Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Resurrection of Magneto #4 - Review

Writer: Al Ewing
    Penciler: Luciano Vecchio
    Cover Artist: Stefano Caselli
    RETURN OF THE KING! The Master of Magnetism has returned to the world…but it is not the world he left. Nor is Magneto the same man who left it. Has death changed him for the better, or for the worse? And when he sees what ORCHIS has done to mutantkind…will it change him again?

Another huge example of how loose is X-office right now.

While Duggan's X-men are happily killing enemies, Magneto (with the help of Storm and Blue Marvel) is dismantling an Orchis Gulag, using minimum violence and apprehending the ones that surrender. And when he is caught with no choice and kills some of them, there's weight in the decision.

In the end, they have to fight a very strong Stark Sentinel which is only defeated by a human-mutant circuit.

From all the characters, I would expect Magneto to become vengeful after everything that happened after his death. But they are preparing him to be the new Professor M in the wheelchair.

So how is Magneto alive?
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Another great issue and a glorious conclusion. I opened up a new thread to write up a recap but I just can't do the narration justice. But here are scans of the awesome human/mutant circuit.

It's great to have Magneto back and I liked how the issue ended with Emma requesting his help to save Tony. That worked nicely with how this week's Iron Man ended.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Wow this looks wonderful. And I'm actually refraining to read too much of the thread to savour Ewing's writing better in a few months

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    So how is Magneto alive?
    Combination of a magical key he got in Giant-Size Magneto and Blue Marvel's portal energy recreating his body. That's how he's physically back, at least. His mental process for regaining the will to live is more complicated and was basically the whole premise of issue 2.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Another great issue and a glorious conclusion. I opened up a new thread to write up a recap but I just can't do the narration justice. But here are scans of the awesome human/mutant circuit.

It's great to have Magneto back and I liked how the issue ended with Emma requesting his help to save Tony. That worked nicely with how this week's Iron Man ended.
    This was powerful in more ways than one, especially with the part in his soliloquy talking about the true nature and evil of fascism as represented by the Orchis Sentinels. Really hit hard, particularly in these times.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    This was powerful in more ways than one, especially with the part in his soliloquy talking about the true nature and evil of fascism as represented by the Orchis Sentinels. Really hit hard, particularly in these times.
    It went way too fast for this to be Ewing's swansong, which was heartbreaking. I'm taking him off the x-books HARD. Otherwise, it was thoughtful, elegant and powerful -- everything a Mags story should be and everything we could count on Al Ewing for.

Nice ending. I thought the human/mutant circuit was amazing. If not slightly under dramatic visually, given the three people.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    Combination of a magical key he got in Giant-Size Magneto and Blue Marvel's portal energy recreating his body. That's how he's physically back, at least. His mental process for regaining the will to live is more complicated and was basically the whole premise of issue 2.
    Thank you!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I feel like I'm starting to notice a trend of Al Ewing where he likes characters going "THIS IS THE FULL CULMINATION OF MY CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND THEMATIC ARC!!!" as they strut their power around and overpower and enemy.

I guess it makes sense for a guy who is more into the story, character beats, and continuity than he is the actual fights.

I think this was my least favorite off the 4 issues, but still a fantastic comic. I think the return to Earth was always going to be less exciting than a perilous journey through the underworld. But overall such a fantastic character study for Max and Ororo.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    It went way too fast for this to be Ewing's swansong, which was heartbreaking. I'm taking him off the x-books HARD. Otherwise, it was thoughtful, elegant and powerful -- everything a Mags story should be and everything we could count on Al Ewing for.
    I hear you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I'm starting to notice a trend of Al Ewing where he likes characters going "THIS IS THE FULL CULMINATION OF MY CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND THEMATIC ARC!!!" as they strut their power around and overpower and enemy.

I guess it makes sense for a guy who is more into the story, character beats, and continuity than he is the actual fights.
    Fights are definitely fun, but without actual character(s) to invest in emotionally, you might as well just be bashing action figures against each other.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

When they apprehend the ones who surrender, where are they putting them? Do Mutants have a jail?

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    When they apprehend the ones who surrender, where are they putting them? Do Mutants have a jail?
    That's a good question. Given how Orchis was entrusted with authority and power by the governments of the world to deal with "the mutant threat" . . .

Astonishing Member

Really well written, but it bothered me how Max basically goes "I barely remember all that character development I just had" and immediately is on the verge of being a homicidal maniac again in his internal monologue. It's been a really good series, but the whiplash of him crushed with guilt over all the death he's caused to suddenly sounding like the old Magneto with just a bit more restraint was a little odd to me. It feels like he could easily backslide into his old ways, whereas only an issue ago, it felt like he had undergone a profound change.