Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Finished #14. What an issue. Finally, Forever learns what's up. Really hope next issue won't end with Forever killing Sonja.
    Same here.
    This series is amazing and I wish it had more than one title. Every time I read an issue I feel like I'm reading just one story with in a larger universe.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Great issue. This book is just so freaking amazing. Some big reveals but so many more questions unanswered. This is the one book I have absolutely got to have.

Phenomenal issue once again. I was a little surprised with the outcome of the Jonah situation, but it facilitated quite the reveal. This book continues to be one of my most enjoyable reads.

The big reveal sets in motion a pivotal shift for the character of Forever , imo. I think when we look back on the series when it's complete this will be the defining event for the direction Forever takes. A fight to the (near) death is a certainty but how the cards shake down afterward will be fascinating. Rucka & co have delivered in spades so far but the only thing I can wish for is even more back story (as harashkupo suggested). Forever's mercy toward her brother was somewhat surprising but may have benefited with a flashback to further link the 2 on terms beyond what we've seen so far. The ultimate betrayal of 'family' as Forever sees it would be tempered by some scene that places Jonah just slightly above the scum level he's been depicted so far.

I can't wait for the conclusion to Conclave. If this series sold more issues , perhaps Image might entertain the idea of side titles (further fleshing out the other families outlined in the back matter). We can hope to be so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    The big reveal sets in motion a pivotal shift for the character of Forever , imo. I think when we look back on the series when it's complete this will be the defining event for the direction Forever takes. A fight to the (near) death is a certainty but how the cards shake down afterward will be fascinating. Rucka & co have delivered in spades so far but the only thing I can wish for is even more back story (as harashkupo suggested). Forever's mercy toward her brother was somewhat surprising but may have benefited with a flashback to further link the 2 on terms beyond what we've seen so far. The ultimate betrayal of 'family' as Forever sees it would be tempered by some scene that places Jonah just slightly above the scum level he's been depicted so far.

I can't wait for the conclusion to Conclave. If this series sold more issues , perhaps Image might entertain the idea of side titles (further fleshing out the other families outlined in the back matter). We can hope to be so lucky.
    The bolded part made me chuckle.
    I agree that this will be a turning point but in a subtle way like planting the seed of change. I don't feel like anything dramatic will happen until Forever is back home then somehow meets up the family from the lift. Specifically the girl who flunked but then helped stop the bombing. I'm thinking that the girl and the family are going to be a larger catalyst that will cause a major shift in Forever's story.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

I love how Rucka was able to reach out to the humanity of a character that was previously portrayed as a douche bag (Jonah, of course). Eve's act of compassion for him is IMO a sign that things are changing. Something is brewing inside her head. Malcolm's grip on her is fading.
    The futures appears to be very interesting
    Last edited by Typhoeus; 01-17-2015 at 12:58 AM.
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

I bought the first couple arcs of this series on Comixology (#2-10) after having read only the first issue a while back. I made it through the first arc but by the second my interest and enthusiasm started to wane, and at the end of #7 I basically stopped reading and decided I wanted to be done with it.

My problem here, which IMO is a big problem with dystopias in general, is that unless the storytelling is staggeringly good (ex: 1984, A Clockwork Orange, etc), the whole thing is so dreary and depressing that it makes you as a reader feel worn out and discouraged. Maybe things turn around, but at least by the end of #7, there is pretty much nothing hopeful or positive or encouraging about this world.

That would maybe be more tolerable if I found the setting or characters more interesting. Rucka and Lark did a phenomenal job world-building, and the attention to detail both in the narrative and visual design is the saving grace of this series, but it still remains a drab world with a bunch of a-holes. Most of the people in the Carlyle family are dull and/or horrible people...the only one that I kind of like is Jonah because at least he is more desperate, cunning, and emotive. I get Forever's struggle with her morals and her identity crisis, but at the core I find her kind of dull and more of a blank slate than anything else. Similar comments / complaints with Lark's work. The attention to detail is superb and it completely meets the mark in terms of tone, but it's still drab and cold artwork nonetheless. There is very little variety in how things are drawn, which helps maintain consistency and verisimilitude but bores the reader over time.

Basically in conclusion I think this book is extremely good at what it does, but I find what it does to be dull.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm in complete agreement with "Banky" ("The big reveal sets in motion a pivotal shift for the character of Forever ...when it's ["Lazarus"] complete this will be the defining event for the direction Forever takes. "). And I suggest readers like "El Sombrero" should try this issue before abandoning the series. It'd help, of course, to've read the issues between #7 and this, but they, admittedly, pretty much more of what El S objected to-- in their defense, I suggest it's much like the case of a long-ago novel by [Catch-22's] author Joseph Heller, who wrote the world's longest dull book, _Something Happened_, until, nearly 4/5ths the way through, something does happen that, especially after plowing through the first 4/5ths, really, really shakes things up and creates a powerful emotional blow. Can't truly compare Lazarus to that, but the effect is much the same--this long, world-building set-up of " dull and/or horrible people" takes a sudden, invigorating turn, which for me, as "Banky" says, will likely be seen as a defining turning point for the lead character of Forever. Very happy, myself, with this series, and looking forward to the next many issues.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member

If adorable fangirl Sonja dies by her idol's hands, Eve will be shaken to the core. Either way it ends, the whole system has already been shaken by these events and will hopefully start to deteriorate the Families grasp to power.

I have a question though, has the general population increased or decreased since the Families took over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

I understand the desire to see more books, but I don't think there should be any other titles unless Rucka wants to write them. It is too much his vision.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I bought the first couple arcs of this series on Comixology (#2-10) after having read only the first issue a while back. I made it through the first arc but by the second my interest and enthusiasm started to wane, and at the end of #7 I basically stopped reading and decided I wanted to be done with it.

My problem here, which IMO is a big problem with dystopias in general, is that unless the storytelling is staggeringly good (ex: 1984, A Clockwork Orange, etc), the whole thing is so dreary and depressing that it makes you as a reader feel worn out and discouraged. Maybe things turn around, but at least by the end of #7, there is pretty much nothing hopeful or positive or encouraging about this world.

That would maybe be more tolerable if I found the setting or characters more interesting. Rucka and Lark did a phenomenal job world-building, and the attention to detail both in the narrative and visual design is the saving grace of this series, but it still remains a drab world with a bunch of a-holes. Most of the people in the Carlyle family are dull and/or horrible people...the only one that I kind of like is Jonah because at least he is more desperate, cunning, and emotive. I get Forever's struggle with her morals and her identity crisis, but at the core I find her kind of dull and more of a blank slate than anything else. Similar comments / complaints with Lark's work. The attention to detail is superb and it completely meets the mark in terms of tone, but it's still drab and cold artwork nonetheless. There is very little variety in how things are drawn, which helps maintain consistency and verisimilitude but bores the reader over time.

Basically in conclusion I think this book is extremely good at what it does, but I find what it does to be dull.
    I agree with you on most points. Rucka and Lark have absolutely nailed what they've set out to do with this book so far. But at times, it does feel dull to me. I plan on finishing this current arc because it looks like things are about to get really crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I agree with you on most points. Rucka and Lark have absolutely nailed what they've set out to do with this book so far. But at times, it does feel dull to me. I plan on finishing this current arc because it looks like things are about to get really crazy.
    I don't know that I would use the word dull to describe this book, but I do kind of see where you guys are coming from. I'm not sure how to put into words the vibe i get from the story and art. For some reason the word sterile keeps coming to mind, it's a very sterile environment in Lazarus. I guess that could come off as dull to some.

All-New Member

Question for everyone: what's the best way to read Lazarus -- singles, trades, or deluxe HCs?

I'm a bit behind on my Lazarus reading, having only read the first trade, but am anxious to continue, though I haven't decided which way yet. It's to my understanding that backmatter that appears in the singles -- lettercolumns, maybe essays, anything else? -- isn't reprinted in the trades, but this material IS in the deluxe HC (except for the lettercolumns, right), plus other stuff? How much does this material contribute to the reader's understanding/appreciation/immersion in the story? If I continue reading in trades and miss out on all of this paratextual material, am I all right? Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Disraeli Gears View Post
    Question for everyone: what's the best way to read Lazarus -- singles, trades, or deluxe HCs?
    <snip>
    Thanks for any help!
    The backmatter isn't essential but it sure as heck is interesting and, for me at least, really adds to the feeling that this is a "real" world that these events are taking place in.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

Jumping into this thread because I picked up the first paperback a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it. It was one of those series I wasn't really sure about but I kept wanting to read, and then after I was done with it I just wanted to jump right into the next one, which I have yet to pick up. So I'm behind but this series has definitely got its hooks in me.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender