Page 303 of 326 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 4884

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    So, I watched X-Men (the OG movie that came out in 2000) last night, hadn't seen it in a good while. It's not a terrible film, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Some of that enjoyment might be a result of nostalgia, sure, but it was enjoyment nonetheless. It's certainly of it's time, has serious vibes of "Have you guys seen that move The Matrix? It's really in right now", with all that black leather, but it has a special place in my heart, being the first one we ever got.
    It's a good movie. Better than a lot of more modern super hero films imo.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I agree there's still a lot to like about that first X-Men movie and think it aged pretty gracefully. It did a fine job introducing the concept of mutants and their world, their school, the different ideologies. It features some superb performances by Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and High Jackman. The core 4 X-Men with Jackman, James Marsden, Famke Janssen and Halle Berry, all in their prime, look drop-dead gorgeous (I think they all still do btw)

One thing that annoyed me upon watching it when it first came out was that Cyclops, Jean and Storm were still almost fully unrealized characters by the end of the movie. I thought that mistake would have been corrected in the sequel (if there was ever going to be one)... little did I know that was an issue that would plague the franchise even 20 years later.

I really like how the majority of the set-up for the first X-Men movie was gritty and realistic. Yes, there was a final battle moment but what I thought was interesting and something we take for granted is the political and societal aspects of the mutant debate. It honestly felt like they were able to depict what the world would like like if mutants were publicly discussed in 2000. I would love to see a more grounded The Wire type mutant show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It's definitely better than most of the X-Men movies that followed it. I like X2, First Class, D.O.F.P, Logan and the Deadpool films but the rest of the Fox X-Men stuff is not for me. As for MCU stuff I think Eternals is probably the weakest so far. As for DC films, I liked the first Wonder Woman and I love the Nolan Batman films but I pretty much checked out after BvS, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I agree there's still a lot to like about that first X-Men movie and think it aged pretty gracefully. It did a fine job introducing the concept of mutants and their world, their school, the different ideologies. It features some superb performances by Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and High Jackman. The core 4 X-Men with Jackman, James Marsden, Famke Janssen and Halle Berry, all in their prime, look drop-dead gorgeous (I think they all still do btw)

One thing that annoyed me upon watching it when it first came out was that Cyclops, Jean and Storm were still almost fully unrealized characters by the end of the movie. I thought that mistake would have been corrected in the sequel (if there was ever going to be one)... little did I know that was an issue that would plague the franchise even 20 years later.
    Yeah, I can't wait to see the MCU X-Men, I'm really hoping Cyclops and Storm get much better treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualLibrarian View Post
    I really like how the majority of the set-up for the first X-Men movie was gritty and realistic. Yes, there was a final battle moment but what I thought was interesting and something we take for granted is the political and societal aspects of the mutant debate. It honestly felt like they were able to depict what the world would like like if mutants were publicly discussed in 2000. I would love to see a more grounded The Wire type mutant show.
    Oh hell yes! I never knew I wanted that but bring it on!!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

So I've been reading the X-Men books post Hickman Secret Wars and it occurs to me that I never read the book where the terrigen cloud is released on Earth yet books of the time were referencing it all the time. I'm guessing it was Inhumans or something like that. Do any of you folks know what book it was? I feel like there was a terrigen bomb in the Infinity event at the time. Was that what produced the terrigen cloud the mutants are running from?

I'm not even gonna get into the fact that the Extraordinary X-Men book had them hiding out in Limbo. From a cloud. With Storm on the team. What were they thinking?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    So I've been reading the X-Men books post Hickman Secret Wars and it occurs to me that I never read the book where the terrigen cloud is released on Earth yet books of the time were referencing it all the time. I'm guessing it was Inhumans or something like that. Do any of you folks know what book it was? I feel like there was a terrigen bomb in the Infinity event at the time. Was that what produced the terrigen cloud the mutants are running from?

I'm not even gonna get into the fact that the Extraordinary X-Men book had them hiding out in Limbo. From a cloud. With Storm on the team. What were they thinking?
    Honestly, it was so bad and a waste of Jeff Lemire and Humberto Ramos's Extraordinary talents. It's amazing how otherwise good creators can produce such bad comics if the editorial "direction" is messed up.
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 11-23-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!! i know that causes some emotion for some or maybe it doesn't but for me it brings back when my dad was alive and healthy, my mom, my siblings and the one time of year we actually ate together and it was expected to spend some semblance of time and as i look back before we got older and my dad got sick etc it was such an innocent day and that does not take anything away from anyone else because it's mine. So Gobble Gobble! ^_^
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Happy Thanksgiving J and to everyone else! Hope you all have a great day and go Cowboys!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I've been thinking recently that it would be interesting to try to go for a full read of Claremont's original X-men run (from X-Men #94 to X-Men Volume 2 #3.)

I've read much of the material before, although not all of it. It includes some of my favorite comic books ever, with the Claremont/ Byrne run (Dark Phoenix Saga, Proteus, Days of Future Past, the fight with Magneto under the volcano), Wolverine mini-series, Magneto Classic X-Men spotlights and God Loves, Man Kills.

Thanks to a documentary, the Claremont's X-Men run twitter account and Gail Simone's comment that Claremont's X-Men is one of four runs to really get women into comics in the late 20th Century (along with Moore/ Bisette/ Totelbon's Saga of the Swamp Thing, Wolfman/ Perez's Teen Titans and Gaiman's Sandman), I've gotten more of an appreciation for why some people think he's one of the best comic book writers ever.

I probably wouldn't start it for at least a month (finishing something on Byrne's Superman elsewhere right now) but would a thread going over Claremont's entire run be welcome here?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've been thinking recently that it would be interesting to try to go for a full read of Claremont's original X-men run (from X-Men #94 to X-Men Volume 2 #3.)

I've read much of the material before, although not all of it. It includes some of my favorite comic books ever, with the Claremont/ Byrne run (Dark Phoenix Saga, Proteus, Days of Future Past, the fight with Magneto under the volcano), Wolverine mini-series, Magneto Classic X-Men spotlights and God Loves, Man Kills.

Thanks to a documentary, the Claremont's X-Men run twitter account and Gail Simone's comment that Claremont's X-Men is one of four runs to really get women into comics in the late 20th Century (along with Moore/ Bisette/ Totelbon's Saga of the Swamp Thing, Wolfman/ Perez's Teen Titans and Gaiman's Sandman), I've gotten more of an appreciation for why some people think he's one of the best comic book writers ever.

I probably wouldn't start it for at least a month (finishing something on Byrne's Superman elsewhere right now) but would a thread going over Claremont's entire run be welcome here?
    I'm loving the sound of it already. I myself re-read the entire run multiple times and I'm always happy to discuss it.

This is the puppy I'm getting. I'll be picking him up soon, hopefully next week. I named him Salty Hellion Yuya. All separate names, so he's not "Salty Hellion" or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

This is the puppy I'm getting. I'll be picking him up soon, hopefully next week. I named him Salty Hellion Yuya. All separate names, so he's not "Salty Hellion" or anything.
    Congrats, Rift! A little brother because you already have a dog, right?
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Yep! I wanted a shiba for years, but part of why I wanted to get a dog was so Charlie could have a playmate and socialize with other dogs. He really loves other dogs, but he plays best with dogs around his size.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 this morning for the first time in ages and goddamn there is some serious X-Men love in that game. It has Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Magneto, Psylocke, Colossus, Sabretooth, Spiral, Marrow, Silver Samurai, Gambit, Iceman, Cable, Juggernaut, Omega Red, a Sentinel and 2 versions of Wolverine. I could be wrong but I think the idea was that one Wolverine had the bone claws and the other had the adamantium, but I don't know that for sure. In any event, that makes up most of the Marvel cast in the game and I Love that a character like Spiral made the cut, so cool.

MVC2.jpg

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Yep! I wanted a shiba for years, but part of why I wanted to get a dog was so Charlie could have a playmate and socialize with other dogs. He really loves other dogs, but he plays best with dogs around his size.
    Good luck! May his poops be small, easy to clean, and always on the paper. :c)
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...