Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Jean Grey Takes to the Stars as Phoenix - Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Mira

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...from-the-ashes

Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Miracolo
    (dang it, it didn't fit their whole name in the title!)

PHOENIX #1
    Written by STEPHANIE PHILLIPS
    Art by ALESSANDRO MIRACOLO
    Cover by YASMINE PUTRI
    On Sale 7/17
    LIFE! FIRE! POWER! POSSIBILITY! PHOENIX! Feel the flames on Yasmine Putri’s PHOENIX #1 cover now and stay tuned tomorrow for another X-Men: From the Ashes series announcement!

Set in the X-Men’s upcoming From the Ashes era, Jean Grey headlines a new 'Phoenix' ongoing series by Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Miracolo this July

As one of the most powerful heroes on Earth, Jean Grey stands apart from even her fellow Omega-Level mutants with her infinite potential. This July, the From the Ashes era begins, but as the X-Men regroup across the globe, Xavier’s first student will ascend to the cosmos to fulfill her divine destiny!

Behold the adventures of the universe’s newest savior in PHOENIX, a new ongoing Jean Grey solo series from hotshot Marvel writer Stephanie Phillips (SPIDER-GWEN: THE GHOST-SPIDER, BLACK WIDOW & HAWKEYE) and dynamic rising star artist Alessandro Miracolo (WHITE WIDOW).

During the final moments of Krakoa, currently being told in RISE OF THE POWERS OF X and X-MEN: FOREVER, Jean Grey finds herself at the epicenter of creation and rebirth known as the White Hot Room. What shocking metamorphosis occurs that leads to her adopting a new costume and taking to the stars as the Phoenix? And with her deadly reputation preceding her, will the galaxy kneel or cower before her greatness?

She is Jean Grey. She is Phoenix. She saves the world. She brings death. One woman, alone in space, who not only must do what no one else can: she yearns to. A desperate S.O.S. from Nova brings the Phoenix to the edge of a black hole, where hundreds of lives hang in the balance… and whatever Jean does—or fails to do—will bring darkness to the universe and haunt her in ways she can scarcely imagine…

"Jean is one of the most powerful characters I've ever written,” Phillips explained. "The beauty and challenge to Jean is that she is imbued with a cosmic force alongside the morals, shortcomings, and empathy of a human being. The dichotomy between those two is something incredibly special about Jean, and means that she is constantly doing a dance between humanity and absolute power."

"So, that dance is what we hope to have on full display in this story... a cosmic ballet that shows how beautiful the Phoenix Force can be when working in tandem with Jean Grey," she continued. "And let me assure you, Alessandro Miracolo has made that cosmic dance look absolutely gorgeous."

"This is fantastic! Being an X-Men fan since I was a kid, I’m so happy to work on such an important character like Phoenix, and Stephanie’s writing has been incredible!" Miracolo shared. "Depicting Phoenix out in the cosmos and unleashing her energy has been thrilling and simply epic, and there’s also really emotional moments that I hope to make the most of. I wish I could say more but I hope everyone is excited because this will be fun!"

Last month, fans got their first look at what awaits Marvel’s line of X-Men titles following the bold Krakoan Age with the reveal of three flagship series: Jed MacKay and Ryan Stegman’s X-MEN, Gail Simone and David Marquez’s UNCANNY X-MEN, and Eve L. Ewing and Carmen Carnero’s EXCEPTIONAL X-MEN.

The expansive mythos of the X-Men has always made space for additional series that test the limits and explore the far-reaching scope of the mutant metaphor. Fresh spins on classic X-Men titles and startling directions for your favorite mutants are just ahead, starting in July with X-FORCE, PHOENIX, and NYX
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sign me the hell up for this right now!!!
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Not a fan of the writer or the new costume. But the cover artist does manage to hide it well, so the art looks great.
    I hope this turns out better than I expect. Or that Jean joins Gail Simone's team eventually.

SOS from Nova... so following up on his links to the X-Men from Ewing's Red then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    A desperate S.O.S. from Nova brings the Phoenix to the edge of a black hole, where hundreds of lives hang in the balance… and whatever Jean does—or fails to do—will bring darkness to the universe and haunt her in ways she can scarcely imagine…
    Yeah, not being baited by Nova after the huge X-Men Red disappointment.
    I just hope he doesn't get killed.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Concept is great, very fun and different for Jean. She's dealt with the Phoenix a lot but we've not really let her just BE the Phoenix for an extended period of time after the original time, and dealing with cosmic stuff will be cool. I thought Phillips' Rogue & Gambit was weak but maybe this will be better.

This is the writer that did that awful Rogue and Gambit mini?

A Pheonix title deserves a more prominent writer in my opinion I feel like this might last an arc.

She looks so good

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Underwhelming. Completely unfamiliar with the creative team and I haven't heard any kind of buzz about either. Cosmic based stories are a hard sell for me and require a strong writer to make me interested and I don't know that Phillips can pull it off. It's a pass right now pending good reviews from unbiased sources.

That costume is so ugly.

I'm very happy that Jean is finally Phoenix again but I do not like the new costume. It does look better on this cover though. Still on the fence about buying the book at this point.

The Red Dragon

I’m ready for this!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm intrigued by the concept and like the new Phoenix costume but I'm very skeptical on the writer following her weak Gambit/Rogue mini.

I also think that cosmic books can be a tougher sell than Earth-based ones and not everyone can pull them off, which only adds to Phillips' challenge. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing Jeannie spread her fiery wings!

My condolences to Jean fans if we get the same version of Stephanie Phillips on this as we got when she wrote the Rogue&Gambit mini. Easily one of the worst things I have ever forced my way through. Let’s hope she delivers infinitely better this time around.

Like the premise… but VERY wary of the writer. That Rogue & Gambit series (which they conveniently didn’t mention in her credentials) ranks at the bottom of books I’ve started in the Krakoan era. I’ll try out the first issue for Jeannie.

Okay. Sounds fun. I’ll bite.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”