Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

So I'm still waiting for the Star Sapphires to get their own book. They seem like one of alternate corps that could easily hold their own series. And yes, Carol is cool. However, I'm really not a fan of the Kyle/Carol thing, it just seems really forced and contrived. Oh and this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3T06FkIyHE...GLNG%230_1.jpg

is an awesome costume (certainly better than the one that she had before).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    It does actually, good conversations are the best samples of chemistry on any relationship.
    Yes, but the way they've done it with Kyle and Carol is to basically just insert basic flirty jokes into what would otherwise be deemed normal dialogue that might as well be taking place between two completely platonic friends. No actual sign of really deep emotional or sexual tension. Basically, just "Oh, hey we have fun on adventures in space together and we joke around well together...I think I'm in love with you now." If that's all that's needed for love to blossom, then I should be in love with at least 7 of my friends. As others have said, it does feel forced.

Carol and Hal have actual emotional and sexual tension in their relationship, which feels natural and doesn't feel shoehorned, like it does with Kyle and Carol.

Moments like this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-11 at 11.51.49 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-05-11 at 11.52.05 AM.jpg

and this:

and this:

Btw, those last two images from Final Night should be bigger. Damn you, computer!
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-11-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Always Rakzo

Welp, the sexual tension thing happened in the Annual already.

Extraordinary Member

Welp, the sexual tension thing happened in the Annual already.
    Yeah, I read the annual. If you call that sexual tension, bud, you're doing it wrong...

Like all of the Kyle/Carol shipping that came before it, it felt forced and shoehorned.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, I read the annual. If you call that sexual tension, bud, you're doing it wrong...

Like all of the Kyle/Carol shipping that came before it, it felt forced and shoehorned.
    Dude it has been happening for a year now, it's not forced anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Dude it has been happening for a year now, it's not forced anymore.
    But like I said, they've basically been inserting basic flirty jokes into otherwise normal dialogue for a year. It doesn't matter how long they've been doing it, it matters how they do it, the manner in which it is executed. And, I'm sorry, but to me, the way its been executed makes it feel forced and shoehorned.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I thought for sure one of my favorite comic covers would be posted here, especially given the thread's title: SUPERMAN 261.

Attachment 1584
    Damn, Superman is into some kinky stuff!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

For some odd reason, I really miss reading about married superheroes. Some of my favorite Spider-Man comics were from when he and Mary Jane were married, because we had to see Peter juggle the issues surrounding his marriage and the superhero stuff. It just adds so much more to the dynamic of the book, I think when the hero/heroine has a wife or husband waiting for them at home.

And now that Animal Man has been cancelled, I really can't find that anywhere. Aquaman and his marriage isn't the same. So, I was excited to see Carol and Hal settle down because it would add so many story possibilities. Hal and Carol could go have space adventures together....but would still have to make it back to Earth by 3:00 to pick up their kids from school . Corny, I know, but its just one of several possibilities.
    Trust me, you're not alone.

I, too, miss married superheroes. One More Day drove me away from Spider-Man. Spider-Man! My first love out of all of comics! I thought NOTHING could EVER make me turn against that book........and then Marvel seemed to go ahead and make it their mission in life to do EXACTLY that. I also miss Scott and Jean (the day that marriage ended was the last day I ever gave a DAMN about Cyclops.) I miss Arthur and Sue Dibny. I miss them all.

I really never will understand why DC and Marvel think that marriages are bad for their books. Marriages, by definition, are the combining of two entirely separate families. Even at their most basic level, marriages introduce new people into people's lives. In a superhero world? Tons of stories can result from even THAT much. Then, of course, marriages are all about two people building a life together and including each other in their daily routines. Again? Stories abound there. Marriages make characters deeper and more relatable in a lot of ways. Even IF you've never been married, or even been in love, you can understand easily why Spider-Man may behave differently in a situation where Mary Jane is in danger.

It makes no sense how the people in charge view these concepts as bad things today.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Anyway, going back to Carol herself, as opposed to her relationships, we need some more awesome pictures!

IMO, they should have just gone with covering up some of the exposed areas on this costume, when designing her new one.

On another note, I did always like her costume from the eighties and nineties for some odd reason.

I know...unsavory scene...but the costume looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

But like I said, they've basically been inserting basic flirty jokes into otherwise normal dialogue for a year. It doesn't matter how long they've been doing it, it matters how they do it, the manner in which it is executed. And, I'm sorry, but to me, the way its been executed makes it feel forced and shoehorned.
    Exactly.

It came out of nowhere. Carol and Kyle have NEVER in their entire history been shown as being REMOTELY attracted to each other. Then? Suddenly? Carol breaks up with Hal out of nowhere and she and Kyle start flirting and circling each other in a romantic sort of way. Hell, Carol's ring somehow views Kyle as her True Love, or whatever, just out of the freaking blue? Where the Hell did THAT come from?

I also don't care how long they've been flirting, the flirting came out of NOWHERE and it has YET to be explained. It also just feels wrong because it happened hot on the heels of Carol dumping Hal. If they'd waited a year, and just had Kyle and Carol being friends, with no romantic overtones whatsoever, and THEN had them start getting romantic, it would make more sense. But as it stands, they just had Carol throw away one relationship and practically jump right to another one for no good reason.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Exactly.

It came out of nowhere. Carol and Kyle have NEVER in their entire history been shown as being REMOTELY attracted to each other. Then? Suddenly? Carol breaks up with Hal out of nowhere and she and Kyle start flirting and circling each other in a romantic sort of way. Hell, Carol's ring somehow views Kyle as her True Love, or whatever, just out of the freaking blue? Where the Hell did THAT come from?

I also don't care how long they've been flirting, the flirting came out of NOWHERE and it has YET to be explained. It also just feels wrong because it happened hot on the heels of Carol dumping Hal. If they'd waited a year, and just had Kyle and Carol being friends, with no romantic overtones whatsoever, and THEN had them start getting romantic, it would make more sense. But as it stands, they just had Carol throw away one relationship and practically jump right to another one for no good reason.
    Well, maybe that's the point, though. They might just have it all explode when Hal finds out that Kyle is alive and that Carol and him are hooking up. And maybe in the fallout, they'll explore why exactly Carol broke it off with Hal...which will probably lead to a situation where she'll have to confront the realities of whether her and Kyle are really in love...or whether she just jumped into the arms of the first guy after Hal as sort of a rebound.

And, to be clear, I'm not saying this to devalue Kyle, because I like him, I really do.

Oh, Carol's awesome to be sure. Her best portrayal is in New Frontier:

And I'd like to point out that there are more GL appreciation threads here than there are in the WW boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I also miss Scott and Jean (the day that marriage ended was the last day I ever gave a DAMN about Cyclops.)

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Well, maybe that's the point, though. They might just have it all explode when Hal finds out that Kyle is alive and that Carol and him are hooking up. And maybe in the fallout, they'll explore why exactly Carol broke it off with Hal...which will probably lead to a situation where she'll have to confront the realities of whether her and Kyle are really in love...or whether she just jumped into the arms of the first guy after Hal as sort of a rebound.

And, to be clear, I'm not saying this to devalue Kyle, because I like him, I really do.
    That'll probably happen in the next event right after Uprising (which hasn't been confirmed yet, but I'm calling it).

BANNED

This was always one of my favorite Carol covers, I think she looks particularly striking here despite wearing the much-maligned Johns era costume. The issue itself was also a nice showcase for her, leading her corps into battle in defense of their homeworld and taking Sinestro head on.

As for her relationship status, while I'm not really a Kyle fan they do have a pretty good chemistry that she hasn't really had with Hal in some time. Now that she's an established full-time ring wielder, it doesn't really make sense to go back to the old dynamic where she pined after Hal and he had to choose between his duties as a Green Lantern and being with her. And while they could conceivably fight side by side while in a mature relationship, Hal would basically cease to be Hal in that situation. I also want to see Carol interact with her own corps some more, I didn't really like how her stint as queen apparently ended off panel and would've liked to see her in that leadership role some more.