Default Trying to understand the difference between the Movie and Comic?

I'm going to see the Amazing Spider-Man 2 this weekend and I want to know what differences it has with what happens in the comics. I know that in the the Comics the Green Goblin kills Gwen. However the Green Goblin is going to be Harry in the movie Are there any other differences between the movie and the comic I should know about?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-30-2014 at 04:49 PM.

This is going to be convoluted.

Essentially, there are two main versions of Spider-Man. The original Spider-Man was introduced in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1962, and his stories continue in Amazing Spider-Man.

Marvel also created a new Ultimate Spider-Man universe in 2000. That book also continues.

The movies borrowed from both universes. The ultimate books had a younger Captain Stacy, and the mystery of Peter's parents is similar to the story in that book.

A brief list of differences between the series...
    - In the classic comic, Peter didn't go to high school with Gwen Stacy. He didn't meet her until college.
    - He also didn't meet Harry Osborn until he went to college.
    - His parents were revealed to be agents of SHIELD, so that was the explanation for their death.
    - Norman Osborn was the Green Goblin.
    - Harry Osborn became the Green Goblin after Norman Osborn died fighting Spider-Man. This was shortly after Norman killed Gwen.
    - He got a job at the Daily Bugle pretty early.
    - Max Dillon AKA Electro was more of a blue-collar technician, than a dork.
    - Gwen Stacy never learned Peter's identity in the classic comics.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-30-2014 at 04:51 PM.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pipideed View Post
    I'm going to see the Amazing Spider-Man 2 this weekend and I want to know what differences it has with what happens in the comics. I know that in the the Comics the Green Goblin kills Gwen. However the Green Goblin is going to be Harry in the movie. Are there any other differences between the movie and the comic I should know about?
    Umm, is this a movie spoiler? It hasn't shown in the US yet.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-30-2014 at 04:50 PM.

A potential spoiler has been edited out of two posts. Let's keep in mind that many of the people would prefer to know as little as possible before they see the film.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A potential spoiler has been edited out of two posts. Let's keep in mind that many of the people would prefer to know as little as possible before they see the film.
    Thanks. I didn't meant to spoil anyone; I was trying to point out the spoiler.... but now I've been spoiled.

Hey Pipideed, another difference between the comic and movie is that Rhino is a powered guy in a suit in the comic, while in the movie he appears to be a normal guy in a machine. The comic version is superior!

While "classic" Peter's parents were essentially agents of SHIELD, "Ultimate" Peter's biological parents were scientists. Peter's biological father, Richard, even created the Ultimate version of Venom (with Ultimate Eddie Brock's father). Richard wanted to use this to save people but his bosses wanted to turn it into a weapon. Given that they've already gone with Ultimate Peter's background for his biological parents, it wouldn't surprise me if they took this from the Ultimate comics as well. And it would differentiate them from the Raimi movies even more.

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    Thanks. I didn't meant to spoil anyone; I was trying to point out the spoiler.... but now I've been spoiled.

Hey Pipideed, another difference between the comic and movie is that Rhino is a powered guy in a suit in the comic, while in the movie he appears to be a normal guy in a machine. The comic version is superior!
    I have no idea whether the spoiler was accurate or just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. And please don't tell me if it's true.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This might be a totally useless answer, but I'm going to assume that the OP is new to comics. Here's the thing: the movie is going to be completely different from the comics. The movie draws from over fifty years worth of characterizations and plots to create a two hour-long story. Short of the characters' names, you can pretty much rest assured that it's all going to be at least slightly different.

Since you asked specifically about the Green Goblin, here's the deal with that. Norman Osborn was the original Green Goblin. He discovered Spider-Man's secret identity and eventually murdered his girlfriend, Gwen Stacy. In the battle immediately following Gwen's death, Norman also died. Harry Osborn, Norman's son, watched from the shadows as his father died and removed his Green Goblin costume, absolving his father from public guilt. Harry battled with drugs and insanity, but he eventually emerged as the second Green Goblin. He and his former best friend, Peter Parker, dueled famously until Harry's own death in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    And please don't tell me if it's true.
    It's all true. All of it.

Nichols is my middle name...

Fantastic Member

I'm seeing the movie tomorrow night. It doesn't seem like it's going to be too different from the comics, minus Jamie's blueness...