Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Universal Creative Monsterverse Team Revealed And Potential Monster Roster

http://screenrant.com/universal-mons...riters-reboot/

It looks like the roster may have, or has, been revealed. It feels to me like they've left out a potentially BIG name, or character, unless a previous film is actually a part of this, as has been said in the article.

Otherwise, and unless it's been kept under wraps, one of the biggest monsters, and certainly for Universal, is being, to me, very sadly left out.

Of course, might be happy to see one female monster amongst those names, whoever may play them, and however they're portrayed, and to see a lot of predicted, or usual ones, on the roster.

But, of course, maybe that's something a lot of you might DISlike, in actuality, when you could include a few more obscure names, up the female count, or, put in some old favourites of Universal, like the Phantom of the Opera, that have sadly been neglected.

Of course, Avengers started with a Hulk film, some Iron Man films, a Thor film and a Captain America film, with those four, Black Widow and Hawkeye in the lineup, so a potential Phase Two of this verse could potentially add some of those, and that could well be quite welcome, well done, and even include further films in relation to the above, original roster.

But, we will, indeed, see how it goes.

Not sure about the team, not too bad, or good, me being mostly unfamiliar with majority, bar, say, Kurtzmann, but, good they have one, especially this early.

Extraordinary Member

the article keeps freezing while I read it. what does it actually say

That's good to hear. At least they have some quality people in there like the guy that wrote Prisoner and the guy that wrote Bates Motel.

I think they should think about contacting Mark Frost for this. He wrote one of my favorite adventure novels ever, "The List of 7". That has Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, Zombies, shape-shifters, demons, action, suspense, secret cabals and attempt to conjure the Devil and it ends with....Hitler. Crazy book. And at the heart of it are two brothers facing each other, one good, the other Evil.

If it were me, I would give the whole thing to Stephen Moffat, he did amazing work on Doctor Who, I know he wasn't the original conceptor but they managed to adapt something for a modern audience better than even Marvel did with their Avengers franchise(IMO).

---------------

BTW, I had these ideas:
    -You could easily turn Phantom of the Opera into a Batman-type, he is a dark character but not Evil, just misunderstood, he's got the cool lavish look to him mixed with the mask and the terror he conjures.

-Have him team with Van Helsing(not the Hugh Jackman-type but at least younger than Anthony Hopkins). Say both are from a secret order that combat supernatural evil.

-I could see Van Helsing being a cerebral type but he has a few talismans along the way, I guess he could be a sort Warlock a la Constantine.

-A Nefarious-type steals the Victor Frankenstein book wanting to re-create the experiment(guessing to create an army of zombies). So that's how the two agents Phantom and Van Helsing come into play.

-To counter this, they get the scrolls of the Mummy but screw up and bring forth Ramses. It would be sort of the same character from the Mummy flicks but somehow Van Helsing and Phantom would convince him to join their rank by saying they may know where the reincarnated version of his dead lover may be. His powers would be different from the Mummy flicks as it would be mainly linked to sand like the Sandman. He would sometime wear the bandages, sometime not.

-The Evil man's first attempt at re-creating Frank's work is a woman that he knew. She is pissed that he revives her and rejects him. He tries to kill her with more electricity, but before he get rid of her, she is rescued by the Phantom. Then Helsing with his talisman "sees" that it's Ramses' lover from the past. (he doesn't say it to Mummy right away though). She would be a sort of Bride of Frank. Maybe she would have electric powers, given we are in the super-hero business and the Frank family has strong ties to electricity. Ramses is smitten by her even though he doesn't know she's his beloved.

-Eventually they'll face the Evil Man. But what I would do is not have the Frankenstein's Monster in there. Not just cause to give Lady Frank some face time but cause he's the more famous monster of them all and I would like this to hang over this series and how it would turn into "The Search for the Frankenstein Monster" where maybe we could see him in the third flick.

-Composition of the team would be:
    Phantom of the Opera(co-leader)
    Abraham Van Helsing(co-leader)
    Mummy
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde
    Wolf Man
    Gill Man

-Little note is that since both Wolf Man and Jek/Hyd would be shape-shifters, I would have Jekyll/Hyde in a Two-face mold where one side is Jekyll and the other side old Hyde like he changed so many times than in the end both personas won but were stuck like this. It would lead to funny situations in the movie plus it would prevent Hyde acting as the muscle of the team, cause I have another guy for the job, Gill Man. A creature that would be stuck and imprisoned at a place somewhere inside the organization many secret bunkers that Phantom and Van are part of. And they would use him as their most dangerous weapon a la Hulk. You throw him where the danger is and he causes damage.

-About Wolf Man, I'm not sure where to go with him, I was thinking maybe to have him being an agent of the secret organisation that helps these guys and then Van Helsing could use a dark mystic enchantment hidden there and uses it on him where he would accept willingly, to change the tide in the battle. Since we're going to a more super-heroish way, he could be human, Wolf Man and complete wolf where he would change into these three forms in battle when the need arises(like if he has to escape, he should go full wolf to run faster). Of course anger and emotion would be part of the character, constantly struggling to control the beast.

-Second movie's villain could be Dracula. In the franchise he could be what Magneto is in the X-Men movies, sometime good, sometime bad. Think of all the potential character situations between him and Van Helsing. I want a younger Donald Sutherland-type with a mustache and all for this.

I thought about all this in 15 minutes, surely Universal can do better?
    Last edited by Da Boat; 11-14-2014 at 11:50 AM.

BANNED

Are we just going to be oversaturated with movie universes that all tie in together? Anyways, if they are going to do this they really should of used the comic versions of these monsters. For instance, if they had Marvel Dracula we could also have things like Dracula with a castle on the moon that shoots vampire missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Are we just going to be oversaturated with movie universes that all tie in together? Anyways, if they are going to do this they really should of used the comic versions of these monsters. For instance, if they had Marvel Dracula we could also have things like Dracula with a castle on the moon that shoots vampire missiles.
    I would welcome a Tomb of Dracula movie tomorrow but knowing Marvel, they would probably use the lame Dracula we've had in their books in recent years.

BANNED

But the recent years had vampire missiles!

Vampire missiles? The hell?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Vampire missiles? The hell?
    Marvel Dracula in comics as recently in the last few years had a base on the moon and he shot vampire missiles. Essentially..well, yeah, shooting specially bred vampires missile style at Earth, from the moon.
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-14-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Marvel Dracula in comics had a base on the moon and he shot vampire missiles. Essentially..well, yeah, sticking a vampire in a cannon and shooting it at Earth.
    That is hilarious.
    Also, wouldn't the vampire burn up in the atmosphere?

BANNED

Well these were specially bred vampires, so I guess they did that taking into account reentry and stuff. Yeah..Marvel Dracula is much cooler then any other version. He has an army on the moon.

BANNED

It's too bad that the best female characters this list has to offer is the Bride of (somebody). I know the actual name but saying it would take away from my point.

Well these were specially bred vampires, so I guess they did that taking into account reentry and stuff. Yeah..Marvel Dracula is much cooler then any other version. He has an army on the moon.
    That's pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    It's too bad that the best female characters this list has to offer is the Bride of (somebody). I know the actual name but saying it would take away from my point.
    Well, there weren't any classic female monsters to choose from I guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    -A Nefarious-type steals the Victor Frankenstein book wanting to re-create the experiment(guessing to create an army of zombies). So that's how the two agents Phantom and Van Helsing come into play.
    How about another mad scientist steals Frankenstein's journal and uses his ideas about lightning and electricity to create the Electric Man from Man Made Monster.

Also, the monsters should be a team created by Dracula and there should be a team of monster hunters consisting of Abraham Van Helsing, Victor Frankenstein, Helen Groevsner (from The Mummy, revamped as an archaeologist/occult expert) and Larry Talbot (when he's not The Wolf Man). Classic good vs. evil and have Frankenstein's Monster caught in the middle.

Just spitballing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star
    Well, most of the female monsters were offshoots of the male ones. Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter, etc. In order to have more female fiends in there, they'd have to either create new characters or use some really obscure monsters like the Ape-Woman from Captive Wild Woman or the transforming snake priestess from Cult of the Cobra.

As for who was left out, yes I know that some people are disappointed that The Creature from the Black Lagoon wasn't on the list. But one has to remember that he was a '50s sci-fi monster that was kind of grandfathered into the line. So, maybe what they could do is have phase one be all the gothic monsters and then have phase 2 be a revamp of the Atomic Age creatures like The Mole People, Monster on the Campus, The Leech Woman and yes even our beloved Gill-Man.

Da Boat, I would just point out that, though Stephen Moffat is the current Head Writer or Showrunner of Doctor Who, the previous one, and the man responsible, for bringing it back, is Russel T Davies. From Rose, the Series Premiere, to The End of Time, the goodbye to David Tennant, the 10th, and the hello to Matt Smith, the 11th.

Also, by just listing the different options, however obscure, AdamFTF showed that there are a fair few options other than Draculas' Daughter, who slipped my mind until now, or the one that pops to my mind, Bride of Frankenstein.

No shame in being a Bride, or a Spider-Girl, or Supergirl. Heroes, monsters, in their own right, but shooting off, as Adam said, from pre-established, or at the time, bigger monsters. I'm sure there's more options, but long as they do it well, and have the Bride be a great monster, connected and not dependent on Frankensteins' Monster, as he would not be on her, supposedly.

And, if the Bride herself has her own new film, like Wolf Man, or Mummy, then even better than Marvel, with none female led in their first Phase.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's pretty sweet.

Well, there weren't any classic female monsters to choose from I guess.
    I know. Such a pity.