Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I was talking about this same thing on another thread and I'll just say what I was saying over there.

Grayson should be fighting organizations like HIVE or something, rather than the traditional super villain. This is a spy book after all and the villains usually die in the first story they appeared in. Blofield from James Bond lasted 6 movies but still got axed off in the end. I don't want an actual super villain but an organization.
    That's a pretty good idea. I wonder if that's even available, though. Isn't HIVE traditionally a Superman-family villain group?

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    Tiger Shark seems to fit in well against a super spy and he does have a bit of a history with Dick.
    Pretty sure he just showed up in Eternal, but yeah, I suppose he could show up in Grayson, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    That's a pretty good idea. I wonder if that's even available, though. Isn't HIVE traditionally a Superman-family villain group?
    No, they were originally a New Teen Titans villain group.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    No, they were originally a New Teen Titans villain group.
    Ah, well that would certainly work as opposition to Grayson, then.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Well, every good villain is either a part of the hero taken to an extreme or the mirror image of the character's main traits. Joker is chaos to Batman's order. Catwoman is the human element (sexualized) of Batman that is stunted. Penguin is the aristocratic side of Bruce. Riddler is the ultimate foil for the Detective. You might not agree with all of that, but you get the gist.

So what are Dick's defining traits - he is light and good instead of dark - that's why James Gordon Jr. works well with him imho. He is an acrobat, so I think he should have a villain who can more than match him physically, so that he has to use his wits - Lady Shiva? But ultimately I think he is the "sidekick" and the orphan - I think it should be a father figure of sorts who betrays the trusting side of Dick and does evil things that Dick can't fully comprehend. So really I think his villain should be a facsimile of Bruce Wayne, but one that has tipped over to the other side. Dark, physical match, mastermind, father figure - I think that's why so many like Slade Wilson, but I would rather they start from scratch and make it a Moriarity type who can surprisingly kick some ass.
    I like this!

Astonishing Member

I believe that theory is the standard operating procedure for creating Bat-villains. I have seen several DC creative personnel including Snyder reiterate the same lines basically.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    So what are Dick's defining traits - he is light and good instead of dark - that's why James Gordon Jr. works well with him imho. He is an acrobat, so I think he should have a villain who can more than match him physically, so that he has to use his wits - Lady Shiva? But ultimately I think he is the "sidekick" and the orphan - I think it should be a father figure of sorts who betrays the trusting side of Dick and does evil things that Dick can't fully comprehend. So really I think his villain should be a facsimile of Bruce Wayne, but one that has tipped over to the other side. Dark, physical match, mastermind, father figure - I think that's why so many like Slade Wilson, but I would rather they start from scratch and make it a Moriarity type who can surprisingly kick some ass.
    Kind of sounds like Owlman to me!

BANNED

Lori Elton is evil.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Grayson View Post
    Kind of sounds like Owlman to me!
    Owlman and Deathstroke both seem to stem from the need of a dark father type villain in Dick's Rogues Gallery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Owlman and Deathstroke both seem to stem from the need of a dark father type villain in Dick's Rogues Gallery.
    I like Owlman. He doesn't want to kill Dick--he wants to make him a bad guy, too. Which would essentially be killing the Grayson everyone knows and loves.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Lori Elton is evil.
    Sick reference, bro. Your references are out of control.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    DC needs a Hydra equivalent of some sort. Madame Hydra/Viper would be a great arch-enemy, particularly as written by Bendis in the sadly cancelled Spider-Woman series.
    They do have one. Cheshire and she was a foe of the Teen Titans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_(comics)
    Last edited by earl; 05-25-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

I don't think you can set out to make a villian like Lex Luthor or The Joker, you have to make good comics that define characters. What you get when someone tries to force such a thing you get characters like Hush or Tarantula which end up over the top and not really that well a rounded character.

It doesn't matter anyway, as Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing has an arch enemy and that is Deathstroke.

Dick could have talia al ghul as one of his main enemies. Leviathan vs Spyral let's do it!

Owlman has been set up to be a good nemesis for Dick.

What is cheshire doing in the new52? she would a cool enemy and roy took starfire dick gets cheshire. Trade!