Default World's Finest 28/E2 WW SPOILERS

I guess nobody read it since no comments?

Short summary: young Bruce and Clark are in trouble and Dianna saves both of them with help of Mercury. It also shows that Mercury bonded Eurus (minor god) so that Lois's soul might survive her death and eventually be revived as Red Tornado.

Problems:
    1. How hard is it to use google for 5 minutes and find out appropriate names for Roman gods? Apollo is fine since he has same name in both versions. Minerva and Mercury are from Roman pantheon, Aphrodite and Eurus are from Greek. Their Roman versions are called Venus and Vulturnus, I knew about Venus before and it took me two minutes to google out Vulturnus. But that was too much work for Levitz so we ended up with some kinda abomination of Roman (Earth-2 #1 mention other Roman gods and made it clear that in this Earth Roman gods exists while in main Earth Greek ones do) and Greek pantheons.
    2. Villain that tries to kidnap Clark is really stupid, she had her opportunity last issue when he was still a baby on Krypton and didn't do it, but now decides to do it when he already has some powers and is on Earth...
    3. This tale is told by Lois Lane Red Tornado... how the hell she knows this stuff?
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 11-13-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: obscenity removed

BANNED

I don't like the idea of WW being that much older than them AT ALL. Reminds me too much of Byrne's idiotic retcons.

BANNED

I like WW being older than batman and superman, being the first hero.

Levitz is really uninspired

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This tale is told by Lois Lane Red Tornado... how the hell she knows this stuff?
    I think it was pretty clear from the narrative that both Bruce and Clark told Lois these stories.

I thought the story was okay. I like the idea of Diana being a present hero before Bruce or Clark. Some of the motivations are weird, though. Her actions are heroic, but her motivation is...pride? A desire to atone for her "sin" of having sex with Steppenwolf? And what makes her so devoted to Mercury over Minerva? Still, establishing that she felt responsible early on only clarifies the intensely violent hack/slash Diana that we saw in the first issue - the one who'd lost her people and was losing her gods, and who, we now know, believed via Aphrodite that, essentially, it was her fault. Also, she refuses Athena's offer, and had she not, perhaps the Amazons would have lived.

Also, I liked the conflict between the Roman patrons and each having their distinct view of what should happen - it wasn't all harmony and agreement on Olympus.

I guess nobody read it since no comments?

Short summary: young Bruce and Clark are in trouble and Dianna saves both of them with help of Mercury. It also shows that Mercury bonded Eurus (minor god) so that Lois's soul might survive her death and eventually be revived as Red Tornado.

Problems:
    1. How hard is it to use google for 5 minutes and find out appropriate names for Roman gods? Apollo is fine since he has same name in both versions. Minerva and Mercury are from Roman pantheon, Aphrodite and Eurus are from Greek. Their Roman versions are called Venus and Vulturnus, I knew about Venus before and it took me two minutes to google out Vulturnus. But that was too much work for Levitz so we ended up with some kinda abomination of Roman (Earth-2 #1 mention other Roman gods and made it clear that in this Earth Roman gods exists while in main Earth Greek ones do) and Greek pantheons.
    2. Villain that tries to kidnap Clark is really stupid, she had her opportunity last issue when he was still a baby on Krypton and didn't do it, but now decides to do it when he already has some powers and is on Earth...
    3. This tale is told by Lois Lane Red Tornado... how the hell she knows this stuff?
    I would guess that the name jumbles are a throw back to pre-crisis, where Wonder Woman was known to jumble them herself, using both "Great Hera" and "Merciful Minerva"
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I would guess that the name jumbles are a throw back to pre-crisis, where Wonder Woman was known to jumble them herself, using both "Great Hera" and "Merciful Minerva"
    And Marston--in one of his origin issues, I think--has someone mention that Mars used to be called Ares. With that in mind, it makes sense that he didn't stick to one naming scheme; if the gods, having been around a long time and worshipped by different groups of people. had multiple names, then it wouldn't be too surprising that some gods' Roman names "stick" while others preferred to be called by their old Greek names. The same could be true now. I thought they gave the Earth 2 gods ROman names to distinguish them form their prime earth counterparts, but, unless the earth 2 gods are going to be brought back from teh dead, there probably won't be too many occasions to confuse the two pantheons. It was mildly distracting, but not a big deal to me.

I like the idea of Lois having been bonded with a minor wind god. They might be following up on something that Robinson said in interviews during his run--that Earth 2 was a more "metaphysical" world, and that even scientific-seeming origins like Atom's would have metaphysical (or supernatural) components.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I think it was pretty clear from the narrative that both Bruce and Clark told Lois these stories.
    But Mercury wipes their memories. I could understand that maybe when Lois died she would have remembered it due to Eurus preserving her, but why for example Bruce would remember what Mercury forced him to forget?

And what makes her so devoted to Mercury over Minerva?
    I found it suspicious that Mercury was referring to Diana as "daughter" and prophecy at the beginning said that she, just like her mother, slept with the enemy. Might it be that Mercury is her father in this universe?

I only read this title occasionally, so at first the narration totally had me thrown for a loop. Red and yellow/gold text boxes used to be a Wonder Woman staple, so when it got to a Lois flashback, I was wondering what the heck was going on.

I figured the use of Roman names was intentional, so as to make a bit of a distinction between Earth Prime and Earth 2.

Overall, I wasn't highly impressed by this story. Will probably not read the next few issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    And Marston--in one of his origin issues, I think--has someone mention that Mars used to be called Ares. With that in mind, it makes sense that he didn't stick to one naming scheme; if the gods, having been around a long time and worshipped by different groups of people. had multiple names, then it wouldn't be too surprising that some gods' Roman names "stick" while others preferred to be called by their old Greek names. The same could be true now. I thought they gave the Earth 2 gods ROman names to distinguish them form their prime earth counterparts, but, unless the earth 2 gods are going to be brought back from teh dead, there probably won't be too many occasions to confuse the two pantheons. It was mildly distracting, but not a big deal to me.

I like the idea of Lois having been bonded with a minor wind god. They might be following up on something that Robinson said in interviews during his run--that Earth 2 was a more "metaphysical" world, and that even scientific-seeming origins like Atom's would have metaphysical (or supernatural) components.
    On the multiverse map, there is only a Olympus/hell. Greek Gods are unique like new gods. it kind of conflict with it, but roman gods can be inferior to the Greek Gods.

But Mercury wipes their memories. I could understand that maybe when Lois died she would have remembered it due to Eurus preserving her, but why for example Bruce would remember what Mercury forced him to forget?

I found it suspicious that Mercury was referring to Diana as "daughter" and prophecy at the beginning said that she, just like her mother, slept with the enemy. Might it be that Mercury is her father in this universe?
    Robinson said she was born of clay, but since he is out of the book who knows.
    If WW has slept with steppenwolf before the time in this issue, Fury would be 40 years old and she always looked younger in her appearences.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-13-2014 at 02:59 PM.

The Steppenwolf reveal as Fury's father seemed weak to me when it happened. For some reason, I don't think this was the original plan but an easy way to wrap up Earth 2 with the changes from Robinson, to Taylor, to cleaning everything up in World's End. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

I don't mind being older than Bruce and Clark in this universe. It was a great twist that Robinson made Diana the first "Wonder" and could have been even more interesting had they developed that further in counterpoint to Earth 0.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    On the multiverse map, there is only a Olympus/hell. Greek Gods are unique like new gods. it kind of conflict with it, but roman gods can be inferior to the Greek Gods.
    Interesting. The legend or sidebar for the he map at http://media.dcentertainment.com/sit...9.11031355.jpg says this about Skyland (part of "the Sphere of the Gods"): "...Here is Asgard, Olympus, and the Throne of Zeus. The Pantheons of Celts, Mayans, the Divine Bureaucracies of China....each with a peak of its own." I'm not sure why they list Olympus and the Throne of Zeus separately from each other; maybe the "Olympus" that the list refers to is Jupiter's realm, and the Greek Olympus we've seen is referred to here as "the Throne of Zeus"? Otherwise, you're right that the Roman gods aren't included in the list of the pantheons, but I'm not sure it's mean to be comprehensive; maybe there can be other pantheons, each with its own "peak"in Skyland.

ETA--And the Underworld on that map includes both "Hades" and "the realm of Pluto," so it does seem like the Greek and Roman gods each have their own worlds.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 11-13-2014 at 04:41 PM.

BANNED

Well that kind of sucked. I say 'kind of' because it wasn't terrible, but it was far from good. What's up with them giving us pieces of information in drips and drabs? Is it just a marketing tool so WW fans have to buy these books we otherwise wouldn't have purchased? We should of had the whole story of Fury's birth by now, but they've been dragging it out forever.

The only cool part in the whole issue was Diana slicing the tractor apart. If we get anything like that in a live action version of WW it would make the movie for me.

As for the Greek/Roman names of the gods, it's been said Marston purposely mixed them up using the more familiar names for gods he wanted the readers to recognize instantly and the more obscure for when he wanted an air of mystery.

I figured Mercury kept calling Diana daughter because he's been her benefactor in so many interpretations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Interesting. The legend or sidebar for the he map at http://media.dcentertainment.com/sit...9.11031355.jpg says this about Skyland (part of "the Sphere of the Gods"): "...Here is Asgard, Olympus, and the Throne of Zeus. The Pantheons of Celts, Mayans, the Divine Bureaucracies of China....each with a peak of its own." I'm not sure why they list Olympus and the Throne of Zeus separately from each other; maybe the "Olympus" that the list refers to is Jupiter's realm, and the Greek Olympus we've seen is referred to here as "the Throne of Zeus"? Otherwise, you're right that the Roman gods aren't included in the list of the pantheons, but I'm not sure it's mean to be comprehensive; maybe there can be other pantheons, each with its own "peak"in Skyland.

ETA--And the Underworld on that map includes both "Hades" and "the realm of Pluto," so it does seem like the Greek and Roman gods each have their own worlds.
    I didn't read the description. so yeah the different gods share the place.