Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

You know what's really sad about Super Megaforce? Even taking aside the butchering and cannibalization of Gokaiger, it is still a terrible show.

I maintain that whether or not you watch a Sentai, or how much on PR show tries to copy a Sentai, it doesn't matter on how you view the show. Wild Force and Time Force were really copies from Gaoranger and Timeranger specifically, and yet both of those series turned out fine, with Time Force being regarded as one of the best and Wild Force getting a little more love as time passes. It's ultimately on what they do with their own version that counts.

The biggest problem with Megaforce overall is that they relied on Sentai too much without throwing in their own stuff. Or, at the very least, not having their original stuff make up for it. To compound matters Megaforce was done off of TWO Sentai. If they just stuck to either Goseiger or Gokaiger instead of sticking with both, then the series might at the very best be OK (Like Samurai).

Sure Megaforce might have made a mint money wise, and the actors themselves seem to be a nice bunch of kids from seeing them behind the scenes and at Power Morphicon or the like, but the season itself is just a complete and utter travesty, hampered down by the mindset of making extremely little effort. It's no wonder that people see Megaforce as the lowest it can go.

I remain cautiously optimistic with Dino Charge. They at least are doing one thing right by removing Jonathan Tzachor.

So let's have some fun with this: How would you guys have adapted Megaforce and...let's call the pirate themed season PR Pirate Armada.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

From gokaiger , plenty of cool moments from the series although i got a great kick from watching all the old megazords come out to fight the final battle in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So let's have some fun with this: How would you guys have adapted Megaforce and...let's call the pirate themed season PR Pirate Armada.
    I'm going to skip ahead to Super Megaforce. Everyone's in agreement that Goseiger and Gokaiger should have been two separate, unrelated seasons, after all. For Pirate Armada, there's nothing inherently wrong with the basic concept of going back to five human teens a la MMPR. Heck, that would make more sense than Megaforce, since Pirate Armada's supposed to be the tribute season.

So we have five kids recruited by an associate of Zordon (who isn't Gosei, by the way). But the show's called Pirate Armada and has a pirate theme; there's no need to beat around the bush, the target audience has probably seen Pirates of the Caribbean, so have the mentor explain that some evil force stole the Ranger powers, but the mentor managed to steal them back, hence piracy. Now it's up to the Rangers to not only defend the Earth (and defend the Power Rangers as a whole!) from the evil empire, but also to unlock the greater powers that could restore everyone in the past.

But here's the thing about a nostalgia season -- make them celebrate the legacy. That's the whole point of Gokaiger, the whole point of the throwback toys, the whole point of it being an anniversary season. Even if we were to stick to the strange 20 episode season, that still leaves one tribute episode per team. We'd proceed as normal; each team has some important lesson to impart on our newbies to guide them along. It'd be nice to have returning actors, but even if that weren't the case, I should think that each team has enough of a story to mine from it. Time Force would have time travel; Wild Force is environmentalism. SPD is law and order, Samurai about discipline, Overdrive about exploration, etc. But then let's also go full out with the action: a minimum of three team morphs per episode so that each team gets plenty of screen time, in addition to their tribute episodes.

And the overall arc? Make it about the Ranger legacy. Make the season into an analogy as to why the franchise has lasted so long. Get a little sentimental, that's fine. Make the bad guys selfish. Throw in some rivalries between good and bad guys for the sake of consistent story options. Build up to the impending war that restores the legendary Rangers once again. But the nice thing about making it all about the Ranger legacy is that it teaches kids how to become interested in history. They soak up back stories and spinoffs and continuity as they learn to think more broadly. And for adults, that's an opportunity for fan-pandering nostalgia. Two birds, one stone!

The final few episodes would wrap up those small overreaching arcs with the Rangers' rivals. The final battle of the war would have the mentor give the powers back to the legendary rangers for an all out battle, lead by Pirate Armada; but when the Emperor comes down to do battle himself, the MMPR lead the other rangers to hold off the vast army and order the Pirate Armada to complete their destinies by fighting the Emperor himself. And it turns out that Pirate Armada can still summon older copies, albeit slightly weaker versions, because they had the pirated copies all along.

Of course, it would be cool to have returning Rangers come back for guest spots. But make them meaningful supporting roles; judging from how most of the returning vets didn't even have speaking lines for the final episode, I now get a much better idea of what other veterans were complaining about, like Karan Ashley and Austin St. John, about how the roles offered just weren't worth the trip overseas. Johnny Yong Bosch had every right to complain, seeing as how he had a rather sizable and important role during the last anniversary. If you're going to the effort of bringing back veteran rangers, make it worth something, and worth bringing back. Otherwise, what's the point other than glorified lip service?

--

On a lesser note, one of the things that disappoints me the most about Super Megaforce is the lack of research. Clearly that's the Minizord from Ninja Storm, which was adapted to be compatible with Super Megaforce's powers. That finisher is from SPD, but is called a generic Super Megaforce finisher. Those are the Mega Winger's, um, wings on Silver's zord, but isn't given a name. For that matter, the show completely forgets that Silver's megazord is powered up by Dino Thunder, not the Q-Rex zord. Whoever was in charge of naming these toys just couldn't be bothered to simply check the Wiki; and previous reunion shows went to great lengths to reference things from 10, 15 years before them.

And for the love of god, no pre-Zyu teams. The argument that it was to save money went right out the window when they filmed American fight scenes with those suits.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-09-2014 at 02:17 AM.

I lost interest in PR a while back, but the last season I watched was Dino Thunder. Not the best, but I really liked Mesogog, who's definitely one of the better PR villains. He's deadly serious, creepy as heck, and has some pretty awesome psionic powers. I also like how he added Lothor to his "collection"

Extraordinary Member

I'd have gone with a knight motif for Megaforce.

For the Gokaiger adapt, i'd have had a group of pirates (With Gokaiger duds) show up in the first episode, use a special Mcguffin to create copies of the Megaforce powers (And show off that they've stolen powers from several other ranger teams) causing a large battle. During the course of this, the actual Megaforce powers are destroyed, causing the Megaforce rangers to Steal the pirate's powers to defend the earth with

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

A cute Animaniacs parody that's actually pretty accurate. But it really bugs me that, for some reason, I think from Ninja Storm to present, PR has been obsessed with using the same sound effects as "Rita's" staff for everything: energy blasts (misc), morphs (Dino Thunder), even if the Rangers are landing from a jump (Super Megaforce). It's a sound effect used in the Simpsons and in dollar store ray gun toys for kids!
    Awesome! I love them! :3

To the Power rangers I say Go, Go.

Something interesting to read! The what-could-have-been adaptation of Go-Busters, Power Rangers Cyber Corps:
    http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/7...tions-and-lost
    http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/7...wer-rangers-21

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Something interesting to read! The what-could-have-been adaptation of Go-Busters, Power Rangers Cyber Corps:
    http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/7...tions-and-lost
    http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/7...wer-rangers-21
    Too bad. That sounded awesome.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I was bored with Go-Busters, but that doesn't mean it would've been a bad PR season. Sometimes PR improves upon the Sentai (I'll take Lightspeed Rescue over GoGoV any day. Same with RPM over Go-onger). I think the core concept of the show would've been refreshing, and the costumes would definitely be different. Alas, what could've been...

Frankly, I would've gone with Power Rangers: Special Ops or something like that because of the technospy themes, but that's just me.

Is tommy coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyD View Post
    Is tommy coming back?
    No word yet, but there's a persistent rumor that Austin St. John would return to mentor the Dino Charge team. And if true and if they stick relatively close to the sentai, it could mean that:

spoilers:
    Jason becomes one of the extra rangers.

But then again, many of the supporting characters were or became rangers, or took the mantle from previous bearers, for a total of 14 on the team during the course of the show: 6 main rangers and then 8 auxiliary rangers.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PennyD View Post
    Is tommy coming back?
    he is in super megaforce, as the green ranger

Alright, so the Super Megaforce finale aired.

Par the course of the show, how can the finale be summed up?