Page 736 of 776 FirstFirst ... 236636686726732733734735736737738739740746 ... LastLast
Results 11,026 to 11,040 of 11633

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Just because something is set in the past doesn't make it non canon. Besides I dont understand DC fans obsession with assuming everything is non canon until proven otherwise when it should be the other way around. King repeatedly has to clarify that Mr Miracle is canon every few weeks. If its not canon DC will market it as such.
    I think the OP was talking about Super Sons non-canon release such as the Super Sons graphic novel. He/she didn’t mean Tomasi’s Adventure of Super Sons isn’t canon, but the release other than that/afterwards. Adventure of Super Sons is canon, I believe, even though it’s set in the past.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The story is Batman vs Deathstroke, a character study that examines and puts these 2 head to head against each other like never before. It it becomes acclaimed and serves as a definite Deathstroke story that even double functions as a great Batman story then Priest's story will have accomplished its purpose. Everything else is marketing, Priest isn't going to sully the legacy of his own arc by in anyway making Damian and Slade related because he's writing a once in a life time story and DC isn't going to taint Damian's marketability. If DC is also serious about making Slade a Batman villain then they're not going to let this story get bogged down by a preventable controversy.
    No Justice, Prelude to the wedding and TT 20 preview as well as Glass's interview in DC Nation 1 make it clear that Damian is son of Batman. Besides good mysteries are not about shock reveals, its about the journey from point A to B. Priest understands that, in this entire run he has thrown turns and swerves to keep everyone guessing but he has not done anything remotely for a permanent shock factor just to leave his mark. You wont find anything like that in his 30 previous of Deathstroke. Same goes for JL, all the hoopla over the Jessica kiss/potential romance with Batman amounted to nothing.
    Even in the story so far, the mystery of Damian's parentage is subdued, its used to put the characters in each others crosshairs, to play with the theme of family. Damian is already the son of a hero and a villain. DC gains absolutely nothing by adding another villain in to the equation, Damian already has a bad side represented by the al Ghuls. Narratively or in terms of marketability DC gains nothing where Damian is concerned and it only would serve to make this story controversial or liable to be retconned. They brought Damian back from the dead against Morrison's wishes and started pushing him as Son of Batman, introduced Superman's son in response and then created Super Son only to make Deathstroke who traditionally hasn't really been a Batman villain in a Deathstroke book Damian's father? do you really think that makes sense?
    If it means Damian might appear in more Deathstroke issues, and potentially keep a boost on the numbers the way this story has, I could definitely see them doing something, even if it later gets un-done.

I doubt they will, I fully expect this to just be a good story, told by a re-enthused and excellent writer. But, if they did do something with the parentage, I honestly dont think most people would care - some would probably find it cool and for Damian, it's yet another part of him he'd have to fight - in the old nature/nurture argument will the lessons and genes of Batman and the Bat family take deeper root than the genetics of Talia and Slade?

I'm not saying it would be a better way of presenting Damian than just as Son of Batman, but it could add another wrinkle that could help, more than hinder, all the characters involved.

And while yes, Priest does understand how to tell a good story, every writer wants to leave their mark on something, and if he's got permission and feels this might help him tell another story down the road, then I still think we could see it suggested that Damian is some sort of genetic Chimera.

Again, not saying it would be the best outcome, but I dont think it can be ruled out just because Damian is going to continue on as Son of Batman for marketing purposes
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Because Priests Deathstroke is at its core a soap opera. It has been that way from issue 1, the book is about who sleeps with who, whose plotting behind each others backs, how Slade affects those close to him, how his family in turn tries to undermine him. Family is the one angle that a writer can use to set up Deathstroke as Batman's nemesis. They have other evil Batmen in the likes of Prometheus, Bane, Killer Moth who could feasibly be used to tell most of the stories that can be told with Deathstroke but family is the one area Batman has no real evil counterpart in. That's why family plays such a big role in Deathstroke vs Batman and Damian's parentage is just keeping it consistent with the soap opera angle.
    Well said! The reason Priest went with "who is the father" is because being a father is so central to Batman and Deathstroke's characters and missions. And this question of heritage really makes people question what fatherhood and being a son means - that's why we have the interviews with Joseph and Robin. I very much hope that Damian can shrug off the worry about whose genes he has and say something like, "I don't care who donated genetic material to me - I've chosen to fight for good with my father Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    If it means Damian might appear in more Deathstroke issues, and potentially keep a boost on the numbers the way this story has, I could definitely see them doing something, even if it later gets un-done.

I doubt they will, I fully expect this to just be a good story, told by a re-enthused and excellent writer. But, if they did do something with the parentage, I honestly dont think most people would care - some would probably find it cool and for Damian, it's yet another part of him he'd have to fight - in the old nature/nurture argument will the lessons and genes of Batman and the Bat family take deeper root than the genetics of Talia and Slade?

I'm not saying it would be a better way of presenting Damian than just as Son of Batman, but it could add another wrinkle that could help, more than hinder, all the characters involved.

And while yes, Priest does understand how to tell a good story, every writer wants to leave their mark on something, and if he's got permission and feels this might help him tell another story down the road, then I still think we could see it suggested that Damian is some sort of genetic Chimera.

Again, not saying it would be the best outcome, but I dont think it can be ruled out just because Damian is going to continue on as Son of Batman for marketing purposes
    I mean, I've said it before, but whether Damian has genes from Bruce or not, Bruce loves him desperately, and that isn't going to change even if he has some tampering. He's still Bruce's son because of the love and training Bruce has given him.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fanfan13 View Post
    I think you should if it stresses you out. Me on the other hand will keep reading it because I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested to find out where this story’s heading.
    And if you're going to act like a moral fake read the entire reply at least. It just was a suggestion for people who don't want to get stressed with this bad argumented story about Damian's biological father.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Mommy Dearest

The worst mother of the world.

BANNED

Ugh, please NOT Spawn of Deathstroke. I mean, we ALL knew it was only a matter of time until DC would pull out the sperm donor storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well said! The reason Priest went with "who is the father" is because being a father is so central to Batman and Deathstroke's characters and missions. And this question of heritage really makes people question what fatherhood and being a son means - that's why we have the interviews with Joseph and Robin. I very much hope that Damian can shrug off the worry about whose genes he has and say something like, "I don't care who donated genetic material to me - I've chosen to fight for good with my father Batman."

I mean, I've said it before, but whether Damian has genes from Bruce or not, Bruce loves him desperately, and that isn't going to change even if he has some tampering. He's still Bruce's son because of the love and training Bruce has given him.
    I agree that Bruce would love Damian no matter if he has his genes or not but that’s not the main problem here. I’ve said this before, but having blood relation with Bruce is what makes Damian Damian, his character development all this time has been centered around that. So retconning it out would be the same as retconning his core origin. His development would lose its meaning. It’s like Superman is revealed not to be Kryptonian. Damian is a Wayne and an al Ghul in blood, the fruit of both house, and I personally don’t want that to change. That’s why I don’t agree to the idea of that “whether or not”, he does and there should be no question about it especially since Damian has been developed so much (maybe if it’s still in his early stage I wouldn’t mind this much).

I also feel the same way about that “tampering”, though with less emotion. It’s not at all changing his origin but I just don’t think it was a good development for Damian. It was really unnecessary, especially if it’s only handled in one controversial title and people would forget afterwards. I would prefer this arc ends with nothing and only as a gimmick rather than that. But I have no problem with people who like this development and if it turns out that way then good for them. I will personally ignore and treat it as simply non-exist then.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrant View Post
    And if you're going to act like a moral fake read the entire reply at least. It just was a suggestion for people who don't want to get stressed with this bad argumented story about Damian's biological father.
    Did I say something wrong?
    I am aware it was a suggestion but I thought you feel a lot bothered with Deathstroke that’s why I gave your words back to you, but if you’re not then my mistake for having said that.
    I also have a friend who felt really angry after reading the first two issues of the arc and I said it’s better for her not to continue reading it and ignore it. It’s no use to feel so much negativity because of a mere comic.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Exactly, Priest is a writer who wants to be remembered, how? Partially changing Damian's fatherhood. He wants his Deathstroke to be remembered, to have more history and that is why he is making this story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BenThousan View Post
    Exactly, Priest is a writer who wants to be remembered, how? Partially changing Damian's fatherhood. He wants his Deathstroke to be remembered, to have more history and that is why he is making this story.
    Hopefully it's all just a tease.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BenThousan View Post
    Sorry, you're just projecting or being paranoid or want your theories to be justified. DC has given you guys plenty of evidence in the last month which is being wilfully ignored un favor of a panel where Damian's face was half obscured. Please read No Justice and Prelude to the Wedding.
    As for what Priest wants no one knows so there's no point in projecting. There's logistics to decision making, making Damian in any way related to Deathstroke hurts their "Son of Batman" angle that they have been pushing since his resurrection. They've got TT, Adventures of Super Sons, Arkham Asylum 2, Snyder's Last Knight, Percy's Nightwing, the Zoom Super Sons series featuring Damian the remainder of this year and the next. Priest did not create Damian, Deathstroke is not a Batman villain, the Bat editorial, Morrison, Tomasi and Gleason have projects with Damian in the future and have extensively written him in the past. You think DC will screw them all? Deathstroke got its sales bump which can guarantee it another 12 or 15 issues. They dont need Damian to keep the book on the stands once Batman leaves.

There's a Robin sale on at Comixology

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Spotli...ale/page/18716

Good Gallery but.. This needs one image of Robin:Son of Batman comic.

I hope not. We see that he has a son who has a normal life in the future which means that he finds love and cobbles together some sort of life outside the cape.

He's future looks rosy and richer than Bruce's ever was.
    He has family. Brothers, friends and mentally he's already better balanced than his father.

Even his reason for fighting is healthier than his fathers. Bruce is trying to make sure no other kid goes through what he did [a goal he will never achieve]
    Damian is fighting because it's the right thing to do so he wins every night he steps out.

Plus being a Wayne and an Al Ghul He'll be 100 times richer than Bruce ever was so even better gadgets.

As a 10 year old he built a flying Batmobile. Imagine what he'll be rocking when he grows up?

hmmmm.. Batman 666 was darker than Bruce and I heard that even SS showed something similar... I think that the situation will be the same than now(old bruce as the new alfred) and the kid mother is death or another villain like Talia..

HOWEVER, This kid seems NORMAL. Not another trained kid, no robin. The kind of kid that only heards hero stories and nothing more.
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-13-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrant View Post
    The worst mother of the world.
    Despite that.. Today I can say that I am happy that the LEAGUE and not KOBRA CULT is Batman enemy and Damian was with them... Look Zoe Lawton and imagine Damian with a similar costume in his first appearance and educated by these lunatics.

DC Zoe Lawton deadshot daughter Kobra Cult.jpg
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-13-2018 at 07:55 AM.