Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Hadn't seen that interview. Thanks. I was referring to an older 2015 interview he did.
    For sure! Sounds like things progressed faster than he expected.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Agreein' with Dan 12456 that "Guessing the answer is wonder woman happened," and with CC008, "I don't care if I'm 70 when the last issues of this come out, I'm staying on for the long haul. When the issues come out, they come out. " So true, so true.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Is it just me or does it seem lately that whenever an excellent creator-owned book comes out, Marvel or DC swoops in and lines that creator up for something else that monopolizes their time? Rucka paused Black Magic for DC, Snyder paused Wytches for DC, and Liu even got pulled into a Star Wars series (but at least Monstress seems to be progressing along). Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem lately that whenever an excellent creator-owned book comes out, Marvel or DC swoops in and lines that creator up for something else that monopolizes their time? Rucka paused Black Magic for DC, Snyder paused Wytches for DC, and Liu even got pulled into a Star Wars series (but at least Monstress seems to be progressing along). Coincidence?
    I mean, maybe, but these people you mention had all previously worked under the Big Two right? Rucka did a Punisher run or two and had been eyeing Wonder Woman for a while, Snyder obviously had his big break with Batman which allowed something like Wytches to find an audience, and I think Liu did an X-Men title before.

For a while in fact I would argue it went the other way, with big-name talent like Fraction, Brubaker, DeConnick, Vaughan all leaving corporate comics to try their luck at Image.

So maybe it's more of a natural back-and-forth; it makes sense for the Big Two to snap up succesful indie creators from smaller publishers, and likewise it makes sense that those people will want to try stuff outside the licensed properties. The fact that they're pausing/dropping ambitious Image projects probably speaks more to the fact that Marvel/DC can offer steady pagerates whilst with Image it's much more of a gamble.

So yeah I would say it's a funny observation, but wouldn't read a giant conspiracy into it (yet! ).

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    I mean, maybe, but these people you mention had all previously worked under the Big Two right? Rucka did a Punisher run or two and had been eyeing Wonder Woman for a while, Snyder obviously had his big break with Batman which allowed something like Wytches to find an audience, and I think Liu did an X-Men title before.
    Yup. Rucka did a very well-regarded run on Wonder Woman previously; that's part of the reason DC courted him to come back for Rebirth. Plus Punisher, Wolverine, the most recent Cyclops ongoing, and some other bits and pieces for Marvel. And Liu did the X-23 ongoing and Northstar's wedding onward over in Astonishing X-Men. And you've got names like BKV and Kirkman and such who built up recognition with the Big Two until they didn't need to do company-owned work any more.

Like you said, it's cyclical. Lesser-known names build up a reputation on known properties, then go do their own thing for wider recognition, then can dally with the Big Two for better terms and bigger titles than they had previously or not at all if they want to go their own way.

Plus, creator owned work is great, but I get the feeling money is made writing for the Big 2. If an opportunity arises, I'd expect any writer to take those gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yup. Unless there's been a drastic change in his plans.

I don't care if I'm 70 when the last issues of this come out, I'm staying on for the long haul. When the issues come out, they come out.
    wow that's great. Just read the first 4 trades and love it. I don't care how long it will take. Quality is everything. Wish I would have the single issues

Will this ever come back?

These delays are why I don't get image books monthly anymore
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Will this ever come back?

These delays are why I don't get image books monthly anymore
    Agreed. While maybe not fair to some books that come out on a fairly consistent schedule, the many that don't have soured me on buying any of them in single issues anymore. Many I won't even get in trades or hardcovers until the entire series has finished. While Lazarus is probably my favorite current series and is still on my pull list, I'm not sure for how much longer. What have we got in the past year, 3 issues maybe 4 tops.

I'm so far behind on reading the series that the delay in them producing new issues might just be working in my favor.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've learned to appreciate the good stuff whenever it appears, and to supplement the waits between with other good stuff. So I welcome the return of Copperhead while awaiting the next Lazarus. Which I'll deeply enjoy when it next appears.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Agreed. While maybe not fair to some books that come out on a fairly consistent schedule, the many that don't have soured me on buying any of them in single issues anymore. Many I won't even get in trades or hardcovers until the entire series has finished. While Lazarus is probably my favorite current series and is still on my pull list, I'm not sure for how much longer. What have we got in the past year, 3 issues maybe 4 tops.
    This is where I am, too. Image's release inconsistency is driving me away. There are other publishers who offer great content and release regularly. Most of the books that I've been reading by Image over the past two years either stopped suddenly; went on a lengthy hiatus; were only released sporadically; or had the writer start up other projects and abandon the story. Yes, I can wait for trades, but it looks like Image doesn't really care about wrapping up stories, as long as there's a boatload of new-series #1 issues to float out there.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Today's issue was devastating. Not a fan of the letters column this week, but it's not surprising, either.

However, I really like how all the characters are moving around. Even though the action is great, flowing from character, it's the politics of Carlyle, and trying to see if there's a way for things to actually get better, that really intrigue and engage me about this series.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm just going to lie on the ground and whimper for a while after that one. Oh, my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I'm so far behind on reading the series that the delay in them producing new issues might just be working in my favor.
    +1 Bout to get caught up soon tho...
    #MagnetoWasRight