Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    I think that's an early judgment. It certainly is a Republican party wet dream as far as the upper 1% capitalist families holding the power in the beginning. We just don't know how well they will fare in the upcoming stories yet.
    I am talking about the world as we find it. One hopes it doesn't stay that way. As one hopes the accumulation of wealth today doesn't keep going into the hands of the 1% and away from everyone else.
    In fact, if we look at where we are today, with the wealthy, those who can comfortably maintain a middle or upper middle-class lifestyle, and everyone else who ekes out a living and is on the verge of financial catastrophe if any major set back happens; we have a parallel to the Family, Serf, and Waste in Lazarus. Is there any question that much of our government are just vassals to the Corporate elite.

Fantastic Member

Democracy is mostly a popularity contest (sadly) and politicians are 100% dependent on the votes, so they have to do more or less anything to get said votes to get into office to get anything done. And that is the ideal, zero corruption utopic case where the politicians only seek to achieve what they honestly think is best for the nation and it's people. That is already a tough and thankless job. Now add in less-than-honest, selfish, arrogant, greedy, after-me-the-Great-Flood citizens and politicians, than you have the modern western world.

Democracy therefore is inherently a slow, inefficient and fragile system driven by the most common denominator, still wouldn't change it for any other system.
    Last edited by Platinius; 12-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Democracy is mostly a popularity contest (sadly) and politicians are 100% dependent on the votes, so they have to do more or less anything to get said votes to get into office to get anything done. And that is the ideal, zero corruption utopic case where the politicians only seek to achieve what they honestly think is best for the nation and it's people. That is already a tough and thankless job. Now add in less than honest, greedy, after-me-the-Great-Flood citizens and politicians, than you have the modern western world.

Democracy therefore is inherently a slow, inefficient and fragile system driven by the most common denominator, still wouldn't change it for any other system.
    Haha, agreed on every word.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Haha, agreed on every word.
    I am glad you liked it

Now here is the thing (to go a little deeper, as a honest advice and to get back to the World of Lazarus), if you want change to happen, you have to make it happen. For beginners, inform yourself and go vote. Democracy needs an active citizenry, one where everyone gives an opinion when it matters, on election day. Voting is called a right, but in truth it is a duty. A country where less than half adult population votes is honestly doomed to failure, because that is a country where nobody cares what happens to society. To make a little contrast, in my home nation, it is over 98%. Why? Because where I come from voting is compulsory (you have to be excused to not vote, for medical reasons or if you live abroad, like me, yet I still asked to vote via mail) you can give off any vote you want or throw in an empty paper, but you still have get your butt off the coach to get to the urn and vote something or nothing. (by the way, I am not saying that my country is perfect, far from it, but I try no to digress)
    That is but one way to gauge the state of a nation, of course. This certain lack of interest in one's fellow citizen is as a whole is a major (if not the) problem in the modern western societies and (sadly) the USA in particular. The United States society in particular (as in more than Germany or France) encourages personal success at the nigh total disregard of others, it is all about the self, being number one and doing your own thing and get rich in the process. (I know I am exaggerating a bit here, a society is much more complex than that) That is not always bad, as it also encourages finding new ways and inventing new things and always try again if the last thing failed (you make a lot of good movies and comic books ). However it also encourages disregarding anything that doesn't directly influence you. Politics? Waste of time, I got to study, work, get as rich as possible, have to spend that cash... Oh, has my country just wasted 1.000.000.000.0000 Dollars, running its economy into the ground to fight a useless war which my nation mainly started out of fear, rage and a childish thirst for bloody vengeance from a small group of hate filled fanatics who managed to give the world's biggest military and economy a bloody nose. The deaths of 9/11 are tragic no doubt about it, I was 15 when it happened, I still know how I was studying for an English exam when I heard it in the radio. And before you accuse me of being a reactionary egghead pussy doing weak armchair quarterbacking, not only did I serve and I also did a tour of duty (in 2011, the War on Terror had already entered its tenth year). I think that should cut me some slack and I still have deep respect for anyone (independent of origin) who chooses to go that... harrowing... way, they tried to do something about it unlike many many others I and you no doubt could name.
    I really shouldn't digress so much and get to the point
    Now here is where we get back to Lazarus and it all starts to make sense. What happened in the world of Lazarus is that its nations, their peoples and their economies deepened (in case of the USA) and further emulated these unhealthy business practices and attitudes (in case of the other nations of the planet), with the result that only the biggest companies who foresaw such a collapse and prepared accordingly, survived and even made more profit off of it. (profit is not always measured in money, I doubt the old world currencies have any value left in the world of Lazarus and people pay taxes mostly "in kind")

PS: I hope I didn't sound too preachy or sanctimonious. I actually didn't want to rant so much or go off track like that, but I hope a few readers here enjoyed it and perhaps learned something. But it shows just what a good work Lazarus is if it gets me thinking so much. Not that I couldn't point out a lot of logical mistakes or at least odd things, but that is for another time, mainly because even the things that are off make sense, as the world of Lazarus is socially and economically very unstable and on the brink of revolution. It s a sign of great writing and research if even the mistakes/inherent flaws of the system actually help the story and the setting

EDit: To say it in one sentence: take interest in your society, go vote and read Lazarus, 'cause it is awesome.
    Last edited by Platinius; 12-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Just to chime in regarding the responsibility to vote in the U.S.; Voter apathy is a result of many voter's frustration with this country's flawed 2-party system and the fact that politicians are not there to represent anyone other than themselves and their own preservation of power. Ideally, there should be alternate choices/candidates that truly represent the majority but the parallel between the real world and Lazarus is the fact that the very rich 1% control the politicos in question because of their financial contributions. As long as there are multi-million dollar campaigns being run for political offices- the disenfranchised will never hold a true voice. Now if there were write-in candidates for true champions of the masses (with the charisma of a Lazarus like Forever) that would pose a threat to the flawed system and break it down.

Fantastic Member

I admit, I wouldn't know who to vote where I a US citizen That is depressing...

Yet, this flawed situation sounds like an opportunity for young and driven activists to found their own party and go new ways and get things done. I know the US Americans to be opportunists and having a lot of initiative, makes me wonder why it hasn't happened yet. Ah well, ultimately it is not my problem, I should help clean up the political messes in Europe before I hop over the great pond and tell the people of the USA what to do
    Last edited by Platinius; 12-06-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Anyone got an idea about what the other Lazari can do? For instance, everyone (except that idiot, Mueller) is afraid of Jiaolong and he is disabled; this guys must have some serious telepathic powers or tech gadgets (like Iron Man) or both.
    Any thoughts on that?
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Fantastic Member

Jiaolong is a very simple on letter change from Xiaolong, meaning "little dragon" in Japanese (the letter change is likely because your average westerner would not know to pronounce the X as a "ch" like in chance)

Jiaolong is dangerous because he is clearly the most analytical and likely smartest in their round. To him, the poker game was an opportunity to analyze the other Lazari for their personal tactics, skills, learning curve and personality. It also shows that he is always thinking in his function as a Lazarus, that he is always "on". As a contrast we have Eve, who only wanted to have some fun and make out with Joaquim.
    Also, Mueller is not stupid, he remembered exactly who had which cards, probably just like the rest, however he did not draw any other conclusion than that Jiaolong might be cheating and did not think of actually adapting his own strategy and that Jiaolong might be doing it on purpose to provocate Mueller and test what enhancement strategy his boss had for him. Jiaolong also knew exactly how Mueller became a Lazarus and that the crippled man's spy-network works outstandingly well. That is also the point where we can really see that Mueller is new in the round and is not used to dealing with the enemies without his blade. This impotence and perceived vulnerability further fuels his already unnaturally high level of aggression and anger. That does not make him an idiot, merely inexperienced and after that encounter he will be lot more experienced. It also shows that Mueller's boss has very little interest Mueller's well being or reputation and only wants a comparatively crude attack dog as his prime soldier. (I do not know who his boss is nor do I care at the moment)

I understand what you say. When I said 'idiot' I meant rather 'crude' and 'unsophisticated'. Mueller is probably an excellent soldier but outside of warfare is abilities seem limited.
    My question was more about Jiaolong's offensive capabilities. I already noticed is analytic powers; the guy is basically a 'human computer' but in the middle of a fight he is not going to stand there and calculate the enemy's heart rate or temperature, is he? Zeferino (D'Souza Lazarus, next to Mueller) said:"You have no idea how lucky you just got. You have no idea what Jiaolong can do." The other Lazari are clearly scared of him; there must be more to it.
    P.S.
    FYI, Mueller is the Lazarus of house Rausling (controlling Austria, Italy and eastern Europe) currently led by Luka Rausling (the guy with the monocle).
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

All-New Member

Finished 1-13 in two nights, and will try to raise the plateau by 1 from now on. The story is quite unique and amazing. Somehow I don't like the covers for single issues -- I guess it's just my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Jiaolong is a very simple on letter change from Xiaolong, meaning "little dragon" in Japanese (the letter change is likely because your average westerner would not know to pronounce the X as a "ch" like in chance)
    I am sure it's Chinese.

Amazing Member

Did anyone ever post the map from the hardcover? I'm dying to know what the world looks like! I just wish they would put it in the single issues.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lgao View Post
    I am sure it's Chinese.
    When I checked it turned up Japanese, but the entire region has a very long shared history (if not a very peaceful one) so I can easily see names traveling much like the names Victor/Viktor/Виктор, Peter/Pierre/Пётр, Henry/Henri/Heng/Hank/Heinrich/Генрих or Michael/Michel/Michelangelo/Майкл did in the western world.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    This world is a Republican wet dream, with the Koch Brothers firmly in control.
    I had the same thought while reading this.

Incredible Member

Finished #14. What an issue. Finally, Forever learns what's up. Really hope next issue won't end with Forever killing Sonja.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 01-14-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Great issue, so many interesting plot threads addressed, my girl Forever, is about to learn how to play chess, with the big dogs..

Before that though, a fight to the death, or not, will see...

Love what Rucka is doing with Lazarus, this is probably my favorite thing he's written since, Wonder Woman...
    #MagnetoWasRight