Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

That would really suck to have Malcolm killed so soon.
    I think he'll end up somehow in a coma for a few issues (maybe even the entire next story arc)but eventually he'll come back.
    As for Bittner, for some reason, Hock already knew Sevara wanted to 'defect' and switch alliance so he decided "Screw it! If I lose you lose too!".
    Thankfully, Sonja survived.
    Next story arc, Carlyle is without real leader, for at least a while. Eve should have cut Jakob Hock's head off. Damn you Hock, damn you!
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoeus View Post
    That would really suck to have Malcolm killed so soon.
    I think he'll end up somehow in a coma for a few issues (maybe even the entire next story arc)but eventually he'll come back.
    As for Bittner, for some reason, Hock already knew Sevara wanted to 'defect' and switch alliance so he decided "Screw it! If I lose you lose too!".
    Thankfully, Sonja survived.
    Next story arc, Carlyle is without real leader, for at least a while. Eve should have cut Jakob Hock's head off. Damn you Hock, damn you!
    That would have been so satisfying.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Can't wait to see how this all shakes out. War bitches!

All-New Member

One of the things I loved about this issue (fight scene aside) was how quick Forever was to draw steel against her friend, and then when she had won, to prepare to execute her. It serves to remind us that while Forever is inexperienced in some things (like love and romance), she's been living this life at least since she was 14 years old.
    "I have no choice."
    "We never do."
    "You're my friend."
    "Not today."
    The dichotomy between Forever and Sonja, which has been established throughout the arc, is really crystal clear here. Forever is a veteran, while Sonja is still inexperienced in the world of the Lazari and Family dealings. Ultimately it's Sonja's inexperience that defeats her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars452 View Post
    One of the things I loved about this issue (fight scene aside) was how quick Forever was to draw steel against her friend, and then when she had won, to prepare to execute her. It serves to remind us that while Forever is inexperienced in some things (like love and romance), she's been living this life at least since she was 14 years old.

The dichotomy between Forever and Sonja, which has been established throughout the arc, is really crystal clear here. Forever is a veteran, while Sonja is still inexperienced in the world of the Lazari and Family dealings. Ultimately it's Sonja's inexperience that defeats her.
    Yep. Forever is a war machine, it was cool to be reminded of that.

Dat fight. I loved this issue.

I have always thought critics kiss Lazarus ass a little too hard, but this issue really swayed me.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Not much to add here except to say that considering how much I've come to hate issue-long brawls in superhero comics its says a lot that I loved it here. Not just because Michael Lark totally knocked it out of the park but because it also gave us even more nice, subtle glimpses into these characters and this world. Rucka continues to be the master of the slow-build and a virtuoso of intelligent AND emotional storytelling and, though Lark is easy to overlook as there's nothing splashy about his art, his storytelling and his mastery of character-acting is a huge part of what makes this such a tremendous piece of work. It's no surprise then that despite some serious competition from Deadly Class this was easily my pick of the week.

Also, this is up there with Sex Criminals and Saga (oddly, my other two favourite comics right now) in having a letter column that makes collecting it in single issues the way to go for this series. The world building stuff is great, as everyone notices, but the thoughtful nature of the letters and Rucka's responses to them, as well as his terrific time-specific mini-essays that conclude each letter column, are every bit as essential, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Ilan Preskovsky; 02-22-2015 at 05:23 AM.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Great issue, the fight scene was one of the tensest moments I have ever felt whilst reading a comic, and made me realise how invested I am in the character of Forever.

There's been a discussion about the readership of this comic and the feasibility of how long the comic will last.. Rucka posted this on the Lazarus tumblr page a week ago:

"First, that the **LAZARUS: THE FIRST COLLECTION hardcover is going back to press for a second printing. This makes us very happy.

Second, that the pre-orders on the LAZARUS VOL. 3 TPB, collecting “Conclave,” was up nine percent from pre-orders on the previous TPB. This makes us very happy."

Seems as if the readership is increasing as the series goes ahead so hopefully this means Rucka will be allowed to finish at the point he wants to

BANNED

#15 was excellent. Lark's art impresses me, anyway, but the fight scene was just monumental. (His command of facial expression is masterful.) And the story is nice and tight.

There are a lot of interesting posts in this thread. To be honest, I don't see that Forever's world is so much different from ours in that there have always been ruling families in charge of vast resources (as now), there have always been humans serving those families, and there have always been the unwashed masses. When has this ever changed? And when will it ever? The only difference is the setting --- some time in the future after maybe an environmental or socio-political catastrophe.

I also don't find the comic to be especially bleak. I've read much darker versions of the future.

And, for anyone who isn't seeing all of the back-matter in the TPBs or hardcovers, you can always get the digital versions, which include everything. (I don't read that content because I'm afraid it will contain spoilers.)

All-in-all, good series and a very well done #15. I don't really have one favorite monthly release but this is one that I look forward to...

Incredible Member

I think the future depicted in Lazarus is bleak because it's not far-fetched at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I think the future depicted in Lazarus is bleak because it's not far-fetched at all.
    It is also bleak because we mainly see only those at the top. When we see the other 99% it is as grim as can be.

About the fight, Lark did such a great job of showing Eve's dexterity vs Sonja's strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Not much to add here except to say that considering how much I've come to hate issue-long brawls in superhero comics its says a lot that I loved it here. Not just because Michael Lark totally knocked it out of the park but because it also gave us even more nice, subtle glimpses into these characters and this world.
    Absolutely. There are exceptions, but typically speaking, issue-long fight scenes in cape book are little more than filler, especially in modern comics. We know there's nothing at stake because any damage, death, or emotional trauma is going to be undone or forgotten, possibly as soon as the next writer comes along. With a book like Lazarus, though, there's no safety net. Eve doesn't die easily, but she -- and her family and their allies -- have a riding on this one fight, socially, materially, and even emotionally. Great dramatic tension.

Lazarus was my first image book....I love it. I will be there for issue #100....
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak

Awesome news! Lazarus is easily one of my top titles every month.