Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

This and Nailbiter have been the books I've wanted to see get adapted the most. I'm really excited for this.
    We need better comics

Just got Vol 2. Vol 3, your next.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Finally got to read issue 16 and just wow. Rucka really pulled me inside Sister Bernard's head and it was such a heart breaking tale. The woman doesn't fight but I saw her as such a strong individual. Her struggle of trying to maintain some sort of moral compass in that hellhole seemed so real. I felt like this was a diary from a real woman.

Beyond her story we've gotten a chance to see even more into this world and it's history. We learn about the wars between the families and how they fought against each other. We get to see through Sister Bernard's eyes what different territories are like. Plus I can't forget that ending. The way Joacquim came in and saved her was cool and also tied in the new treaty that Forever helped establish from the beginning issues.

Next issue says Forever will be guiding the family. Hopefully the backstabbing can take a break so she can hold everything together until Malcome gets better. I hope he does. That guy was an insane strategist and from what little I've seen, none of the Carlyles can even compare to him.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Even though he's a mastermind strategist, I kind of hope he is dead. That would cause lots of inner turmoil and chaos within the family, and I love chaos.
    On a quest to read all X-Men related comics in chronological order
    Titles I'm currently reading:
    Uncanny X-Men - X-Men v2 - X-Force - Wolverine - Deadpool - X-Treme X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Seedzington View Post
    Even though he's a mastermind strategist, I kind of hope he is dead. That would cause lots of inner turmoil and chaos within the family, and I love chaos.
    lol I haven't gotten enough of him yet. I enjoy smart characters and I feel like I don't get to read about them that much.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    lol I haven't gotten enough of him yet. I enjoy smart characters and I feel like I don't get to read about them that much.
    Very true. It's a win/win situation in terms of entertainment for me really.
    On a quest to read all X-Men related comics in chronological order
    Titles I'm currently reading:
    Uncanny X-Men - X-Men v2 - X-Force - Wolverine - Deadpool - X-Treme X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Seedzington View Post
    Very true. It's a win/win situation in terms of entertainment for me really.

I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post

Oh no you ditn't break out Church Lady! Anyway, i'm not ready for Malcolm to go yet either.

Malcolm dying this early would be premature. We all have reasons to hate him but I'd rather see him have to face the Forever & family for his past actions than see him pay for it from a fluke attack by Hock.

I agree with all the praise for #16. You'd never think a story in this dystopic world from a nun's POV would be riveting but it was. The heart wrenching admissions by Sister Bernard near the end were very powerful. Rucka & co have built a world where side stories like this have tremendous impact to the story and the reader.

I was very impressed by the special pages in this issue. Amazing amount of work put into those.
    As ruthless and unfeeling Carlyle is, it appears Hock is pure evil. Hundreds of millions dead from biological warfare. And he didn't learn his lesson from the mutation of that flu, so he is at it again.
    There is definitely parallels to Corporations today and they way they act above the law. I think how well Dick Cheney would fit in the Lazarus world.

Just read the three trades available and wow, great stuff. I'm loving how Rucka gives us this new world little by little, and it's not painfully obvious like if he was pushing in your face to understand, he just gives it to you how it is. Great writing on his part and the art is fantastic as usual from Lark. I can't think who does the colors off the top of my head, but they go perfect with everything.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Yay Sparko, glad you liked Lazarus! and if this is what you like about it, "how Rucka gives us this new world little by little, and it's not painfully obvious like if he was pushing in your face to understand, he just gives it to you how it is," I'd like to suggest your trying the Luna Bros. "Alex + Ada," for the same reason. And, of course, because it's beautiful to look at and well-written, of course. Warning, though, it's really looking to end on a sad note... but it's been a great series, in my opinion, at least!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Thanks Matt. I have Alex + Ada on my radar, I'm thinking of buying the three trades all in one shot when the third comes out. I ran into some info that it was ending with the third, so other than having done so at the beginning, I can't think of a better point to jump on now.

And yeah, on Rucka's writing, it really is pushing greatness for me. I can imagine he had this huge brainstorming event (maybe with Lark) where he created this world in his head, came up with the smallest details, and then just weaved us into everything, oh so subtlety. Like a baby that is born in water and doesn't cry right away because his new world doesn't feel all that different from the former, mom's belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Just read the three trades available and wow, great stuff. I'm loving how Rucka gives us this new world little by little, and it's not painfully obvious like if he was pushing in your face to understand, he just gives it to you how it is. Great writing on his part and the art is fantastic as usual from Lark. I can't think who does the colors off the top of my head, but they go perfect with everything.
    The colors are by Santi Arcas, who is very much underrated, imo. I think the greyish, muddy earth tones in the palette for Lazarus tend to turn off a lot of readers more accustomed to the bright, poppy colors of superhero books from the big 2. I agree they are appropriate for the world Ruck & Lark created and the overall effect works well.

I'm a little behind on my Lazarus reading... but just "read" issue #15 this morning. Lark's choreography... just, wow. Amazing issue with absolutely no dialogue in the meat of the whole thing. Really good stuff. Can't wait for THAT episode in the soon-to-be-tv-show! lol.