Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which X-Character Got The Most Out Of The Krakoa Era?

Which X-Character got the most out of the Krakoa era and who suffered the most? Who stands to lose and who stands to gain the most now that it's over?

Benefitted
    Storm
    'Berto
    Synch
    Kitty

Suffered
    Moira
    Xavier

Gains
    Magneto

Loses
    Xavier

Benefitted - Apocalypse, Storm, Synch, Madelyne Pryor, Kwannon

Suffered/not a great era for - Cyclops, Psylocke

Decimated - Moira
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

For me the main winners or the ones that benefitted more would be:

-Storm, with no doubt she is the biggest winner of the Krakoa era, X-men Red is the big proof of that.
    -Sunspot, all his time in X-men Red has been wonderful for him.
    -Stacy X, maybe she didn't have a big role, but she proved to be one of the most ethical characters of Krakoa, comparing how lowly many X-men treated her for her past as a prostitute, Krakoa has been a big victory for her.
    -Hope, I really hated her since her appearance in Generation Hope, I found her extremely annoying and bossy, Krakoa has done a lot to redeem her in my eyes, especially as she wasn't afraid of calling out the Council and their bs.
    -Thunderbird, the stories he had appeared since he came back have been wonderful and I usually don't like characters with an aggresive personality like him, but writers like Orlando or Ewing have proven to write him good.
    -Psylocke, I feel that during the Krakoa era, Kwanon has been able to find her voice and place.
    -Prodigy, after many years depowered, he finally recovered his powers in X-Factor and has proved how usefull he can be with his powers.

The ones that suffered most or losers are:

-Xavier, he was already on thin ice before Krakoa, but this era have proved how low he can fall.
    -Beast, what Percy did to him was completely character assasination, it will take a lot of effort from writers to make him recover from how ruined he ended during the Krakoa era.
    -Sage, I'm not a fan of her, but I respected her character and liked her competence, Percy turned her into an useless drunk. Hopefully she will return as a good character in the next X-force run.
    -Colossus, yet another victim of Benjamin Percy, all the story of him being a mind controlled puppet of his brother have been terrible for him, and I hope that he can recover from that.
    -Moira, I liked the initial direction of Hickman with her, but with him gone it was obvious that the next writers didn't know what to do with her and ended ruining her so much.
    -Rockslide, sadly he ended ruined the moment he ended replaced by boring and one dimensional Wrongslide.
    -Nature Girl, I don't know what they were thinking when Marvel approved X-men Green, but it ended ruining the character, and I hope she is one of the characters that die during Heir of Apocalypse (Foxe has teased deaths, so fingers crossed).

I'd add Polaris, Firestar, and Juggernaut to the winner's circle, given they won the fan-votes.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

How is Destiny not the most obvious answer? Grandma was straight up dead and gone before I was even born and then came back and was everywhere

Mr Sinister
    Destiny
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Mr Sinister
    Doug
    Krakoa
    Synch
    Mr Sinister

If Sinister isn't on your list, I don't see how any list is valid

Benefitted: Synch, Storm, Doug, Apaccy, The Five and of course Sinister

Suffered: Cyclops and Jean, Mystique and Destiny, Synch and Laura

Caught Strays: Emma, Hope and Exodus, KITTY
    Last edited by IN-a-Synch; 04-12-2024 at 07:55 AM.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Benefitted : Emma, Kitty, Storm, Synch, Kwannon, Magneto, Mystique, Destiny, Cypher, Sinister, Exodus, Hope, Madelyne

Suffered : Beast, Moira, Nature Girl, Rockslide, Colossus, Xavier, Betsy, Cyclops, Havok, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty, Synch, Laura

Fantastic Member

Losers

Cyclops - wasn't on the council. made to look dumb especially under Duggan

Kitty - Duggan really did damage to her. whether it was the lame party time on Marauders or on X-Men where she became kill happy.

Moira- more Duggan character assassination making her generic cartoonishly evil

Colossus - this ones too easy

Iceman - just party time

Synch - tons of time but Duggan made him as uninteresting as possible

Betsy Braddock/Rachel/Gambit/Jubilee - pretty much anyone on the Excalibur/Knights of X whatever titles. Howard's writing was as bad for characters as Duggan

Winners

basically characters that escaped Duggan's writing

Magneto, Storm, and Sunspot. Cypher through most of it.

forgot Exodus. please don't make him just another villain again.

Danger definitely suffered.

Akihiro aka Fang formerly Daken definitely benefited. Before Krakoa he was basically a sociopath who was constantly at odds with his dad. Now, he's become more heroic, has a new heroic image and name, is in a healthy romantic relationship, and basically got to be closer with his family.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Benefitted
    Moira probably benefited the most for me. I know Percy ruined her. But from HoX/PoX to Inferno, she was one of the most fascinating characters. Whenever I get friends to read HoX/PoX, Moira's always a hook. Any future adaptations related to Moira could easily ignore the Percy stuff, or tweak it to work.

Aside from her:
    Kwannon
    Cypher
    Storm
    Jean
    Magneto
    Stacy-X
    Dazzler
    Sinister
    Wind Dancer (She returned, got her powers back, reunited with her friends and worked with X-Corp)
    Apocalypse
    Rictor (he looked cute as a druid)
    Nanny
    Orphan-Maker
    Greycrow
    The Pretender
    Destiny
    Harry Leland
    Gorgon
    Mercury (She didn't do much, but at least she got a better girlfriend)
    Polaris
    Bishop (His hair made him look really cute)
    Daken
    Sabretooth
    Nekra
    Northstar
    Eye-Boy
    Gabby (Ayala actually made her almost likeable for once.)
    Sunspot
    Thunderbird

Suffered
    Monet (She got a lot of attention, but I felt like she was this insufferable idiot during X-Corp)
    Laura
    Rogue (She wasn't derailed, but she didn't do much, and her Romy mini was pretty unflattering)
    Gambit
    Rockslide
    Xavier (Overall I liked him, but he was so annoying in Legion's book)
    Omega Sentinel
    Oya
    Destiny (She got a huge glow-up so she benefited. But I missed her more ambiguous and softer side.)
    Anole
    Cannoball

Tactical Nuked
    Beast
    Nature Girl
    Moira
    Gwenpool (Making her aro made her suffer a bit. The fact that Whitley helmed it ensured she was properly irradiated)
    Last edited by Rift; 04-12-2024 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The biggest winners were those written by our Lord Ewing, namely Storm, Magneto, and Roberto, but I also loved his Thunderbird and Cable, even if they only got a taste. They won so hard, they will inevitably lose in the era to come, simply by comparison. Kwannon had a great showing in Hellions, but it was shortlived. Apocalypse gained a family, but lost his edge, so he's more a mixed bag. I did like Hickman's philosopher-king version, but overall his story petered out, so it's kinda neutral.

Hickman's opening was very strong for Moira, but ultimately she was drug through the mud after having been peacefully dead for two decades, so, she lost; hard. So did Sinister, who was overexposed and became horrible(contrast to '97's who is so effectively creepy and hidden in the shadows most of the time, just like he should be). Synch is another example of one who was resurrected after decades, but then just not handled well, to the extent that he lost too. Destiny might also be in this category, as nothing she did in this era that was better than her Claremont days three decades ago, including her age regression and being pegged as Kurt's mom in that hamfisted story. Xavier is in this category too.

You know, actually this era was defined by plot twists and hidden information coming to light moreso than characterization, so most characters actually lost a lot here. Especially if the character was written by Duggan. Considering how bad the line was before Hickman, though, maybe it's not all so bad. But looking deeper in the past you'll find better stories for basically everyone. Only Lord Ewing's crew really gained something.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The biggest winners were those written by our Lord Ewing, namely Storm, Magneto, and Roberto, but I also loved his Thunderbird and Cable, even if they only got a taste. They won so hard, they will inevitably lose in the era to come, simply by comparison. Kwannon had a great showing in Hellions, but it was shortlived. Apocalypse gained a family, but lost his edge, so he's more a mixed bag. I did like Hickman's philosopher-king version, but overall his story petered out, so it's kinda neutral.

Hickman's opening was very strong for Moira, but ultimately she was drug through the mud after having been peacefully dead for two decades, so, she lost; hard. So did Sinister, who was overexposed and became horrible(contrast to '97's who is so effectively creepy and hidden in the shadows most of the time, just like he should be). Synch is another example of one who was resurrected after decades, but then just not handled well, to the extent that he lost too. Destiny might also be in this category, as nothing she did in this era that was better than her Claremont days three decades ago, including her age regression and being pegged as Kurt's mom in that hamfisted story. Xavier is in this category too.

You know, actually this era was defined by plot twists and hidden information coming to light moreso than characterization, so most characters actually lost a lot here. Especially if the character was written by Duggan. Considering how bad the line was before Hickman, though, maybe it's not all so bad. But looking deeper in the past you'll find better stories for basically everyone. Only Lord Ewing's crew really gained something.
    100%

But I'll add Beast to the L-list.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Would anyone say Ms. Marvel benefitted by becoming a mutant now?