Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Voice In The Dark

Issue #7 comes out on the 21st, and the trade hits shelves on 6/11. Here are the covers!

The next arc, which will jump to color (colored by my wife, who colors the covers), begins in September. It'll be a new #1 with a summary of the story so far Locke and Key style, so it's a good jumping-on point for anyone who sat out the first run because it was black and white.

Always looking for new comics to pick up.

Just looked it up on Amazon...sounds like an interesting premise. I'll check it out when I get back home the end of June.
    Thanks for the info!
    Writer of Lore and Legends for Mice Templar.

Really enjoyed the first few issues of this but just kinda fell behind somehow.
    Ill have to catch up and check out the new series.

Thank you both! Here's the Templesmith sketch variant for the first issue of the new mini that starts in September:

Nice, good to see it's continuing! I've pre-ordered the first trade collection which comes out in June or July I think. If I like it a lot I'll probably jump on for this new series. If anyone unfamiliar with this series is looking at this thread, the first issue is online for free. Use this link: http://topcow.com/files/AVITD001_reader_web.pdf

June 11th! And yes, #1 - which is 36 pages of sequentials - is at that link for free.

Hope this is OK to post here. Don't want to take the focus off the work and the comic but just saw this on bleeding cool:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...eator-in-need/
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

All-New Member

I'm actually kinda bummd about this.

1-7 is awesome. the trade is coming out. things are great. it is black and white too!!! love it!

Now we have to wait 3 months the the next issue? and it will be in COLOR? I mean color is cool I guess, and I don't mind doing it, but wouldn't that just cut into the printing costs?

I see that the sales went from 10k to barely 2.8k from issue 1 to 5.

So we're not getting #8? it's going to restart?

I was hoping for an actual run.

I'll still check it out I guess, but someone that has been loyal from day one... this just kinda bumms me out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wake View Post
    So we're not getting #8? it's going to restart?

I was hoping for an actual run.

I'll still check it out I guess, but someone that has been loyal from day one... this just kinda bumms me out a bit.
    It sounds more to me like a 'season 2' kinda deal? Plus it'll be coloured so it's like a new & improved version that continues the same story. Larime Taylor said earlier in this thread it will feature a quick recap of 'the plot so far' for new readers who might jump on board because it's a new #1 comic, but then it will just continue the story we're currently on. Sounds to me like only a good thing: story goes on, but now in full colour! Numbering doesn't bother me; Marvel does this all the time, so why can't an indie?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

All-New Member

its cool I guess...

I understand why he's doing it... we just need people to buy this damn book. it's really good and people just don't know.

they'd rather buy rehashed moon knight and green lantern etc...

come on man. this is fresh. I can do color. I just hope it doesn't rip away the feel of the 1-7

Its the same colourist that does the covers right?
    Id be okay with that

All-New Member

yeah it's his wife. the covers are great. the colors in the book won't be as flashy because the uses more gradients on the covers.

I just hope it is done correctly. it looks like color is official for it.

I really hope she uses a dim color setup... to compliment the writing.

Hey guys! Sorry I've been AWOL, getting ready to move this weekend to Las Vegas. My wife and I need a fresh start, and we have family there that can help us out.

So about the book! We're going kind of LOCKE AND KEY with it going forward, doing it in 5-issue arcs, each with a different subtitle. It's largely a psychological thing, but it's a fact that new readers are more likely to jump in on a new #1 than a #8 or #13, or... Stores order bigger, too. Combine that with the transition to color and it made sense to have #8 be the new #1. Also in L&K style there will be a summary page of sequentials on the inside cover recapping the story in broad terms for new readers. And the simple truth is I either need to attract more new readers or cancel the book and do something new. Top Cow has been great about it and left the decision to me, and I decided to give it one more shot for all the loyal readers rather than just moving on to My Next Thing.

It'll still be the same book you've come to love - #1 starts on a seriously tense flash-forward, and everything after catches you up to that moment. The color scheme my wife will be using is very muted and desaturated, lots of cold grays (I'm still flatting it) with splashes of more vivid color for blood and such, so no - it won't look exactly like the covers as she hand-paints (digitally) those over several days, but more like the current style, just with better shading and in muted color. Still very noir.

I really hope you guys enjoy it, and I hope that new readers will as well. I'm not writing it differently or changing the subject matter to be more 'mainstream' or 'commercial' - Ash will still be chunky and swear like a sailor, Zoey will still be lanky and awkward, it'll still be the same story I planned all along. It'll just be in color and come out in arcs as my wife's health can be an issue and I'd rather have 2-3 months between arcs than ship late in the middle of one. I have NEVER missed a deadline. I intend to keep it that way.

Sylv

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wake View Post
    yeah it's his wife. the covers are great. the colors in the book won't be as flashy because the uses more gradients on the covers.

I just hope it is done correctly. it looks like color is official for it.

I really hope she uses a dim color setup... to compliment the writing.
    Thanks!

I've been hand-tinting the lines because gradients aren't precise enough, but yeah. We want the covers to be flashy on the shelf, but we want the interior colors to serve the story, which means they'll be more muted and monochrome and desaturated to keep with the noir feeling Larime set.

All-New Member

well now I know the reasoning behind this whole thing I'm okay with it. I'm still going to be a fan. The writing is great, and the color is going to be dry with bright for emphasis on the blood scenes etc...

That sounds great.

So 1-7 is done. The new 1-5 coming in Sept will continue the story from 7?

Or is it self-contained.

Great job guys on this book. I'm trying to pass the word along, and maybe this new idea will help the success of it? Either way I'm a huge fan... 1-7 was magical. Regardless of the sales... it was incredible.

Thanks