Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Is anyone else planning to pick up the Lazarus Sourcebook this week?
    Yup I'm getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Yup I'm getting it.
    Same here. Would be a sin not to.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

"What a silly question!"
    heh-- in other words, yup, I'm a'gettin' it, too!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Well it's included in my subscription on Comixology and since I don't want to cancel it and then renew it again tomorrow the answer is yes
    "This is me being reasonable"

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Right, so I picked up the first issue way back when it came out and I thought it was OK, no great shakes. But since then I've read a lot of positive stuff about the book and I like most everything I've read of Rucka. I've seen a run of issues 1-15 at my shop, and I know this is probably a dumb questions as it is in the Lazarus Appreciation Thread, but I should grab 'em right?

If you were to sell the book to me, how would you do it?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Rand's Other Fist View Post
    Right, so I picked up the first issue way back when it came out and I thought it was OK, no great shakes. But since then I've read a lot of positive stuff about the book and I like most everything I've read of Rucka. I've seen a run of issues 1-15 at my shop, and I know this is probably a dumb questions as it is in the Lazarus Appreciation Thread, but I should grab 'em right?

Absolutely. The thing about Lazarus is that it is a slow book, in terms of plot, world building and characterisation - but the trick is that it actually pays off. Fascinating characters, an extremely well thought out and lived in universe and a plot that isn't afraid to throw a few twists your way. The issues are the way to read it, as the backmatter is terrific, but it is actually best when read in large chunks, as you get a better appreciation for the magic that Rucka and Lark are spinning on a monthly basis.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I'd tell you I also didn't love the first issue or even the first arc either. But each arc after that has been great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I'd tell you I also didn't love the first issue or even the first arc either. But each arc after that has been great so far.
    I agree.. I debated dropping the book very early on but kept reading and I'm very happy I did.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

and...gosh I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet...it's got clear reverberations in its analogies to our present "oligarchical political system," extrapolating in the best socio-science-fiction way from present day society how our future might become, the super-rich families in total (shared) control, a large society of underlings, and the largest proportion of the population world-wide..."waste". Add to this that the story is told through well developed, genuine, characterization, and set as a major 'political' crisis unfolds, with secrets about to be unwillingly revealed, and all drawn really sharply and well. My only complaint is the drabness of coloring, a characteristic common in today's comics, and suitable here, but still, all too common in comics generally today; a small complaint--.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    and...gosh I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet...it's got clear reverberations in its analogies to our present "oligarchical political system," extrapolating in the best socio-science-fiction way from present day society how our future might become, the super-rich families in total (shared) control, a large society of underlings, and the largest proportion of the population world-wide..."waste". Add to this that the story is told through well developed, genuine, characterization, and set as a major 'political' crisis unfolds, with secrets about to be unwillingly revealed, and all drawn really sharply and well. My only complaint is the drabness of coloring, a characteristic common in today's comics, and suitable here, but still, all too common in comics generally today; a small complaint--.
    Yup, I totally forgot to mention the real-world parallels and alegories. They're a huge part of the book's appeal.

Don't agree about the colours here, though They're a perfect fit for this comic.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

I picked up my books yesterday and was pleased to see the Source book. I thought that it was amazing I really am impressed that Rucka and co. decided to issue it. Because I was really interested in seeing how the world functions. I am glad to see that there are more 'serfs' than was let on. Because there was no way that the family could function as such a small entity with their private army overseeing such an under class of waste.

What I found interesting was that:
    1. There are still functioning cities with a relative middle class (serfs)
    2. A great chunk of the population has been decimated

And yes things are ripe for a shake up. But I hope it happens organically, instead of some ham fisted 'down with the man'. Like plot. I hope that when the show is developed it goes to Netflix as opposed to HBO. HBO would just turn it into a GOT knock off.

Depends on your own personal tastes. If you like speculative sci-fi and you enjoy watching the news, if you are curious how the world really works then go for it. But if you're one of those collectors who only like comic books for the fights don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Is anyone else planning to pick up the Lazarus Sourcebook this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I can't wait for it. I love this book so much.
    +1

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight

Fantastic Member

I picked up the source book as well , I have enjoyed the series right from the beginning .

I'm up to date thanks to the two hardbacks, and am waiting impatiently for the next issue.

Have there ever been any indications on how long a run Lazarus will have?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    Have there ever been any indications on how long a run Lazarus will have?
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...sist-star-wars

100-150 issues.