Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

I'm starting to miss her. I wish she was put on a new R.E.B.E.L.S. book or another cosmic team without either Hal or Kyle around as hangers-on. I'd love to see her develop (platonic) relationships with characters other than the GLs to grow beyond her usual role.

I keep forgetting Carol has an appreciation thread given how often we talk about her in Hal's thread. I feel like a bad fan .

But yeah, I hope there are plans for her, either solo or in the Green Lantern books. I miss being able to read about Star Sapphire .

Though I guess I can look forward to her Justice League Action appearance (whenever that is)...

I know that DC now retconned Star Sapphire as a type of Lantern.

But, what we're Carol's powers back before this retcon? I know of flight and force bolts only.

While she wore the gem in her tiara, I never saw it flash or light up during her power usage, the way a lantern ring does. The powers seemed focused out of Carol's hands.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I can't be the only Superman fan who finds this Appreciation title choice kind of offensive.
    Surely you can come up with something that uplifts Carol without subtly putting down Kal?

(She asked with her most polite and reasonable Girl Scout voice. Not that I was ever one, but still. )
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Where the heck has this thread been hiding? Looks like I found a new home (Hal appreciation fans rejoice!). Probably not the best choice of titles if you want people to take the character seriously, but in a post new52 world, we take what we can get.
    Save Ferris...

Maybe it's just me, but while I can understand apprehension about the title, I have to respect how bold it is .

It's also a little misleading. On quick glance, I thought it was a superman thread.
    Save Ferris...

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Yep. Clicked on it at the first mention of Big Blue without reading the rest.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Astonishing Member

there's a carol ferris appreciation thread? who found this? how?

BANNED

BAWSE

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post

BAWSE
    Like I said, bold .

Astonishing Member

BAWSE
    Not really seeing a downside for Superman here.
    Save Ferris...

BANNED

If you take all the different appearances that Carol has had in various adaptations, there are a lot of interesting idea there that hint at something compelling. The problem is that if you actually go back to the source material, you don't really get any of that and she's pretty much just your standard mopey superhero girlfriend, and it's especially egregious that she's taking steps backwards while comics as a whole are trying to give women more prominent roles.

If you take all the different appearances that Carol has had in various adaptations, there are a lot of interesting idea there that hint at something compelling. The problem is that if you actually go back to the source material, you don't really get any of that and she's pretty much just your standard mopey superhero girlfriend, and it's especially egregious that she's taking steps backwards while comics as a whole are trying to give women more prominent roles.
    There is so much potential to really develop a character who is flawed in a very human way, yet she finds a way to grow and overcome. But as it stands now, it's just a big missed opportunity. The Kyle thing hurt her, and then you look back at this goofy Superman stuff and it's no wonder why most people at DC would rather brush this one aside. I would've loved a Star Sapphire book, at a time when Sinestro, Red Lanterns, even Larfleeze got their own. But for now, we wait and count the cameos.
    Save Ferris...