• OUTCAST #5

2 5.41%
  • WALKING DEAD #134

1 2.70%
  • WYTCHES #2

8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Nov 12/14 - Fade Out #3, Drifter #1, Alex + Ada #10, Wytches #2

No poll last week but it appears the title that got the most buzz was Tooth and Claw #1, got rave reviews all over the internet. Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey's sprawling fantasy may be the closest thing we have to a new Saga phenomenon. Make sure you pick it up if you haven't already. I don't think we had one negative review last week on our board, which is stunning when you think about it.

Big week for Image and our poll is back . Image's hottest new series returns with Wytches #2, Fade Out #3, and Copperhead #3. New this week is Ivan Brandon and Nic Klein's futuristic space western Drifter #1.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Ivan Brandon (A) Nic Klein (CA) Esad Ribic
    FROM THE CREATORS OF VIKING: Writer IVAN BRANDON (Wolverine, Men of War) and artist NIC KLEIN (Captain America, Thor) reunite to bring you a sci-fi ONGOING SERIES joining the dark revenge themes of Unforgiven with the mind-bending sci-fi universe-building of Dune.

In its frantic rush to survive itself, mankind has spread across the universe, colonizing and strip-mining countless planets. Abram Pollux barely survives a crash landing on Ouro, a lawless backwater world where life is cheap. What starts as a struggle for survival quickly becomes a journey to the very edges of what it means to be human.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

In a battle between newly launched space westerns, I'm giving the nod to Drifter #1 over Copperhead #3. The art in Drifter is really easy on the eyes. Both issues were solid.

Wytches for sure! This is one of two titles i get excited for each month. If you like this book, check out Coffin Hill by Vertigo!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    Wytches for sure! This is one of two titles i get excited for each month. If you like this book, check out Coffin Hill by Vertigo!
    Oh I read and review that book every month. Wasn't too hot about it this month though sadly....

Anyhow, a pretty solid week for my Indie output. Both Image books I read were great and my other Indie books I read weren't bad either! Here's how it looked:

The Kitchen #1
    Wytches #2
    Outcast #5
    Coffin Hill #13

Wytches was the best book from Image for me, but the best Indie and so far, best book I read this week goes to the mini-series from Vertigo, The Kitchen. So good. You gotta read this book people. It needs attention and love.

I gave Wytches another shot after not being impressed with the first issue, and I still don't see what everyone thinks is so great. Jock and Hollingsworth are two of my favorites in comics, while Snyder is not. I think it looks great, and that page of the woods was great, but outside of that, I just can't get into Snyder's work, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh I read and review that book every month. Wasn't too hot about it this month though sadly....

Anyhow, a pretty solid week for my Indie output. Both Image books I read were great and my other Indie books I read weren't bad either! Here's how it looked:

The Kitchen #1
    Wytches #2
    Outcast #5
    Coffin Hill #13

Wytches was the best book from Image for me, but the best Indie and so far, best book I read this week goes to the mini-series from Vertigo, The Kitchen. So good. You gotta read this book people. It needs attention and love.
    Ohhhhhhh, the Kitchen looks so good. I haven't heard of this but looks like something I would really love, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wish there was some sort of weekly thread in the indies forum like this. I feel like I can keep up with Image and have a pulse on what's trending. But for the indies I feel like I miss a lot of great titles because I didn't know they were out that week. There's just so many titles and if no one is talking about them it's easy to miss.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Ohhhhhhh, the Kitchen looks so good. I haven't heard of this but looks like something I would really love, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wish there was some sort of weekly thread in the indies forum like this. I feel like I can keep up with Image and have a pulse on what's trending. But for the indies I feel like I miss a lot of great titles because I didn't know they were out that week. There's just so many titles and if no one is talking about them it's easy to miss.
    No problem and I agree the last bit. If no one is talking about certain books, people tend to miss them. That's why I wanted to make sure I reviewed and got the word out about this book. Vertigo has a lot of good books, especially with some of their mini-series, but they always seem to go under the radar!

BANNED

Vertigo needs a forum...

The "independent" catch-all needs some work. Hellboy related previews end up in there, despite Hellboy having its own forum. It's pretty messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The "independent" catch-all needs some work. Hellboy related previews end up in there, despite Hellboy having its own forum. It's pretty messy.
    I feel the independent forum is broke to be honest. Sometimes CBR spams like 20+ threads a day with their reviews and previews that it's just so messy. Discussion threads that were recently created would get bumped to the next pages. Very difficult to keep up as it's just too cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I feel the independent forum is broke to be honest. Sometimes CBR spams like 20+ threads a day with their reviews and previews that it's just so messy. Discussion threads that were recently created would get bumped to the next pages. Very difficult to keep up as it's just too cluttered.
    They've made some progress lately, but yes agreed it's a little broken by nature. All those CBR reviews, previews, articles etc. should perhaps just go into their own forum. But then that would be very cumbersome to navigate if you're not starting from the article... As it is, discussion gets somewhat stifled unfortunately. For a while they had like 15 or more sticky threads up so you had to scroll the whole page before even seeing new ones. That could just be me; ironically I always scroll past stickies immediately. They've cut down the amount of stickies recently though which I see as progress.

Maybe we could do like a sort of 'end of year' thread here next month. Like what were everyone's favourite series from Image, which did everyone like beyond Image? Are any superheroes still worth it (the answer is yes because we're getting Squirrel Girl soon), etc.It could be like the Oscars but for us forum-dweebs!
    It's allowed to talk of other publishers here right? I don't get the impression we wanna be too rigidly separated?

In general the whole indie vs. corporate is an outdated notion. IDW's output is like 99% adapations and continuations of existing franchises. Similarly goes for Dynamite, Dark Horse and Boom!, but we still call them indie just because Disney doesn't own them or whatever. Creator-owned vs. company-owned already makes more sense because now you can see differences within publishers; and suddenly Icon and Vertigo (to a degree) can exist as creator-owned publishers. Though there's variations here too obviously, Boom! in particular is kinda weird. Like they do a lot of creator-owned stuff, like through Boom!Box recently, but then the copywright will still be held by Boom? Idk I'm not a lawyer so maybe I just don't get it.

Anyway long story short: I voted for Alex+Ada because it's quietly creeping closer and closer to the top of my list of favourite series.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

So since neither of my shops decided to get Copperhead this week, I only read Fade Out. Another great issue and I had no qualms about voting for it. This book is rapidly becoming one of my most anticipated pulls.

No new Image for me this week. My pull was, in fact, tiny and cheap:

Avalon #1 (Modern military crashlands in proto-Camelot. Interesting so far, definitely getting the next one)
    Fight Like a Girl #2 (probably the last one I'll get; the fights are cartoony enough that there's just no sense of peril)
    The Deep: The Vanishing Island #1 (I'm SOOOO happy to see this book get a second series! It's just plain old fun, Saturday morning adventure)

Incredible Member

Loved Alex + Ada as always...wish I voted for it now. I went with the fade out though.

BANNED

read Drifter, Walking Dead and Wytches. all were good but Drifter was probably best.