Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Absolutely in love with Lazarus. The politicking in the comic is so well executed and just elevates the intelligence of the book above most other books in the industry at the moment. Rucka said that the number of readers has plateaued a bit so I really hope more people will realise how excellent this is and pick it up!

And I concur, the next two covers are beautiful. Really feel like they're stepping up the cover art from issue 11!
    This definitely has a potentially larger audience. If you look at the popular Urban Fantasy and YA dystopian heroines it's obvious to me that Lazarus easily falls in line with them. Too bad there aren't really that many cross over fans between the two mediums.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    Such a good series. I love the world that Rucka and Lark are building in Lazarus. It's a world that could potentially support multiple ongoing. I'm really looking forward to how the plot line that Forever isn't really related to her family. I'm hoping for it to eventually lead to a Lazari war in which the Lazarus of each family joins together to fight against the families.
    I doubt it will come to that. The Lazarus of each family is programmed (basically brainwashed) for loyalty and dedicated service. If anyone is starting to have doubts, it would be Forever (email subplot) but she's the only one.

As far as artists go in the event of Lark taking a break, here's my dream wishlist of fill-in substitute artists:

1. Sean Murphy
    2. Vanessa Del Rey
    3. Steve Epting
    4. Alex Maleev
    5. Francis Manapul

The world-building by Rucka & Lark so far has given a very gritty, grimy dystopian future environment. I love how Murphy uses full pages for effective world-building setpieces. I think if there were a future arc overseas like the Australian families, he'd do really well as an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    3. Steve Epting

The world-building by Rucka & Lark so far has given a very gritty, grimy dystopian future environment. I love how Murphy uses full pages for effective world-building setpieces. I think if there were a future arc overseas like the Australian families, he'd do really well as an artist.
    Epting and Lark fit really well in their Capt America issues.

Also speaking of world building, if the apocalypse occurred and this series were ever to be cut short I hope we could at least get the notes or something behind the world of Lazarus. Getting the history in the back of each issue is just great as the comic itself.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Issue #13 is the next one out in a couple weeks. I strongly suggest jumping on. There's nothing else like this book in comics.
    Thanks but I’m one of those trade guys I very rarely if ever got the single comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Good choices. Ravine is really good too.
    Yeah but it’s a finished story of two trades it’s not an ongoing. I still need to pick up artifacts from top cow my poor books I have so many I want and not enough room to have them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    There's a hardcover of the first 9 issues due out next month. Plus it's supposed to have a load of the world-building and backmatter notes that are absent from the paperback editions. It would be, IMO, an excellent place to jump on.
    Yeah problem I’m not a big fan of hardbacks I like the paperbacks more which is the only problem not sure why I don’t like them plus i can get the first two trade paperbacks whenever but I will check out the tbp.
    Truth is the best policy

I've been lucky enough to lay my eyes on the deluxe HC that comes out next week and it's really well done. Clean layout, textured cover, bonus art, creator tidbits, a full and fluid timeline, and two things I will probably use as a reference when I'm reading solo issues: multiple world maps and full page bio's

In regards to the sales plateau; I'm wondering if it's due to being a 5-week release instead of a true monthly, or if for some people it's a 'slow burn' of a story. Personally I think the pace is perfect as many times the 'action' isn't necessarily hack/slash but more on a political/mental level. TBH I wasn't hooked after the first issue, but when I read issue 2 and saw the timeline I realized that if Rucka's world had THAT much detail, he wouldn't let the story be second rate.

I got into Lazarus because I was looking for Greg Rucka work and the cover looked so amazing to me. I'm not that big a fan of the technical work but having read thru 2 vol, color me a fan.

Eve is, weirdly enough, how I pictured he'd write Laura from X-men. I do feel for Eve and for the people unlucky enough to live in that place. Plus with the recent additions of new characters (the doctor and the fighter) along with the familial fighting, I wanna see how this goes. Along with how the other Lazarus for the other families are.

...Dangit Imma go reread them.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

very appreciative of Lazarus. definitely a top choice for me. holding off a re-read for another ten issues I think, by which time the story will have pushed forward enough to bring a lot more meaning to the earliest issues.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I reread a few days after an arc concludes. I read the individual issues when they release and then go back and read them like they were in trade format.

This is a great series. The look at the world when the 1% (or 0.1%) have all the power is masterful. A story I'd like to see is about spies within the families. Surely there must be a lot of espionage going on.

I fucking love this book. Excuse my french. There's nothing on the stands with this kind of ambition and commentary. Anyone know what the numbers are on this book? Is it growing in readership? This book is so underrated

Quote Originally Posted by TonyGallardo View Post
    I fucking love this book. Excuse my french. There's nothing on the stands with this kind of ambition and commentary. Anyone know what the numbers are on this book? Is it growing in readership? This book is so underrated
    Rucka said in the latest letters column that the readership numbers have somewhat plateau'd, so they're neither increasing or decreasing, which I guess is good, but hope to God that they do increase to keep this book going as long as possible!

Fantastic Member

I like it but Rucka isn't hooking me in all the way in this one. I enjoy Stumptown more. Could be me. Michael Lark's work is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Rucka said in the latest letters column that the readership numbers have somewhat plateau'd, so they're neither increasing or decreasing, which I guess is good, but hope to God that they do increase to keep this book going as long as possible!
    As long as the plateau is at a level that can keep the book going for as long as Rucka and Lark want... which is admittedly (by them) a very long time.

Picked up the first HC today and it's great! Very cool world-map with loads of extra details like character profiles etc. Already have both Volumes 1 and 2 and still had to pick it up for the word-buolding content

Is the content the same content from the individual issues? I.e. the timeline, family histories, etc..?