Astonishing Member

Default She-Hulk (2014) #10 *Spoilers*

The issue picks up exactly where the last one ended with Steve Rogers on the stand. He gives his version of events, where we learn that Harry Fogler was working for a Nazi cell. The man in charge says to kill all of them unless Harry can kill his brother Sam and Steve. Unfortunately, he can't. At this point, Steve gets mouthy which does indeed result in Sam's death. The FBI makes a move and shuts down the whole operation. Flash forward to the present, where Jen asks why none of these events were documented in police records to which Steve replies "It's classified."

The next few days of the trial proceeds and we find out what Patsy has been up to. She was hired to break into a government facility and retrieve the federal case files related to this event. Unfortunately it's not admissible in court, what with being stolen.

Matt and Jen make their closing statements. The jury finds the defendant _________.

Steve tells Jen and Matt that this was all a play by Dr. Faustus to tarnish his reputation in his last days. They take down Faustus.

Jen and her team head back to New York to be greeted by Jen's long-term nemesis, Titania, who wants to talk about the Blue File.

I will say that this was not my favorite issue. It was technically strong, yes, but the issue was more about Steve Rogers than it was about the titular character. Still, it was nice to see Jen and Matt throw down in court, especially since Steve had imposed a handicap against Jen.

This is definitely one of those issues that I really appreciate Pulido for, especially since there is so much talking involved. His less...impactful art work really works well here. There are no grand objections and not a lot of fisticuffs and it never gets in the way of the story.

Solid issue, if not particularly exciting.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I agree with you Ceebiro. I really enjoyed the arc until the ending, which just seemed flat. Not bad exactly, but a bit dull. I've loved the series, so I can live with a "meh" issue.

The last panel though. Bring on Titania.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 11-14-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    The issue picks up exactly where the last one ended with Steve Rogers on the stand. He gives his version of events, where we learn that Harry Fogler was working for a Nazi cell. The man in charge says to kill all of them unless Harry can kill his brother Sam and Steve. Unfortunately, he can't. At this point, Steve gets mouthy which does indeed result in Sam's death. The FBI makes a move and shuts down the whole operation. Flash forward to the present, where Jen asks why none of these events were documented in police records to which Steve replies "It's classified."

The next few days of the trial proceeds and we find out what Patsy has been up to. She was hired to break into a government facility and retrieve the federal case files related to this event. Unfortunately it's not admissible in court, what with being stolen.

Matt and Jen make their closing statements. The jury finds the defendant _________.

Steve tells Jen and Matt that this was all a play by Dr. Faustus to tarnish his reputation in his last days. They take down Faustus.

Jen and her team head back to New York to be greeted by Jen's long-term nemesis, Titania, who wants to talk about the Blue File.

I will say that this was not my favorite issue. It was technically strong, yes, but the issue was more about Steve Rogers than it was about the titular character. Still, it was nice to see Jen and Matt throw down in court, especially since Steve had imposed a handicap against Jen.

This is definitely one of those issues that I really appreciate Pulido for, especially since there is so much talking involved. His less...impactful art work really works well here. There are no grand objections and not a lot of fisticuffs and it never gets in the way of the story.

Solid issue, if not particularly exciting.
    Now, if only Steve had had it this together at the beginning of Civil War, and realized when it was time to use the courts and Congressional hearings and the press, and when it was time to punch out the bad guys (which I guess in that instance would have been Nitro and Walter Declun).

Astonishing Member

Oh I definitely agree with you on that. I think Civil War could have been a lot more interesting had they actually gone about it through legal means and lost or had to make concessions rather than superhero fisticuffs. It would at least given us a better understanding of why characters chose the sides they did. Sure it may not have set up Cap to die, but I do think it would have been a better story.

Also, it's about time Patsy Walker gets another shot at an ongoing. She's just so darned likable and probably my favorite cat-themed character at the Big Two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Oh I definitely agree with you on that. I think Civil War could have been a lot more interesting had they actually gone about it through legal means and lost or had to make concessions rather than superhero fisticuffs. It would at least given us a better understanding of why characters chose the sides they did. Sure it may not have set up Cap to die, but I do think it would have been a better story.

Also, it's about time Patsy Walker gets another shot at an ongoing. She's just so darned likable and probably my favorite cat-themed character at the Big Two.
    Maybe losing the Super-Soldier Serum has actually enabled Steve to think more clearly and not always jump to the violent (even if not lethal) solution... less testosterone running around in his bloodstream or something.

BANNED

I have to say I was surprised by the villain reveal of this issue. I never thought he would show up during the case and that he was the cause of this.

Now lets go to the main event of SHe-Hulk vs Titania.

I really enjoyed this issue's conclusion and who was really behind the court case and really looking forward to Titania, She-Hulk show down.

We saw 1940's weak Steve Rogers lose his only and last friend in this. After this past encounter in LA, Steve was friendless and miserable. But that frail and weak Steve Rogers shined in the way he spoke to that Nazi about what was going to happen to the Nazis in this war and why they were so afraid of words from a weakling. If that dumb Nazi put a bullet in Steve Rogers head then and there, there would be no Captain America as we know him. That FBI agent saw the quality of the heart in that weak frame and was certain the world needed Steve, because Steve was worth 10 men.

Why Dr Faustus would want to attack Steve Rogers with this false account from Steves past is the strange thing. As far as I recall, Faustus didn't want anything more to do with the red Skulls plan to kill Rogers before Cap was killed in Cap #25, and Faustus left. That Faustus returns for this trivial moment and a punch in the face, seems like utter vindictiveness.

The ploy of Caps to hire Matt Murdoch to run the case against Steve was a bit degrading for Matt especially when Steve called Matt a dark character that people would believe wanted to win the case. I thought Matt would feel wounded by that assessment. And giving the police file of the 1940 incident, (who keeps files that old anyway) to She -Hulk seemed to be honey to the bee. Why wouldn't Jennifer just go against Caps wishes and present the file as evidence, after all is their a statute of limitations for secrets in the USA? Jen could even have got the file released under freedom of information acts, so Steve Rogers shouldn't have worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Now, if only Steve had had it this together at the beginning of Civil War, and realized when it was time to use the courts and Congressional hearings and the press, and when it was time to punch out the bad guys (which I guess in that instance would have been Nitro and Walter Declun).
    The CW experience paid off, because now Steve is sending out Hellcat to steal evidence for his cases, when in CW he decided it was too difficult to do that. I always wondered what Steve learned from his defeat and death in CW. I suppose now Steve has more patience.