Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Hello everyone, although I'm still fairly new around this site, I do very much frequent other forums like Power Ranger specialty forums like Rangerboard etc where we do talk about this quite a bit. However though, the reaction to this iteration of Goldar isn't as strong there and there's a reason for that(at least to my understanding) and not everyone has written off the movie prematurely. You see, you gotta remember that this movie is adapting itself from a franchise that is known and famous for its B-Grade movie monster villains that are if not more horrifically designed to the point where some folk do point and laugh. There's a reason why that was so when a good number of us were children. I mean for god sake, there was an episode where a killer handbag monster was a villain with like dental floss of doom or something as a weapon and that looked stupid as hell.

Despite a lot of things in the movie trying to make itself edgier than the TV show, they bring in one thing practically lifted from the TV show and that gets more ridiculed than anything. For some, I very much recommend that y'all take off the nostalgia goggles and see what this really is.

But anyways, as I've seen between the toys and the movie images, there is a noticeable difference and I've seen folk change their tune when they see movie images after the shoddy toy images as it is kinda non-surprising at those forums that Bandai kinda sucks.

Anyone else here still somewhat hopeful that the movie doesn't turn out bad?
    Last edited by Scorpion1411; 12-23-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I have a good Amount to Say on the Power Rangers Franchise being a Fan since my Childhood; BUT Until Then Enjoy this Funny Crossover Video that is just Fun and Cool!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion1411 View Post
    Hello everyone, although I'm still fairly new around this site, I do very much frequent other forums like Power Ranger specialty forums like Rangerboard etc where we do talk about this quite a bit. However though, the reaction to this iteration of Goldar isn't as strong there and there's a reason for that(at least to my understanding) and not everyone has written off the movie prematurely. You see, you gotta remember that this movie is adapting itself from a franchise that is known and famous for its B-Grade movie monster villains that are if not more horrifically designed to the point where some folk do point and laugh. There's a reason why that was so when a good number of us were children. I mean for god sake, there was an episode where a killer handbag monster was a villain with like dental floss of doom or something as a weapon and that looked stupid as hell.

Despite a lot of things in the movie trying to make itself edgier than the TV show, they bring in one thing practically lifted from the TV show and that gets more ridiculed than anything. For some, I very much recommend that y'all take off the nostalgia goggles and see what this really is.

But anyways, as I've seen between the toys and the movie images, there is a noticeable difference and I've seen folk change their tune when they see movie images after the shoddy toy images as it is kinda non-surprising at those forums that Bandai kinda sucks.

Anyone else here still somewhat hopeful that the movie doesn't turn out bad?
    I try not to talk about any other boards specifically if possible, but if it's anything like Ranger fanboys defending the huge travesty and serious missed opportunities that was Super Megaforce, then no thanks (filming or budget or sentai footage limitations or not, it failed on every level as an anniversary gimmick).

I used to be a part of Rangerboard but left a long time ago (when Ray was still the owner) when a huge number of posters -- including Ray himself -- used a ton of mental gymnastics to argue that using the word "gay" to mean "stupid" was somehow not a homophobic slur. But that they did it to something so indefensible showed that they were also going to use a whole number of mental gymnastics to defend virtually anything in the show to the point where constructive criticism and actual in-depth reviews were close to forbidden, and that the franchise could do no wrong. Nah-uh, no thanks.

If the movie comes out and it's good, it's probably not going to be because of the visuals. In order for the movie to overcome its challenges, the script, direction, and acting would have to be vibrant, exciting, full of life, and dynamic, which is everything these designs aren't. No one's expecting a carbon copy facelift from the show, but no one wants monochrome suits drawn on construction paper, either. And if the visuals aren't vital to the movie, then there was no reason to make this into a Power Rangers movie in the first place, since the visuals are one of the major, major hallmarks for PR/Super Sentai. It'd be Pacific Rim with less imaginative designs.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-23-2016 at 03:48 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I try not to talk about any other boards specifically if possible, but if it's anything like Ranger fanboys defending the huge travesty and serious missed opportunities that was Super Megaforce, then no thanks (filming or budget or sentai footage limitations or not, it failed on every level as an anniversary gimmick).

I used to be a part of Rangerboard but left a long time ago (when Ray was still the owner) when a huge number of posters -- including Ray himself -- used a ton of mental gymnastics to argue that using the word "gay" to mean "stupid" was somehow not a homophobic slur. But that they did it to something so indefensible showed that they were also going to use a whole number of mental gymnastics to defend virtually anything in the show to the point where constructive criticism and actual in-depth reviews were close to forbidden, and that the franchise could do no wrong. Nah-uh, no thanks.

If the movie comes out and it's good, it's probably not going to be because of the visuals. In order for the movie to overcome its challenges, the script, direction, and acting would have to be vibrant, exciting, full of life, and dynamic, which is everything these designs aren't. No one's expecting a carbon copy facelift from the show, but no one wants monochrome suits drawn on construction paper, either. And if the visuals aren't vital to the movie, then there was no reason to make this into a Power Rangers movie in the first place, since the visuals are one of the major, major hallmarks for PR/Super Sentai. It'd be Pacific Rim with less imaginative designs.
    Nobody's defending Super Megaforce I can tell you that. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. And I don't think we've seen enough of the movie to really make that conclusion either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

This. All of it.

I used to be on RB years ago, for the shortest time. I lurk every so often because since they are so hyper focused on anything PR they usually get news first and usually some good all around info. I don't know what it is, but some ranger focus forums believe in PR infallibility, to almost a hive mind extent.

Anyways, these designs don't suck because they delineate from the original. They suck because they just plainly are not good designs. The pre-film promotion as a whole is just pretty off.

All-New Member

I was a little skeptical at first and then I saw set photos and instantly thought "This is Power Rangers."

Again, I'm going to wait for the movie and legitimate reviews before making judgement. If DC films has taught me anything is that you can have pretty and faithful simple costumes but still be rotten with audiences because of story, characters and action.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

With what I remember Watching of the Season Operation Overdrive, which was the Series Celebration Anniversary Team of 15 years give or take, the Episode I remember the Most was the crossover Anniversary Episode and This Amazing Fight Scene!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I remember that team-up as well, but Wild Force's Forever Red team-up stomps all over-drives

I've generally liked the teamups. Though being familiar with Sentai, I wish we got a SPD/Mystic Force crossover (that Piggy cameo doesn't exactly count, at least not to me :P ). And a full-on RPM/Samurai crossover (as in the whole team and unmasked) though I have to admit what we did get was still pretty enjoyable.

I think the suits would be better if they had more of the Ranger's motif incorporated into it. Kind of like the Red Ranger's.

Same goes for the Zords.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I'm just gonna make my Power Rangers faves known since I don't think I've done that yet in this thread:

Of course nothing compares to the original team, in my opinion. But I think I would rank Jungle Fury as the next best series. I loved that series and I seriously didn't expect to. I loved the action, the villains and the story. So sad nothing has come close to being that good since. I like the team from Dino Charge. The Green Ranger is pretty much unworthy of that color though. Totally forgettable character on the show. Sledge was such a lame villain and I don't care much for Heckyl either.

As for the movie, I'm excited to see it. I hope it's good and I hope it does well.

Mighty Morphin is a default fave for me, but my heart knows it wasn't the best. I feel like PR found it's identity with Zeo, Began an awesome era with In Space as well as better world building and scope, and Ninja Storm had arguably the best cast in PR history. NS had really solid acting and the most relatable human characters. I can honestly say the same about Dino Thunder, they come real close.

I'm not feeling Neo Saban, but they are improving.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Mighty Morphin is a default fave for me, but my heart knows it wasn't the best. I feel like PR found it's identity with Zeo, Began an awesome era with In Space as well as better world building and scope, and Ninja Storm had arguably the best cast in PR history. NS had really solid acting and the most relatable human characters. I can honestly say the same about Dino Thunder, they come real close.

I'm not feeling Neo Saban, but they are improving.
    Yeah me neither. Samurai and Megaforce were pretty shit even by PR standards. Dino Charge started off great then the finale killed it. Overall if the movie sucks then they should just give the rights back to Disney or sell them off to someone else. I wouldn't mind it if Warner Bros got it. That JL/MMPR crossover's looking pretty good and I wouldn't mind if they made an animated movie from that like I heard a rumour of Batman/TMNT.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion1411 View Post
    Yeah me neither. Samurai and Megaforce were pretty shit even by PR standards. Dino Charge started off great then the finale killed it. Overall if the movie sucks then they should just give the rights back to Disney or sell them off to someone else. I wouldn't mind it if Warner Bros got it. That JL/MMPR crossover's looking pretty good and I wouldn't mind if they made an animated movie from that like I heard a rumour of Batman/TMNT.
    That's is what blew my mind. You can play them late at night on Adult Swim and it probably would fit right in, in a cringy surreal way, you know? lol

Dino Charge tries to copy the most basic of TV tropes, but fails. The characters are weak, but they have somewhat better actors and more of it's own identity overall. Disney would beat it down into submission again I feel. I'm only finally getting used to seeing PR as a comic, because it is dealt with respect and not talking down to its audience. The thought of animation always makes me think of it as a parody. I can't really explain it but something about PR being animated seems jarring and uncomfortably surreal. As if the live action characters got turned into animated characters and were stuck like that. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rToz3vDGR9U

Ninja Steel looks like the same ole ish they just had with a power swap, but we'll see.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    With what I remember Watching of the Season Operation Overdrive, which was the Series Celebration Anniversary Team of 15 years give or take, the Episode I remember the Most was the crossover Anniversary Episode and This Amazing Fight Scene!

God recalling Overdrive gives me migraines...and hives...hated that season.

I am holding out hope for a good movie, but at first glance I am hating the Zords and the Megazord. Haaaaaaaaaaaaate. Of course we have only seen the toys so who knows how they will look rendered in CG on the big screen, but I'm not holding out hope. I have civilian super powers. Always have.

Not digging a Jason/Kim ship only because I am afraid we will get some love triangle crap as one of the catalyst for Tommy's Green Ranger emergence in the sequel.