Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Carol seems like the kind of person who is adept at juggling many hats but isn't quite sure what she gets out of it all, especially since there are few stories told from her perspective. Especially with regard to her relationships, I think Carol is very much in love with the idea of Hal Jordan as this cocky, courageous action hero, but has quite a bit less esteem for the reality of a mentally adolescent loser that needs constant babysitting and who idealizes her in a similar way without being able to connect to the real person. This is confusing enough for anyone, but for a supposed "soldier of love" it must be quite a predicament on top of all of her other responsibilities.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Carol seems like the kind of person who is adept at juggling many hats but isn't quite sure what she gets out of it all, especially since there are few stories told from her perspective. Especially with regard to her relationships, I think Carol is very much in love with the idea of Hal Jordan as this cocky, courageous action hero, but has quite a bit less esteem for the reality of a mentally adolescent loser that needs constant babysitting and who idealizes her in a similar way without being able to connect to the real person. This is confusing enough for anyone, but for a supposed "soldier of love" it must be quite a predicament on top of all of her other responsibilities.
    A perfect description for Venditti's Hal Jordan.
    Last edited by Damos40; 05-18-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    A perfect description for Venditti's Hal Jordan.
    He's pretty competent right now.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Thanks PwrdOff and Rakzo for answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Carol is a great character. I'd like to get her pulled out of the Green Lantern realm for a bit as I think she'd be an excellent addition to the Justice League. She's smart, brave, resourceful, a skilled pilot , etc.

She needs to be on team where she can become more of an individual.
    I'd like to endorse this. Carol would be a cool addition to a JL team. Maybe we should talk Lemire into having join the JLU?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Seems a little more levelheaded than straight up competent. Either way I'm basically stopped reading Green Lantern for the first time in a long while. I dislike the recent issues that much.
    Last edited by Damos40; 05-18-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Only in comparison to how stupid he was acting in previous issues.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Always Rakzo

Seems a little more levelheaded than straight up competent. Either way I'm basically leaving Green Lantern for the first time in a long while. I dislike the recent issues that much.
    Too bad, I thought they were a pretty good improvement over the previous issues, the pay-offs for the initial sub-plots are already coming and some of the character work is pretty good.

I expecially like how incredibly distinct Venditti has make each member of the Corps from one another.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Only in comparison to how stupid he was acting in previous issues.
    Again, I didn't see him really stupid (at least not any more than how he was portrayed by Johns on the New 52), he was just put in a different situation that he's not accustomed to. That's happens in many organizations.

Spectacular Member

Too bad, I thought they were a pretty good improvement over the previous issues, the pay-offs for the initial sub-plots are already coming and some of the character work is pretty good.

I expecially like how incredibly distinct Venditti has make each member of the Corps from one another.
    Well to be fair, since I'm in college right now, it's becoming increasingly hard for me to get to a comic book store, and I use my money for important items. It's not just Venditti's run has just made me quit the main GL book, but other things as well that has made me quit the GL line as a whole.

I would like to read current GL issues, but I've got little time to do so. I'm off for the summer, so maybe I'll find some time to buy some comics.

Always Rakzo

Well to be fair, since I'm in college right now, it's becoming increasingly hard for me to get to a comic book store, and I use my money for important items. It's not just Venditti's run has just made me quit the main GL book, but other things as well that has made me quit the GL line as a whole.

I would like to read current GL issues, but I've got little time to do so. I'm off for the summer, so maybe I'll find some time to buy some comics.
    Hey no prob, I hope you eventually get to read it.

Spectacular Member

Hey no prob, I hope you eventually get to read it.
    Thanks. I especially really want to read the latest issues of GLC and RL, since I actually thought those comics were going pretty smoothly before I ended up choosing to "jump ship" (so to say).

Ultimate Member

I'm still waiting for DC to put out a Star Sapphire book. The Red Lanterns have one, as does Sinestro, heck even Larfleeze got one. The Sapphires strike me as one of the easier corps to do a book about, certainly more so than the Reds and Larfleeze.

BANNED

DC has caught a lot of flak for its depiction of women, putting someone like Carol in the spotlight would hardly be a wise move from this standpoint.

Ultimate Member

Why? When she's portrayed well, she's fantastic. Give her a book with a good creative team and a talented creative team and let them do their thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Why? When she's portrayed well, she's fantastic. Give her a book with a good creative team and a talented creative team and let them do their thing.
    There aren't many characters in DC's stable that lean more heavily on sex appeal than Carol Ferris. Even her "repressed" civilian self isn't afraid to show off and the ring just takes that up several notches. This kind of character requires more of a subtle hand to write properly, having Carol run around punching hoodlums and spewing feminist creeds just won't do.

On an unrelated note, just as Hal Jordan's look was based off of Paul Newman, Carol's appearance was modeled on Elizabeth Taylor.