit the Incredible as superheroes since they aren't a comics original property either.

I absolutely do consider them superheroes.

The former would mean that Dr Strange and the X-Men aren't superheroes. The latter would discredit the Incredible as superheroes since they aren't a comics original property either.
    Well, the X-Men fight Mutant criminals and occasionally street crime, but I agree with your point .

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    One thing I always heard though is SPD went overboard with their budget, mostly (or entirely) thanks to making Sam a ball of light, and that's why we never got the Mystic Force crossover. Not sure if that's true, but looking at the Sentai of the crossover I really wanted to see that, especially Koragg vs Doggie Kruger.
    Sam wasn't the cause, he was a consequence. They did go over budget, and it meant they couldn't afford another live actor when the time came to adapt DekaBreak. Hence why Omega Ranger was just a ball of light instead of appearing unmorphed. It meant they only needed a voice actor, which is cheaper.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman