Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Alpha looks like a cross between the Ultra Q monster Kanegon along with the Millennium Alien from Godzilla 2000 (which, as anyone can tell you, turns into the monster Orga after absorbing Godzilla's DNA).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    omg why?! OMG WHY?!?!?!?!

I'm more annoyed by the beer gut than the eyes. Though I think the point of both is to hammer home that Alpha is a goofy character so might as well make his body match in every possible way.

Also its concept art, so its possible the final version will share similarities but otherwise will be different.

Alpha looks like the Borg tried to assimilate ET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Alpha looks like the Borg tried to assimilate ET.
    Α rather succesfull assimilation from what i can understand.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I'm more annoyed by the beer gut than the eyes. Though I think the point of both is to hammer home that Alpha is a goofy character so might as well make his body match in every possible way.

Also its concept art, so its possible the final version will share similarities but otherwise will be different.
    Yeah, that's how I look at it, too. Surely Lionsgate must be paying attention to the feedback this Alpha is getting. Almost no one seems to like it. If I were them, I'd have a few designs worked out and go with the one that's most likely to work. They may have released this version just to see how people would react to a more "out there" design.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I'm more annoyed by the beer gut than the eyes.
    *Pops open a can of beer and chugs it all down in seconds*

...aaahhhh....ai yi yi needed that.

they are trying real hard to separate themselves from the tv shows and they are going a bit too far.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    they are trying real hard to separate themselves from the tv shows and they are going a bit too far.
    For who? They don't care, AT ALL about fans of the original show. It's just a nostalgic name for them to draw on. They want that blockbuster, mainstream dollar, and you don't get that by being camp and cheesy. We can debate whether you get that by going alien and slightly creepy, but it's what they're going for. The whole point of everything we've seen from this so far is leaning really, really heavily into the alien aspect. Implicit in every reveal we've seen is AN EXPLICIT CHOICE to deviate from the look of the original material. This is a feature, not a bug, as far as the people behind this are concerned. They aren't trying to recreate Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

We won't actually know if they went too far until we see box office receipts. If this thing makes huge bank, or even is modestly successful, then they didn't go too far. If it tanks, is it because they went too weird with their designs, or because the average moviegoer remembers Power Rangers as being terrible, campy and ridiculous? They're actually fighting an uphill battle to get people to take this film seriously as a big time picture.

Speaking purely for myself, I'm GLAD they're going so different. If I wanted to see Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on the big screen, I'd watch the original film with the television cast. I want to see what they do with similar concepts taken in a radically different direction. Show me something new, not just a rehash of what has come before.

I'm more annoyed by the beer gut than the eyes.
    It looks more like a bended spine than a beer gut. Kind of like the aliens from Mass Effect, the Salarians. Different endomorph features for sure.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It looks more like a bended spine than a beer gut.
    No it looks like a beer gut. Distended belly in the Alpha 5 concept art, vs belly looks like its being sucked in in that Salarian pic you posted. It would be impossible to look at the Salarian pic and think the same thing when its MINUS a belly bulge, that actually doesn't make any sense now that I'm thinking about it.

The 2019-20 Power Rangers series will definitely have an orange ranger and a male yellow ranger, as both the currently airing Zyuohger and just revealed Kyuranger have those, and the producers will be choosing between those two when deciding what to do after Ninja Steel. Zyuohger is cube animals and Kyuranger is constellations and outer space. Kyuranger has done something that's never happened before: nine rangers at the start of the series!

^It's sad that Saban has to pick and choose which Sentai shows to adapt now. I hear that they've skipped some interesting shows and gimmicks.

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters and Ressha Sentai ToQger got passed over, yeah. The former was spies with animal/vehicle hybrid mecha and robot animal buddies, the latter was trains. The blame lies with Nickelodeon. They won't allow them to do more than 22 episodes a year (and moving to another channel isn't an option, Cartoon Network won't like that it's live action, Disney already got rid of it and don't want it back), but this isn't enough time to showcase all the toys - they've tried. Megaforce and Super Megaforce adapted Tensou Sentai Goseiger and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. It was rushed. Two zords got omitted from the Goseiger fleet - Mystic Runner and Datas Hyper - while not all of the past teams were showcased in the Gokaiger footage - among the skipped episodes was a team up with Ninja Storm, and yet they instead used footage of previously unadapted suits! They also omitted one of the Sentai villains completely. Overall, they condensed 101 Super Sentai episodes into only 42 PR episodes. Having learned their lesson, they adapted the 48 episode Kyoryuger over 44 episodes as Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge, and the same will happen with Ninninger's adaptation, hence why those other two seasons got passed up.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-04-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^It's sad that Saban has to pick and choose which Sentai shows to adapt now. I hear that they've skipped some interesting shows and gimmicks.
    Go-Busters, sure. I think that would have been fairly easy to adapt. ToQger, though...I'm not so sure, but I guess if they gave it a steampunk vibe it could have worked.

They're skipping seasons thanks to each season now having to be two seasons (Dignified explained as much above). Which sucks cause now burnout gets to set in and there's no real sense of urgency.

Surprisingly Alpha's design doesn't completely scream trying hard to be edgy as the other designs do. I would tone down that head though, or at least what we would think are eyes.