Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I am one of those casual fan of the Power Rangers when it came out at my country. I was already out of the age demographic, but when I was younger I absolutely loved the original Japanese super sentai series (Goggle 5 anyone?). So when I saw an Americanized version of super sentai, I was intrigued, and watched it when it was on. It was entertaining when it was on, but since I was growing out of it, I didn't follow it religiously.
    That being said, I absolutely love this movie. Much kudos to the casting department who I think absolutely nailed every Ranger casting. They are easily likeable, and the chemistry between the five was great. That is really important as their chemistry was the main foundation of this movie. And they managed to portray the characters with distinct personality, which I think was not really the case in the original series. Billy being the heart of PR was never truer than the way RJ Cyler portrays him.
    I didn't expect much, but I came out of the theatre pleasantly impressed with the movie. Can't wait what they have in store for the sequel

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    No, when I put in the link, it'll automatically get reformatted in the post. It's annoying.

If you want to google, Eric Ravensraft The New Blue Ranger Is Perfect.

It is an *excellent* read, I assure you.
    Let me try this one
    edit:

I can't post the link either

And yes it's a great read

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I started thinking a bit about it -- by virtue of how the story was set up, Zack and Trini were never contenders for being the heart of the Rangers because they're separate from the initial three (it's not a criticism. That's just the structure at work). Though the story sorta kinda emphasized Jason (and Jason was MY ranger in the show), I'm pleasantly surprised that the movie itself wasn't so Red-focused, especially considering how much PR and Sentai often go out of their way to make their seasons about the Red Ranger. Kimberly was always nice and level headed, but Billy being a uniting and driving force of the team meant he had to carry a lot of the movie, and he did it very well.
    The Red Ranger being a spot light stealer didn't really start until Zeo with Tommy and that was more because he'd already gotten a ton of focus in MMPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Red Ranger being a spot light stealer didn't really start until Zeo with Tommy and that was more because he'd already gotten a ton of focus in MMPR.
    Red definitely was an emphasis in Zyuranger though, with a good chunk of the drama being about him, and so the footage had to match. It had been like that since Goranger, really, but there was more emphasis on red in Ohranger than Zyuranger by virtue of their Red being a military leader. It's a practice on both sides of the pond.

But even then, at least for PR, even if Red got the bulk of emphasis, it wasn't that bad until, say, Mystic Force when Sentai episodes meant for other rangers were edited to become Red-focused. After that, more and more seasons became more dominated by Red's stories. And it became much more pronounced with these shorter Nickelodeon seasons. Even though they always emphasiezed Red, Sentai itself seemed to have a return of overemphasis to fairly recently (Kyoryuger on), after years of being more even about it.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-28-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

I read that Blue Ranger article. Really awesome.

Though I don't know if I at least fully agree with it on the whole "Billy in the classic show always was treated as an outsider" like the article's writer puts it.

He was different than the others being the brain to everyone else's brawn and that led to a lot of confusion at times but an outsider? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I read that Blue Ranger article. Really awesome.

Though I don't know if I at least fully agree with it on the whole "Billy in the classic show always was treated as an outsider" like the article's writer puts it.

He was different than the others being the brain to everyone else's brawn and that led to a lot of confusion at times but an outsider? Nah.
    There were a couple episodes where Billy didn't feel up to snuff because he was the only non-fighter of the group, though he started training with the gang because they didn't see him as an outsider.

In any case, the writer could be coming from the perspective of how Billy felt rather than how the show was portrayed, and even then, it's not like the show dwelled upon it any more than, say, Trini's spirituality (which was there but rarely mentioned) or Zack trying too hard with girls (which only happened a couple times, and always as humor).

Then there's the occasional episode where each and every one on the team (including the S2 replacements) felt like they didn't belong or weren't pulling their weight fairly. Maybe because the writer felt that connection with Billy from the start that he empathized more with those types of Billy episodes than the other cast.

There is a new Power Rangers comic coming out this week (Wednesday) that is set in the movie universe that takes place where the movie left off. I think it's called Power Rangers AfterShock might be worth picking up for those that are interested.

Astonishing Member

Yep. I'm looking forward to trying to get it.

Amazing Member

Been reading the reviews that hate it. It seems the main complaint is that they expect this movie to played it campy and have lots of actions, like the original series. They don't like that it took them so long to morph and fight with the Zords. The thing is, they would probably complained if this new movie gave all that and in turns, give the 5 leads very little character development.

I thought that the struggle and the relationships between the five is the reason why the movie works. By the time they put on the armor, you care enough about them to root for them. Actions would be meaningless if we can't root for the protagonists, and would not be as enjoyable

The amount of time spent with these super heroes before the action is actually unheard of to me, and incredibly impressive. I do think they could have sprinkled in an earlier scenes with the suits and/or fight scenes for more balance, but hopefully they can learn from that next time around.

I just think the action there was, was very weak and tried to let the cgi do too much of the work as opposed to having creative fight choreo. Goldar was also even more unimpressive than I thought he would be.

There was also plenty of camp. Between Rita hamming it up to Alpha and the natural human comedy that came from the rangers' interaction with each other. They just weren't blatantly telling jokes or puns...until their fight with the putties, where it felt just a campy as the orignal series which actually wasn't a good thing to me.
    Last edited by Sain; 03-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

someone said to me that this movie is really good so why so bad reviews? i cant undertand
    we can be heroes, just for one day

BANNED

Was it my idea or this new Zordon reassembled comic book post Claremont Professor X?
    Bitter, demanding and a bit of manipulative.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Was it my idea or this new Zordon reassembled comic book post Claremont Professor X?
    Bitter, demanding and a bit of manipulative.
    I...suppose. I didn't even think of Prof. X but I can see that. I just saw it as a more realistic take on Zordon. I mean he technically had a character arc something I never would have expected from old school Zordon who was something of a cipher.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    someone said to me that this movie is really good so why so bad reviews? i cant undertand
    It's not a movie that critics will like. But if you love Power Rangers as a kid, I think you gonna love this one. The movie got heart

Quote Originally Posted by Adam West View Post
    Been reading the reviews that hate it. It seems the main complaint is that they expect this movie to played it campy and have lots of actions, like the original series. They don't like that it took them so long to morph and fight with the Zords. The thing is, they would probably complained if this new movie gave all that and in turns, give the 5 leads very little character development.

I thought that the struggle and the relationships between the five is the reason why the movie works. By the time they put on the armor, you care enough about them to root for them. Actions would be meaningless if we can't root for the protagonists, and would not be as enjoyable
    The same critics that bash this movie for actually taking the time to flesh out the characters and not just have the movie be filled with loads of action, camp, and little character development would be the same ones bashing the movie if it did have all those things. People that didn't like Power Rangers back in the 90's won't find much to like here in this movie, but for those who have open minds will maybe become fans (I know a few who are now because of this movie).