Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    While they're definitely more based in Japanese superhero tropes than American ones, it's funny how there are people who don't consider the Power Rangers to be superheroes.

Is it because they don't fight "normal" criminals or because they didn't originate from comic books?
    That's an odd sentiment considering the number of superheroes that don't come from comics, like Danny Phantom and He-Man.

As for fighting normal criminals, they're still fighting supervillains, and SPD fought petty (alien) thieves. Point of note, the Yellow Ninja Storm Ranger once morphed to simply stop a robbery, the sight of a lone power ranger being enough to deter the criminals and save the day, no fighting necessary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    One thing I always heard though is SPD went overboard with their budget, mostly (or entirely) thanks to making Sam a ball of light, and that's why we never got the Mystic Force crossover. Not sure if that's true, but looking at the Sentai of the crossover I really wanted to see that, especially Koragg vs Doggie Kruger.
    Considering how they made their own giant CGI villain with a Zord fight, I can believe that.

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sam wasn't the cause, he was a consequence. They did go over budget, and it meant they couldn't afford another live actor when the time came to adapt DekaBreak. Hence why Omega Ranger was just a ball of light instead of appearing unmorphed. It meant they only needed a voice actor, which is cheaper.
    The voice of Sam was already in the Power Ranger universe-he work on Ninja Storm for an episode.

We did get to see an adult Sam we just don't know who played him.

It's partially sexism, partially budget.

They didn't want to produce too many bikes for the season, so they made sure that two of the male characters got them.
    If all they are doing is borrowing stuff from Japan show-why would that be an issue? If that source material did not have them on bikes why would it be an issue?

Still wondering why they did 't use Dairanger since they paid for all that stuff. At least we get to see the show on tubi tv now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If all they are doing is borrowing stuff from Japan show-why would that be an issue? If that source material did not have them on bikes why would it be an issue?
    Power Rangers never just borrows from Sentai; they often make their own items too. They're more likely to do it if there's a toy they can sell.

The original Dekaranger vehicles were more focused on practicality then "coolness", so the American developers decided that they would make their own bikes that they could sell.

Still wondering why they did 't use Dairanger since they paid for all that stuff. At least we get to see the show on tubi tv now.
    The reason is because the Zyuranger suits are too iconic. It's like how Superman always goes back to red underpants. No matter how cool the Dairanger suits are, it would risk alienating the viewers because of how different they are. They're only more appealing now because we already had a timeline where Saban didn't change the suits, so now we're wondering "what if?".

It didn't help that the Dairangers' fighting style and weapons were very different from the Zyurangers'. The dissonance between the two shows would be even more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Kalish kept adding stuff, that's why they kept going over budget. It just caught up with him during SPD apparently.

My theory on that was Saban wanted to use the Zyuranger suits as long as possible, mostly out of brand recognition, and didn't take a chance till the cast started changing substantially. Otherwise he would have kept using the monsters and not the suits (except maybe the "extra" Ranger like the KibaRanger) from subsequent seasons.

That's my theory and if someone has info to the contrary I'm sure they'll say so, but once the "band" started breaking up he probably figured brand recognition was moot.

Astonishing Member

You know, I have a new appreciation for "Calling Your Attacks". It's much more preferable to the characters constantly hiyah-ing and throwing out puns.

You know, I have a new appreciation for "Calling Your Attacks". It's much more preferable to the characters constantly hiyah-ing and throwing out puns.
    Good point.

Fight scenes would become even more stylized, but I really wish this happened in more mainstream superhero media, like the MCU. Is it realistic? No. Is it enjoyable? HECK YEAH. I mean, Doctor Strange already has to do that in the comics for spell recitation, and one reason why X-Men TAS Storm is so memorable was because she would use even more verbose grandeur just simply calling out attacks.

"Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!" -- Dr. Strange vs. Thanos, Infinity War

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Fight scenes would become even more stylized, but I really wish this happened in more mainstream superhero media, like the MCU. Is it realistic? No. Is it enjoyable? HECK YEAH. I mean, Doctor Strange already has to do that in the comics for spell recitation, and one reason why X-Men TAS Storm is so memorable was because she would use even more verbose grandeur just simply calling out attacks.

"Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!" -- Dr. Strange vs. Thanos, Infinity War
    "Don't call out your attacks! That's tactically inadvisable."

"Tactically Inadvisable Flying Double Dragon Spinning Punch!

"What? Why is time froz-"

*BLAMO*

Hehe ...

There was also that whole Spidey magic scene in Endgame that was pretty funny.

"Magic!"

"More MAGIC!"

"... magic with a kick!"
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-16-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Most of Power Rangers seasons (the only exceptions are MMPR, Ninja Steel and Beast Morphers) are leaving Netflix by the end of the month.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PwrRngrSi...49423778430977

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most of Power Rangers seasons (the only exceptions are MMPR, Ninja Steel and Beast Morphers) are leaving Netflix by the end of the month.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PwrRngrSi...49423778430977
    It's really annoying how MMPR seems to be exempt from the purge.

Spectacular Member

Bummer, one of these days I would have gotten around to watching all of it. I do have the original series on dvd from when it was released region 2 in Germany, but not the same

The Tragedy of Trakeena: Power Rangers' Overlooked Villainess by Disney Brain.